Sponsored

Opinions on BOV adapters

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Having now received and installed the MMR intake, I'd like to update that you do indeed get that nice BOV sound when you let off the gas above 2k rpm's and it's not annoying like the Boomba adapter which sounds terrible and seems to be venting all the time..

I'd also like to report that the induction noise with the MMR intake is godly. I absolutely love it. It transformed the car for me.. I enjoy driving it twice as much just from hearing that air rushing in and that BOV hiss. I don't know what the intake actually does performance wise on a dyno but I will tell you that it feels a bit stronger on take off from a dig.

Before I used to get a lot of aggressive drivers in civics, altimas, maximas, chargers, hyundais trying to show off or egg me on.. since I've installed the MMR intake and you can clearly hear that beautiful induction noise and BOV, I haven't really had anyone attempt to pull on me or cut me off Lol..
Sponsored

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I have the Boomba adapter. The adapter is a fine product. Well made.
However, the factory bypass valve is annoying as hell. It was cool to hear for a couple months. If that. I yanked it off and with my open element CAI the factory BPV is still annoying. I'm super close to getting IC piping with a mechanical BOV because the factory unit is so annoying.
Sorry for repeating myself but I really do dislike it that much.

But if your set on VTA I do like Raibyn's solution. When I removed my BOV adapter there was oil residue on the neighboring rubber hoses. Not a lot. But I didn't like that there oil at all. The filter is a good idea.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I've had three different intakes. Stock with K&N, JLT, and MAP.

I'm staying with the MAP for a number of reasons:

-Less space occupied in engine bay.
-IAT's similar to (or better) than the stock airbox in all conditions.
-Mounts to the fender

They all make power, IMO none of them offer any advantages over each other except for what I mention above.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I highly doubt there is literally any difference in gains between any of the CAIs. I would go off of build quality. I would highly recommend the mishimoto cai, it looks awesome under the hood

TheWildman

Jazz Master
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona EcoBoost Base (PP)
Having now received and installed the MMR intake, I'd like to update that you do indeed get that nice BOV sound when you let off the gas above 2k rpm's and it's not annoying like the Boomba adapter which sounds terrible and seems to be venting all the time..

I'd also like to report that the induction noise with the MMR intake is godly. I absolutely love it. It transformed the car for me.. I enjoy driving it twice as much just from hearing that air rushing in and that BOV hiss. I don't know what the intake actually does performance wise on a dyno but I will tell you that it feels a bit stronger on take off from a dig.

Before I used to get a lot of aggressive drivers in civics, altimas, maximas, chargers, hyundais trying to show off or egg me on.. since I've installed the MMR intake and you can clearly hear that beautiful induction noise and BOV, I haven't really had anyone attempt to pull on me or cut me off Lol..

I also have a MMR intake. I was driving south of London and people on the sidewalks were just staring at me as my car made it's whooshing noises. It was funny. Scared a few people as I was driving by. I love the sound and it wasn't a ton of money.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Midnight_LMR

Midnight_LMR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I like my MMR as well, looks good and sounds in the engine bay, and like [MENTION=17656]higdominator[/MENTION] said, I think pretty much all the CAI's are pretty similar as far as any performance gains so its more preference as long as you buy quality and not something made in Korea lol

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have a MMR intake. I was driving south of London and people on the sidewalks were just staring at me as my car made it's whooshing noises. It was funny. Scared a few people as I was driving by. I love the sound and it wasn't a ton of money.
Lol yeah.. people were already breaking their necks to get a glimpse of the car, now when they hear that intake and BOV they don't stop starring Lol.

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Nice! Well the MMR is $200, you guys think it's worth it? IVerne been told that I don't have to get the car re-tuned.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Well the MMR is $200, you guys think it's worth it? IVerne been told that I don't have to get the car re-tuned.
That's really something you need to decide.. if you are a car enthusiast and like turbos and the sound of BOV's then absolutely... Personally for me it's worth it for the sound alone.. add to that the fact that it looks good in the engine compartment and yeah, I'd buy it again at $200-$300.

I actually got mine on sale for $150.. I planned to go with the MAPerformance CAI but who can turn down that sale Lol.. especially when the first CAI I ever heard on these EB's was the MMR on youtube and I loved it instantly.

Only things that turned me off from the MMR and onto the MAPerformance CAI were:
1. MAPerformance was super active in the community and coming with all sorts of parts.
2. MMR had an issue with the CAI's when they first started selling them with the screws rusting or something..

But yeah.. I'm glad I went with MMR, I love this thing and will only take it off when I have to get my car serviced at the dealer in about 7,000 miles Lol.

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
agreed, all bov adaptors serve no useful purpose albeit a tiny cosmetic mod and sound (which can be done w/o these adapters).. sound like shit.. just a waste of money.. had mine for a day, immediately sold it about 8 months ago.

Sponsored

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Damn $150 for the MMR intake? Lucky u.!

So aside from better throttle response and sound no real performance gain correct? I don't believe companit's when they make 20-25 whp gains..

Yeo, took off my boomba bov and returned it back to them after 2 days. . It was really annoying and the freeway hiss made the sounded like a shit. Very disappointed in boomba and will never purchase there product ls again.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn $150 for the MMR intake? Lucky u.!

So aside from better throttle response and sound no real performance gain correct? I don't believe companit's when they make 20-25 whp gains..

Yeo, took off my boomba bov and returned it back to them after 2 days. . It was really annoying and the freeway hiss made the sounded like a shit. Very disappointed in boomba and will never purchase there product ls again.
I don't know about "better throttle response" but from a dead stop my car now chirps the tires a bit with traction control on.. it didn't used to do that before.. and my tires are still practically brand new (less than 1k miles still.. short commute, everything close by) so I don't think it's a traction issue.. to me it really feels a bit stronger from a dig.

So yeah, I'd say don't buy it expecting better performance, get it for the sound and the looks.. for that alone I'd say it's completely worth the price. If you want performance I would suggest you go with a FMIC first.. then if you're so inclined get a tune. I myself want a tune but am worried about the warranty so no tune for me.. yet. Maybe I'll feel different once the temperatures go down during winter and this thing really wakes up Lol.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I have an FFTec CAI and put the stock location TurboSmart BOV on my car and Love it. It sounds like a proper turbo car, isn't crazy loud with the recird tube connected, and the best part is really changes the way the car builds boost and makes its feel like a proper turbo car. I hate... Hate how the stock Valve vents at weird annoying times. I tried an Adapter for the stock valve and it was super annoying loud and did nothing for performance or feel of the car.

richard0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have an FFTec CAI and put the stock location TurboSmart BOV on my car and Love it. It sounds like a proper turbo car, isn't crazy loud with the recird tube connected, and the best part is really changes the way the car builds boost and makes its feel like a proper turbo car. I hate... Hate how the stock Valve vents at weird annoying times. I tried an Adapter for the stock valve and it was super annoying loud and did nothing for performance or feel of the car.
Im confused, u have a turbosmart or a stock bov? Yep, a proper turbo car doesn't go off like the BOV adapter.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Im confused, u have a turbosmart or a stock bov? Yep, a proper turbo car doesn't go off like the BOV adapter.

I have the TurboSmart BOV..

I tried an adapter on the stock valve and it was loud and annoying. Glad I bought the Adapter used for $40 and resold it for the same price.
Sponsored