Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Ecoboost Premium | Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

First off let me start by saying sorry in advance. I recently got my Mustang a few weeks ago, so I am still learning a lot and don't quite know all the "terms" yet. So it'd be great if you could explain/be simple, I'd appreciate it!

I love the turbo sound on my Ecoboost, though I feel like a lot of the times it's pretty quiet or I just don't hear it at all. I've been trying to figure out what "Triggers" the whoosh, but I've mainly only heard it when taking off from a stop.

Then I heard about these Blow Off Valves, which makes the Turbo louder? I'm still not 100% on the mechanics behind it or how they sound. I've been looking around a little bit and I found 2 different ones on American Muscle for example. One is a Turbosmart Kompact Shortie Recirculating Blow Off Valve and the other is a Dual Port Blow Off Valve. If i ended up getting a blow off valve, would these somehow effect my PP Gauges too?

So I mainly just wanted to get everyones opinion on them and how you like them if you do, how they sound/work, etc..!
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
would these somehow effect my PP Gauges too?
No.

OK, so when you left OFF boost (EG, you're accelerating under boost and take your foot off the accelerator) it blows off that pressure. The factory system takes that air and puts it back on the other side of the turbo in a closed system which is quiet.

A BOV lets that vent to atmosphere, and you can hear it.

There's a simple mod where you take off a hose then block the intake side with a rubber chair leg thing, takes like 10 mins and costs like $1 from a hardware store. The type of sound it gives you wont be exactly the same, but a good way to guage if you like BOV sounds.

On acceleration the spooling sounds can be increased by replacing the cold air intake, which is the other side of the turbo. Now, on testing the stock CAI with a drop in filter provides a little more power, but an open style will be the loudest (like the Roush) but larger closed boxed ones (like the Airaid) will provide more sound but probably give better intake temps because its not getting any air from under the hood.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
Go for it. The woosh sound is awesome. I have a CP-E kit with the HKS BOV. It's the most costly but in my opinion, the greatest sound of all the BOV available.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Go for it. The woosh sound is awesome. I have a CP-E kit with the HKS BOV. It's the most costly but in my opinion, the greatest sound of all the BOV available.
I love the sound of the hks, reminds me of zoidberg from Futurama lol

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
BOV=Car farts. No performance gain. Kind of like old school flipping the top of the air cleaner over so you could hear the secondaries open.

Sponsored

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
BOV=Car farts. No performance gain. Kind of like old school flipping the top of the air cleaner over so you could hear the secondaries open.
On the no performance gain, it's true. Depending on which car, it may even cause a little loss of performance. But for your car farts, it's all a question of taste. It's like having chrome wheels on a car. For me, please stop pimping your ride. For others, they love the classy look. Everyone make their own mods on their car with what they love. Don't spread the hate. In the end we all run a S550.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
On the no performance gain, it's true. Depending on which car, it may even cause a little loss of performance. But for your car farts, it's all a question of taste. It's like having chrome wheels on a car. For me, please stop pimping your ride. For others, they love the classy look. Everyone make their own mods on their car with what they love. Don't spread the hate. In the end we all run a S550.
"Hate"? where'd that come from?

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
There are a lot of BOV options available. They all do the same thing with a wide range of prices. What makes one better than the other?

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
There are a lot of BOV options available. They all do the same thing with a wide range of prices. What makes one better than the other?
The stock BPV recirculate the air in the engine while a BOV can sometime do recirculation, vent to atmosphere or 50/50. Some are on the cold side, some are on the stock location on the hot side. Which one is better? Who knows? It's still debated on the forums. I went for the one that I think sounds the best.
"Hate"? where'd that come from?
I might have been too ruff with hate. Yes it might be worthless to do this mod. But don't denigrate when someone wants to do things they like.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
HKS has a very unique sound, others all sound similar to each other, that is my perception. Not necessarily does that make it better but if you want the sound they offer u have to pony up for the cost.

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I read the bypass constant vents on highway like shhhhhhhhhh

That’s only reason I’m not getting s non bov

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I used to get that constant highway hiss, but it stopped as soon as I installed the GFB DV+ diverter valve. It's not expensive, and it's easy to install.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I originally had the $1 chair leg cap. I heard it more than I wanted to so I went with the Turbosmart Kompact Shortie Dual BOV. I found that to be too quiet for me. I like to hear it a little. So I combined the two. The sound is right in the middle. Perfect for me!
Sponsored