Sponsored

OPG Needed on 2020 Models

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
What is the consensus about the need for OPG swap on the latest models? There have been balancer updates that was meant to address the issue, right?

I don;t like the idea of dropping the oil pan to do the OPG swap.
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
They can still fail. Bouncing off the rev limiter seems to strengthen your chances of failure. More cars running without upgraded gears than with

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I plan on swapping mine in my 19 and I thought only the timing cover to pan bolts had to be removed.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I plan on swapping mine in my 19 and I thought only the timing cover to pan bolts had to be removed.
Depends how you're doing it. If you're removing the oil pan, then yes. Most people remove the timing cover instead though, because it's easier. You just have to be careful not to drop the oil pump bolts into the oil pan, or you're definitely going to be removing the pan anyway, lol.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Your oil pickup tube, slip fits into the oil pump. There aren't any bolts like the steel oil pan pickup tubes have. You have to lower the pan, which drops the pickup tube clear of the oil pump. I did it on my 2019.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Your oil pickup tube, slip fits into the oil pump. There aren't any bolts like the steel oil pan pickup tubes have. You have to lower the pan, which drops the pickup tube clear of the oil pump. I did it on my 2019.
Oh I see, so oil pan removal is mandatory on the new engines now.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Oh I see, so oil pan removal is mandatory on the new engines now.

You just have to remove all of the bolts and let it drop down. Just need a true swivel socket and some long 12" extensions to get to some of the bolts that are blocked by the steering rack.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Well that kinda sucks, but similar to my G8 when did them and the timing chain.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Are you doing other engine mods or just wanting to change them out "just in case"? If no mods, I would not do it until the warranty is up, as they would be replaced under warranty should they fail.

What is the consensus about the need for OPG swap on the latest models? There have been balancer updates that was meant to address the issue, right?

I don;t like the idea of dropping the oil pan to do the OPG swap.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you doing other engine mods or just wanting to change them out "just in case"? If no mods, I would not do it until the warranty is up, as they would be replaced under warranty should they fail.
Whipple blower to be installed.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Whipple blower to be installed.
Its just a pain in the ass to do but it’s not expensive. And if your spending 8 grand on a supercharger. And spending a weekend bolting it on. What’s another $400 bucks and another 6 hours of your time for piece of mind? I’m always baffled to see people do expensive mods then want to cheap out on things like this or a quality fuel system. When adding boost.

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its just a pain in the ass to do but it’s not expensive. And if your spending 8 grand on a supercharger. And spending a weekend bolting it on. What’s another $400 bucks and another 6 hours of your time for piece of mind? I’m always baffled to see people do expensive mods then want to cheap out on things like this or a quality fuel system. When adding boost.
Never said a word about it being too expensive. Weird comment.

In fact, I just bought a set of gears from Beefcake (they had a killer sale) just in case.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
This, because I had a 13 and 14 that were both supercharged, but I never changed the OPG. Trust me, it was always on the back of my mind when I pushed it hard.
I'm changing them this go around and they are already sitting in my garage waiting for spring and my whipple.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Never said a word about it being too expensive. Weird comment.

In fact, I just bought a set of gears from Beefcake (they had a killer sale) just in case.
Didn’t mean you. Just in general. You’ll see a lot of threads asking about do I need OPGs. Or do I really need a return style fuel system to run e85? I picture standmode asking himself that exact same question now. And my answer is always the same. Why spend 20 grand on mods. And then ask do I really need this or that. When OPGs cost 400 bucks or try to get by on one fuel pump?
Sponsored