Sponsored

Pedal commander?

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
My question about these devices is what they actually do. Do they simply 'magnify' pedal inputs?

For a very hypothetical example: I press the pedal down 15%, now the throttle plate opens 30% instead of 15% for a larger response. Car goes faster for any given accelerator input.

*or*

Do they increase responsiveness by removing the delay that is typical of drive-by-wire systems - for example, I press the pedal down 15% and the throttle plate still opens to 15%, but now it does it in 0.25s instead of 1s, and the delay between pushing the pedal and moving the throttle plate is reduced? This would make it feel more like an old car with a mechanical throttle cable.

I feel like it's the first one. Which would "feel" like the car is more responsive....if you don't also have cars with a mechanical throttle cable to compare them to. But I'd be much more interested if it were the second. I have a few other older cars, and they just feel so much more responsive (even with fractions of the HP).
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My question about these devices is what they actually do. Do they simply 'magnify' pedal inputs?

For a very hypothetical example: I press the pedal down 15%, now the throttle plate opens 30% instead of 15% for a larger response. Car goes faster for any given accelerator input.

*or*

Do they increase responsiveness by removing the delay that is typical of drive-by-wire systems - for example, I press the pedal down 15% and the throttle plate still opens to 15%, but now it does it in 0.25s instead of 1s, and the delay between pushing the pedal and moving the throttle plate is reduced? This would make it feel more like an old car with a mechanical throttle cable.

I feel like it's the first one. Which would "feel" like the car is more responsive....if you don't also have cars with a mechanical throttle cable to compare them to. But I'd be much more interested if it were the second. I have a few other older cars, and they just feel so much more responsive (even with fractions of the HP).
Speaking specifically for the Pedal Commander, I believe it depends on the mode.

For example “city” is pretty much normal throttle input with immediate throttle response. There is no overreaction of throttle input. It feels like what you expect a cable driven throttle to do.

Regardless of the setting, the electronic delay is 100% gone (except in Eco mode, which makes it worse).

You can amplify “Normal” with several sensitivity settings. It won’t cause the car to feel like it’s at 80% throttle with a 20% input. Sport and Sport + can, depending on how it’s set.

For anyone that hates on these devices, I get it. Do they add power? Absolutely not. Do they make your car accelerate faster though? Absolutely yes.

Until you’ve driven a tuned GT or used this device, you may not know just how atrocious the stock throttle response is.

I never considered buying one of these and would always overlook them because I thought it was silly. A mod that doesn’t add power.. cool. That is, until a buddy at work accidentally ordered another one and said “try this, you’ll thank me later”.

The car is way, way more fun to drive now. I usually use Sport on the second setting. Sport + is for entertainment or racing only, it’s a pain if you’re trying to drive normal.

“Eco” is like valet mode and increases the throttle delay and only allows for a certain % of max throttle. It would be a great prank to throw a young driver the keys and video their frustration.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I installed this unit for a few weeks. Could never find the right settings. Almost all settings above normal were over sensitive and every setting caused a pulsing at throttle tip in. I have 4 yrs of powertrain warranty so not willing to do a tune at this time.
Maybe it was just the brand I used. But I did not like it and I removed it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9VR4B2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Mike@SolerEngr

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Stingray, 2021 GT Premium

*or*

It is similar to the first example you described.

To defeat the second issue/example we have our modified throttle bodies, soon to come to Ford. we are testing them right now here by forum members. See this thread>

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tle-bodies-for-gt350-500.169277/#post-3439852

Mike@SolerEngr

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I installed this unit for a few weeks. Could never find the right settings. Almost all settings above normal were over sensitive and every setting caused a pulsing at throttle tip in. I have 4 yrs of powertrain warranty so not willing to do a tune at this time.
Maybe it was just the brand I used. But I did not like it and I removed it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D9VR4B2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
This is why we have a much wider spectrum of settings, zero pulsing. Please try us at no risk, if you do not like it for any reason you have 30 days from the day you receive it to return it and get your money back, shipping included.

