OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Ford Performance cylinder head covers and a JLT drivers side catch can. Thanks everybody.

I guess this is a good excuse to hit CotA again soon this year… for testing purposes.

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Not the most fun install. The passenger side access to the last couple cam cover bolts and wiring hardness clips is Bad. The drivers side would have been fine if I hadn’t yanked the wiring hardness and ripped a wire out of an injector connector (whoopsie).

the dang Steeda Pro intake is almost too big to fit with the JLT oil separater, but it seems to work.

hopefully this does the trick.

501DC4B9-9270-4C23-9CDB-50E7F38BA166.jpeg

E0ACB7A0-0BEF-4107-802E-ECCDFF4BE372.jpeg

327369C7-264F-4EB0-B14A-B76D1EA8CD30.jpeg

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Not the most fun install. The passenger side access to the last couple cam cover bolts and wiring hardness clips is Bad. The drivers side would have been fine if I hadn’t yanked the wiring hardness and ripped a wire out of an injector connector (whoopsie).

the dang Steeda Pro intake is almost too big to fit with the JLT oil separater, but it seems to work.

The easy way to remove the passenger side rear bolts is to remove the bolted on metal panel that you can get to after removing the battery
If you need any of the special harness zip ties that push in the valves covers, let me know, i have a bunch of them

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

The GT500 cam covers solved my oil breather issues at COTA. I also have the GT500 oil separator, so if you still have problems that might be next for you.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The easy way to remove the passenger side rear bolts is to remove the bolted on metal panel that you can get to after removing the battery
If you need any of the special harness zip ties that push in the valves covers, let me know, i have a bunch of them
I should have mentioned removing the battery box and that heat shield, the passenger side is an easy swap with that removed.

Do you have a part number for those harness anchors that go in the valve cover holes?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I should have mentioned removing the battery box and that heat shield, the passenger side is an easy swap with that removed.

Do you have a part number for those harness anchors that go in the valve cover holes?
Was not able to find a part number from Ford because they come attached to the harness and don’t carry a separate part #
But i was able to find the same ones from an aftermarket source

E06ED5CB-8DAA-4B2A-8AA7-2523115F114F.png

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
So I’m getting a ton of oil smoke when going 10/10ths but only after a loong left sweeper.

GT w/ 80k miles. ‘18 intake manifold. Everywhere else on track its fine. Drivers side catch can is ok, only a bit of oil. Definitely oil in the passengers side line tho and no catch can on that side

Technically its 16-17-18 at Cota and it smokes putting power down on apex at ‘19. At 8/10ths it doesnt donit. Car is definitely faster through there than its ever been.

Im thinking may need a new set of valve covers, possibly upgraded ones and a passenger side catch can. Do the GT500 valve covers fit the GT?
Was the smoke coming from the exhaust. Was black flagged today for smoke. They didn’t see any leaks. Nothing came on dash. Temps were good. It happened last year. Both time in the similar spot on the track. I believe after a hard left. I drove home both times including today without any issue or smoke. I thought it was a loose oil filter but I checked and it was on tight. However I did see like three or 4 droplets of oil on the filter access panel. Thinking this could be my fix even though i only have 33k miles.

OP
OP
NightmareMoon

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Was the smoke coming from the exhaust. Was black flagged today for smoke. They didn’t see any leaks. Nothing came on dash. Temps were good. It happened last year. Both time in the similar spot on the track. I believe after a hard left. I drove home both times including today without any issue or smoke. I thought it was a loose oil filter but I checked and it was on tight. However I did see like three or 4 droplets of oil on the filter access panel. Thinking this could be my fix even though i only have 33k miles.
What year? Smoke from the exhaust could easily be this and unless its a lot you may not notice when it happens.

Pop off your PCV line from the cam covers and inspect for signs of oil. The drivers side should be bone dry unless you’re getting oil past the baffles in the cam covers. In which case the Ford Perf aluminum/GT500 cam covers will help (but you still may want a catch can).

A little oil in the passenger side line is normal and most people run a catch can for that.

Since I did the cam cover upgrade I have absolutely no oil in that drivers side catch can, but I haven’t been back on track, just autox, which normally wouldn’t quite cause it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Honest curiosity, why do you say that? I asked a few people at the track if I should be looking at an oil pan (its been on my radar) but didn't sound like it would help with the specific issue I was having?
You're getting oil into the cylinder one way or another. I think controlling the windage would be a pretty good path to follow and it all starts in the pan. On the bright side, if you can reduce the windage, you'll see a drop in oil temp and pick up some power.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase