Part # Oem GT500 wing?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
AC: I certainly don't doubt your statement but I for one would like to see a wind tunnel video of both configurations. It seems to me that raising it too high would put the wing outside the area of laminar flow along the body surface. Granted, it might be "cleaner" air but I'm wondering how much drag, if any would result and what speed range is the goal. Obviously, many racing teams opt for very high wings so clearly, there's something to it but again, I'd like to see the wind tunnel data. Additionally, many if not most of these high wings are computer-controlled so the angle of attack changes constantly.
The GT4 and FP350S guys who run Daytona have mechanically adjustable wings with presets (just like the stock wings). The wings you are thinking of are active wings, these are not an active wing. As for placement and height, I would think that Ford and its racing division as well as each racing team has done enough research on the matter so that I probably wouldnt need to see any data. I do believe that making a wing like this active would be beneficial. You need more downforce at maneuvering speeds, and not as much during high speeds. The big barn door wing at near top speed is generating a large amount of drag, slowing your acceleration and decreasing your top speed. For me? I'll probably buy a seperate CF lid, mount the high wing (with reinforcement), and call it a day.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tom: I do understand the difference but my point was that in this discussion, you can't compare a high fixed wing with a high active wing, it wouldn't be apples and oranges.

So, do you know the aerodynamic reason(s) that give a high wing the advantage? Me thinks it's just cleaner air.

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Tom: I do understand the difference but my point was that in this discussion, you can't compare a high fixed wing with a high active wing, it wouldn't be apples and oranges.

So, do you know the aerodynamic reason(s) that give a high wing the advantage? Me thinks it's just cleaner air.
Here is a good watch for you. This dude no longer makes YouTube videos after being hired by an F1 team!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Good clip, thanks, although it brought back some less than happy memories of college. <grin>

What I forgot about was the lever of the drag coefficient vs the CG. Makes sense so the ideal "height" is essentially the optimum height for a given vehicle.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, excellent video.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ronaldwalter

ronaldwalter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby
We will start with the OE 500 wing. Simply adding taller rear uprights changes the aero for the whole car. GT4 and GT500 have different front ends, spoilers etc.
Does anyone knows the height of these 2 wings? Measuring from the trunk lid to the wing it self.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I figured this was the best place to put it but I came across APR's post on FB. They announced that they are releasing their CFTP wing next week in case anybody in interested.
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 5.04.47 PM.png

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Interested to see under the decklid as it doesn't look like they are using a dogbone to help spread the loads. Looks promising though!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I figured this was the best place to put it but I came across APR's post on FB. They announced that they are releasing their CFTP wing next week in case anybody in interested.
How much?

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I messaged APR on Instagram yesterday and they just replied and said MSRP is $1250 and social media discount (I believe you have to mention this upon order) is $1062.50

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I messaged APR on Instagram yesterday and they just replied and said MSRP is $1250 and social media discount (I believe you have to mention this upon order) is $1062.50
I looked at the "add the painted lid" option at about $1900...... That is above and beyond the price of the wing. Then there is the Xpel option of about $400.

Then wing price seems reasonable. If it is a true CF replica of the OEM wing, it would be a great deal. I notice the winglets are adhered using screws, unlike the OEM wing. If it was an identical aerodynamic wing, I would buy one but I would probably forgo the painted lid and Xpel.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I don't see any part of it replicating the OEM CFTP or GT4 wing. Similar, kind of, but that's it. That is not to say it isn't a heck of a value as it may very well be.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I don't see any part of it replicating the OEM CFTP or GT4 wing. Similar, kind of, but that's it. That is not to say it isn't a heck of a value as it may very well be.
OEM GT500 carbon fiber wing is way way cooler and better looking.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
OEM GT500 carbon fiber wing is way way cooler and better looking.
I agree for sure. Just figured it’s an option for those who can’t drop 16k for OEM or wait for AC.

I know some OEM parts cost less to get them with the car than separately but like @kilobravo said the cost of the wing makes the CFTP look like a steal.
Sponsored