Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoostā„¢, Vert, MagneRideĀ® PP
Vehicle Showcase
There seem to be couple of underlying themes within this string of posts: Getting old is inconsistent with fast-Mustang ownership; it's easy to disabuse members of the cohort of this misconception, but it requires a little persuasion.

Responses to the first assertion are actually answering a question that doesn't require asking; OK, so it doesn't take much to convince other "seniors" that the age of a driver isn't as significant as that driver's inner experience of driving a car that is faster and quicker than anyone really needs.

For my partā€”as a soon-to-be eighty-four-year-oldā€”I realize I'm on the downslope of that bell-shaped curve of capabilities, and most days I see more evidence of its influence on every aspect of my daily life. That doesn't keep me from enjoying a car with three times the horsepower of those I drove as fast as we could go, in various kinds of competitions. Even though it's a lot less likely I'll consistently approach those limits now, some of the same elemental experiences are achievable every time I get behind the wheel... I was working up to a point here, but lost track of it. (See what I mean?)

I have repeated, "There is no good reason to not practice precision driving every time you are in the driver seat". What "Precision Driving" means can vary according to vehicle, terrain, and driver characteristics, of course, but it is marvelously invigorating to know you've done it just right.

And that's why I still do a Mustang with Performance Package.

GrayOutfitCarCrop-DSCN7349b.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

GeigerZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
There seem to be couple of underlying themes within this string of posts: Getting old is inconsistent with fast-Mustang ownership; it's easy to disabuse members of the cohort of this misconception, but it requires a little persuasion.

Responses to the first assertion are actually answering a question that doesn't require asking; OK, so it doesn't take much to convince other "seniors" that the age of a driver isn't as significant as that driver's inner experience of driving a car that is faster and quicker than anyone really needs.

For my partā€”as a soon-to-be eighty-four-year-oldā€”I realize I'm on the downslope of that bell-shaped curve of capabilities, and most days I see more evidence of its influence on every aspect of my daily life. That doesn't keep me from enjoying a car with three times the horsepower of those I drove as fast as we could go, in various kinds of competitions. Even though it's a lot less likely I'll consistently approach those limits now, some of the same elemental experiences are achievable every time I get behind the wheel... I was working up to a point here, but lost track of it. (See what I mean?)

I have repeated, "There is no good reason to not practice precision driving every time you are in the driver seat". What "Precision Driving" means can vary according to vehicle, terrain, and driver characteristics, of course, but it is marvelously invigorating to know you've done it just right.

And that's why I still do a Mustang with Performance Package.
Well said! I've always tried to teach my students situational awareness has zero room for complacency. Lose sight, lose the fight (ACM). Once you become a passenger behind the wheel, time to give up the controls.

drudis

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dariusrudis.net
First Name
Darius
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium - SpongeBob Yellow
Last edited:

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt prem pp whipple stage 2. 2017 silverado LTZ with rocky ridge package. 09 HD muscle.
I am in the club. Just turned 54. I used to drag race for decades until 2011. Last car was a tube chassis 69 Camaro with a 598 and 2 stages on nitrous. Went a best of 7.53@ 185. Living in CT with the closest track being Englishtown now closed I have this just to have something take out and rip it up once in a while. Love the car but these things are no fun to work on. I miss how easy and simple working on the old school stuff.

Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
70 here and I drive it hard every chance I get! I didnā€™t buy it just because it looks good, which it does. I bought it to bring back memories of previous rides I had so much fun with. My first was a 64 GTO w/tri power followed by a 67 Stingray. i Also went in the Army in 67 and couldnā€™t afford to keep the Vette. Didnā€™t come out of the service for another 34 yrs so Iā€™m still catching up.
Thank you for your service!

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Since we are "seasoned" performance car owners, I have an observation to share and to get your thoughts on. I was in High School in the late 60's. My first car was a '66 Mustang 289 2V. Back in those days the guy with the most horse power had the biggest dick. I rebuilt my 289 into about 300 HP. Won and lost my share of street races. Any of us would have given almost anything to be able to put 350 HP in our cars in the 60's-70's.

I recently rebuilt the 302 engine in my '68 Mustang. I told my builder I wanted about 350 HP from it. More is better right? (Well, in this case maybe it is. With that 3.89 rear end and about 70-80 more HP I have been enjoying the heck out of it. It's a different car.) But recall the '65 GT350R Mustangs had "only" 360 HP.

Skip ahead to today. I purchased, from the dealer, an all aluminum, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder racing motor with 435 HP in a 2017 Mustang GT. And I ordered it with PP. This is one awesome car. It is one of the BEST Mustangs ever offered. I was talking to the Service Manger shortly after I picked the car up. He said to me, "Oh, you're the guy that bought that red race car." And it is. I love this Mustang. It's just right. It handles incredibly well and has the right amount of HP and torque. Those Brembo brakes will stop on a dime and give you 25 cents change. It has heated & cooled seats and it syncs with my Android.

I have realized that having an all round nice handling car is what I am looking for. It has to have enough HP to make me smile and who cares about size of my dick. Maybe that is an age thing in couple of ways.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes... I started out drag racing 30 years ago in and around the cradle of muscle car civilization. Still drag or roll race anytime someone wants to go. Just smarter and more careful about the whens and wheres then I have been in the past.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Hi - I'll be 79 on Jan 7th. You have a ways to go before you are really an old fart. I'm a retired pharmacist thus the "Old Phart" moniker. Old pharmacists never die, they just become Old Pharts. No, I don't drive like I did in the younger days during the muscle car era. The irony is that my Bullitt is so much safer to drive at any speed compared to those cars, yet I drive much more conservatively now. I inherently know that my reflexes aren't what they used to be. Yes, I enjoy rowing through the gears occasionally and find the exhaust note mesmerizing - reminds me of the old glass packs. It's also nice to know I have those ponies under the hood if I need them, particularly when passing cars on a 2 lane road*. People ask what I'm doing with an almost 500 hp car and I guess mainly because once cars like this get in your blood, it never goes away. To all you guys who think you're old but aren't, don't be in a hurry to actually get old. I just had my left knee replaced so hopefully depressing the clutch shouldn't be painful this coming spring when I put my toy cars on the road again. The GTO clutch is a killer. I'm way down on the descending slope of the Bell Curve of life and what's left ain't necessarily a pretty picture. But until then, I'll keep on having fun until they hide the car keys on me... Bruce

P.S. *Do any of you remember that cult movie " Two Lane Blacktop" or something like that.
Bruce , I know exactly what you are talking about in your GTO. You may want to change out the clutch on the GTO, Center Force makes a great diaphragm series with easy clutch pedal play. I still do most of my own work on my GT, but it is harder getting up and down.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Bruce , I know exactly what you are talking about in your GTO. You may want to change out the clutch on the GTO, Center Force makes a great diaphragm series with easy clutch pedal play. I still do most of my own work on my GT, but it is harder getting up and down.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully the knee replacement solves my problem come spring. It might be time for me to give up the GTO anyway as part of my simplifying life plan. One of the reasons I bought the Bullitt was that climbing in and out of my C4 Vette was becoming a chore. It was in mint condition with only 60,000 miles on it, but I'm glad I made the change. It's much easier entering and exiting a Mustang and I'm really enjoying it. Buying the Bullitt is also part of my plan to have my very last check bounce. The varying infirmities that accompany the advancing years is just part of life and we have to make some adjustments. Take care, have fun and stay healthy... Bruce

Sponsored

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
Hey guys Like the title says I'm an old guy [57] But I still drive it like I stole it! Not all the time of coarse but a lot. I bought this car to have fun and it sure as hell is! How many older guys on here drive their cars hard sometimes?
Okay, I've just joined up with you guys but I have been driving a pony for several years now. I'm 72 and I used to have a 2016 GT that I would take to the road tracks near me. Now I have a 2019 and I'm still doing the mods on it and don't have the toe-hook the tracks want you to have, so I haven't taken it to the track yet. Pretty soon though.

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
Just updated my account and put the 16 picture on for my avatar. Haven't even taken a picture of the 19 yet. I liked the red on the 16, the 19 is Need For Green and some people really like it but I'm just okay with it. Bought it because it had the performance packages I wanted... not because of the color.

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys Like the title says I'm an old guy [57] But I still drive it like I stole it! Not all the time of coarse but a lot. I bought this car to have fun and it sure as hell is! How many older guys on here drive their cars hard sometimes?
Just updated my account and put the 16 picture on for my avatar. Haven't even taken a picture of the 19 yet. I liked the red on the 16, the 19 is Need For Green and some people really like it but I'm just okay with it. Bought it because it had the performance packages I wanted... not because of the color.

sobaylouie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I am 79 and enjoy the hell out of my 18 GT A10 Stang

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully the knee replacement solves my problem come spring. It might be time for me to give up the GTO anyway as part of my simplifying life plan. One of the reasons I bought the Bullitt was that climbing in and out of my C4 Vette was becoming a chore. It was in mint condition with only 60,000 miles on it, but I'm glad I made the change. It's much easier entering and exiting a Mustang and I'm really enjoying it. Buying the Bullitt is also part of my plan to have my very last check bounce. The varying infirmities that accompany the advancing years is just part of life and we have to make some adjustments. Take care, have fun and stay healthy... Bruce
When I had my 67 GTO I had the 3 speed auto and beat a lot of stick shift cars because my hole shots were so consistent. Would usually put me 1 to 2 car lengths out of the hole. Something to consider because the GTO is such a cool car auto or stick I'd hate to see you give that up.
Sponsored