Passenger side fuel pump diagnosis

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Way more vehicles than my wife is happy about
2016 GT350, Ran great yesterday. This moring was idling and died, crank no start. Fuel guage reads half. No codes. 2 PSI fuel rail pressure on scan tool. Suspected right side pump not running. Put about a gallon in the tank and it popped right off with good fuel pressure. Fuel pump test with our scanner doesent specify which pump or both. Test running and only hear sounds from main pump on drivers side. Mitchel usually is helpful but in this case it seems to just focus on the main pump. After an hour on google and mitchell Im not any closer than when I started.
How do you test the right side pump? Should I hear it running at the same time that the left one is running?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's easy enough to access the fuel pumps. Just pull out the rear seat base. From there it's just a couple of covers and you can test voltages and hear/feel the pumps.

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
So evidently I was wrong, there isnt a pump on the passenger side, just a fuel level sender and a pickup tube that stays in the tank. Not sure how to verify if its a pump or line issue coming the right side. Mitchel isnt helpful this time. Put some gas in and the guage goes up to3/4 which would be about right with the right side full and the left about half.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
2016 GT350, Ran great yesterday. This moring was idling and died, crank no start. Fuel guage reads half. No codes. 2 PSI fuel rail pressure on scan tool. Suspected right side pump not running. Put about a gallon in the tank and it popped right off with good fuel pressure. Fuel pump test with our scanner doesent specify which pump or both. Test running and only hear sounds from main pump on drivers side. Mitchel usually is helpful but in this case it seems to just focus on the main pump. After an hour on google and mitchell Im not any closer than when I started.
How do you test the right side pump? Should I hear it running at the same time that the left one is running?
Your car has 2 pumps in the bucket, and there is no pump on the passenger side. Just a sending unit and a tube that uses venturi to pull fuel over to the driver side. Just replace the entire assembly. FR3Z-9H307-F

1714509988912-br.png

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Usually with a EFI fuel pump setup you could bypass the entire car, tap the pump wires direct with a power source to see if the fuel pump(s) will fire off or not. If you’re tapping it directly with a power source and the pump doesn’t fire off then it’s certain the lump(s) is dead.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
If this was a regular customer vehicle I would agree with you and just go that route. However, the fact that this one has 7,800 mi on it, and the fact I have had literally everything off of the car that unbolts, unplugs, unclips and many many panels that were previously welded. I want to try and figure out how to verify if it's just a case of the pump died, or did something not get hooked up correctly in the reassembly process. The tank was out, but I do not remember ever pulling the sending unit out of it.

20220523_194244.jpg

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
This one will run if there's gas in it. The issue is it's not pumping gas from the right side of the tank to the left side. Or pulling it over I guess is how it works. Just need to figure out how to verify the wiring for the two and then it's actually a pump and not a wiring or a connector issue.
Sponsored