Sponsored

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
Waste of money for me. I have a manual 2017 GT and all it does is make the throttle more sensitive. It does not increase throttle response whatsoever as advertised

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T

*or*

For the Pedal Commander: All it is is sensitivity. It does not shorten the response time. I have experimented between modes and stock response time by pressing the gas pedals and waiting until the engine actually moves and it does not change the response time whatsoever. adjusts the sensitivity of the throttle, nothing more.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Do you have any recommendations on stealth mounting I’d prefer if it was out of sight but I’m not sure what I’d do with the wires.
I had one and just placed it under the dash near the front of the console area. It has an app you can use to adjust it so there no need to have access to the controller.
I said had because I didn't really like in my Mustang because when I'd get it set in normal mode it would be to sensitive in sport or track mode. I moved it to my F150 and love it in the truck.

Mike@SolerEngr

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
correct way to install these devices is to remove them from the
Vehicles and depositing them in dumpsters at least 20 feet away. Then spend your money on a decent tune from a reputable shop.
A tune cannot do what the controller does and vice-versa. They do not compete, they complement each other.

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'm a fan of Sprint Booster, I put it on my Bullitt.
The car seemed very lethargic without it.
Afterwards, I loved it, made a big difference in the enjoyment of the car.
It's one of those things where you really need to experience it to understand the fun factor involved.

Sponsored

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
A tune cannot do what the controller does and vice-versa. They do not compete, they complement each other.
with a fly by wire throttle, a tuner can absolutely write into the tune so the throttle body opens at a faster rate in relation the the pedal.

All those pedal devices are gimmicks that don’t make a car any faster. If people want to spend their money on something like that, that’s their business. But if I want quicker throttle response I’ll just call my tuner and he’ll send me a new tune that does that (like my E85 tune has)

number 6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It absolutely can make your car faster in timed trials such as 0-60 or 1/4 mile.
It can open the throttle faster than you can by slamming down the accelerator pedal.
I've heard folks testing where it reduced times by 0.3 - 0.5 secs.
Watch the video in post #40.

But that's not really the point, it's the fun factor that's so beneficial here.
Sprint Booster cost $300 and is easily added (or removed), so if you don't
want to mess with your warranty, it's a worth while investment.

Mike@SolerEngr

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
with a fly by wire throttle, a tuner can absolutely write into the tune so the throttle body opens at a faster rate in relation the the pedal.

All those pedal devices are gimmicks that don’t make a car any faster. If people want to spend their money on something like that, that’s their business. But if I want quicker throttle response I’ll just call my tuner and he’ll send me a new tune that does that (like my E85 tune has)
Correct, that is equivalent to only one of the 64 possible controller settings. If you want a lesser or greater response, you have to call for another tune, and iterate until they meet your spot. If there's bad weather you cannot dial it down. You cannot set it to ECO if you feel like saving fuel. Does not give valet mode or serves as a theft deterrent...and many other things the controller can do at a touch of a button. You cannot hide the tune, and you cannot DIY (except for a few enthusiasts).

Agreed, it would be a gimmick to advertise these as adding power or making faster times. That's why we stated clearly on our site "Zero power addition".

We have many customers who enjoy these with their tune.

They are not mutually exclusive. You can tune and control the throttle response.

Thanks!

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Why don’t you don’t like this mod for the Bullitt? Aren’t there any settings on it that are an improvement over the factory settings?

I just ordered a similar part from Soler. I’ve always felt like the Bullitt was a slug below 4K rpm. Hopefully this will work well for me.
The Pedal Max is a "simpler" product. There's one dial and you increase it from 0 to 100. It simply makes the throttle more sensitive which in turn increases throttle response.. With the lower gears of a Bullitt and the switching to Sport mode, that's plenty for me.

That being said, I still have it installed, but have only used it twice for very short periods of time in the last couple of years. It works exactly as advertised, it just isn't for me anymore.
Sponsored

Last edited: