BOV

Diablocoastie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue EB (SOLD)
Just curious if anyone has their BOV vented to atmosphere and how they did it with the stock valve. Thanks for the advice. DIB EB.
Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
Since ive installed my intake I notice the bov opens quite a bit when driving to regulate the pressure. if you are cruising and give it a little throttle youll hear it open and stay that way while under certain throttle levels. youll suddenly get a loud pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And no its not the turbo spool i am hearing you can tell when the bov opens up and stays that way. So I wonder about running an aftermarket bov with it on ecu control.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
You could swap to a mechanical BOV like the one Turbosmart is coming out with. You'll need your tuner to turn off the factory control of the BPV or you'll get a CEL I believe.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
You could swap to a mechanical BOV like the one Turbosmart is coming out with. You'll need your tuner to turn off the factory control of the BPV or you'll get a CEL I believe.
:thumbsup:
thanks!

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport
Since ive installed my intake I notice the bov opens quite a bit when driving to regulate the pressure. if you are cruising and give it a little throttle youll hear it open and stay that way while under certain throttle levels. youll suddenly get a loud pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And no its not the turbo spool i am hearing you can tell when the bov opens up and stays that way. So I wonder about running an aftermarket bov with it on ecu control.

BOV's open when you let off the throttle. The pshhhhhh is the BOV. The thing opening to regulate pressure is the wastegate.

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
BOV's open when you let off the throttle. The pshhhhhh is the BOV. The thing opening to regulate pressure is the wastegate.
The issue comes up when the intake is changed. I don't think it's the wastegate people are hearing. It's either the BOV or the throttle closing to regulate boost. Any of those possibilities could be determined to be the cause if you monitor the wastegate, BOV state and throttle position when you normally hear the noise.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
Ive been working on turbo cars for 12 years I know what a bov/bpv and wastegate are, and I can tell you I am almost positive the ecu is opening the bpv to regulate pressure on this car when cruising.

With an aftermarket intake you will hear the bpv open while cruising and stay open recuriculating back into the intake.

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport
The issue comes up when the intake is changed. I don't think it's the wastegate people are hearing. It's either the BOV or the throttle closing to regulate boost. Any of those possibilities could be determined to be the cause if you monitor the wastegate, BOV state and throttle position when you normally hear the noise.
Anyone got a video?

I guess if they use an electronic BOV it could regulate boost...but it seems a bit redundant given the wastegate.

It would make sense though, the stock intake probably has a good deal of work into it to dampen the wooshy noises so people don't think their engine is blowing up lol

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport
Ive been working on turbo cars for 12 years I know what a bov/bpv and wastegate are, and I can tell you I am almost positive the ecu is opening the bpv to regulate pressure on this car when cruising.

With an aftermarket intake you will hear the bpv open while cruising and stay open recuriculating back into the intake.
Fair enough. I like to assume the worst when I talk to people (who I don't know) about turbos...hear too many people say things like "I'm runnin like 18 psi so that makes it faster than your 10 psi" when they have a 0.48 trim turbo on a 1.6.

Turbos4life:cheers:

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
I was going to record it but I didn't think too many people cared but ive tested it out while cruising. ill be around 3-1 Hg and you wont hear the intake much at all then after a few seconds youll hear what sounds like the bpv open up and start letting air back into the intake while your keeping the throttle steady....then the vacuum goes up a couple of Hg.

Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
I am not going to say am 100% positive on it but that's what it seemed like to me, and I assumed that's another reason why it throws a CEL when you mess with the stock bpv, other turbos ive changed the bpv to an aftermarket bov and left the ecu control hooked up and no CELS threw because they only opened at the throttle closing and weren't used to regulate boost.

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
I was going to record it but I didn't think too many people cared but ive tested it out while cruising. ill be around 3-1 Hg and you wont hear the intake much at all then after a few seconds youll hear what sounds like the bpv open up and start letting air back into the intake while your keeping the throttle steady....then the vacuum goes up a couple of Hg.
Yeah my car does that exact same thing when I'm at part throttle on the highway.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
It's the factory BPV making that noise. You don't hear it unless you have an aftermarket intake or you're venting to the atmosphere. Ford utilizes the BPV, along with other parts, to help regulate boost pressure. For instance, if the wastegate spring is set for 7 psi and the ecu is only requesting 5 psi, then the ecu will use the factory BPV to help in not exceeding that target. Ford uses a bunch of different methods to help regulate boost, but it's normal and it's the BPV you hear making that hissing like noise.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Just curious if anyone has their BOV vented to atmosphere and how they did it with the stock valve. Thanks for the advice. DIB EB.
You pull the tube off where it connects from the BPV to the intake tube and then cap the intake tube. I was told that those little furniture feet things from Lowe's would fit the factory intake tube port and could be used to block it off.

That's how you'd want to do it on a factory intake setup.

Biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport
It's the factory BPV making that noise. You don't hear it unless you have an aftermarket intake or you're venting to the atmosphere. Ford utilizes the BPV, along with other parts, to help regulate boost pressure. For instance, if the wastegate spring is set for 7 psi and the ecu is only requesting 5 psi, then the ecu will use the factory BPV to help in not exceeding that target. Ford uses a bunch of different methods to help regulate boost, but it's normal and it's the BPV you hear making that hissing like noise.

That's interesting. Not used to BOV's used like that but I've also never owned an OEM turbo vehicle lol

Is this how all ecoboost engines are? Or is the 2.3 (and 2.7 since they're both newer) unique?
Sponsored