Sponsored

Oil Weight

blakedanatural

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 Premium
Hello All,
Since we are all home sheltering I ve ben looking at threads that don't concern my 2015 gt premium. I m looking at the 2020Gt 500 forum and see they use the motorcraft 5w 50 fully synthetic oil. Why does the regular gt use 5w 20 synthetic blend? My car has 74500 miles on it and I only used the motorcraft 5w 20 blend. has anybody gone full synthetic when changing their oil?

Blake
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
2020Gt 500 forum and see they use the motorcraft 5w 50 fully synthetic oil. Why does the regular gt use 5w 20 synthetic blend?
Cause the regular GT doesn't have a supercharger hanging off it's crank. If that's what your asking. As far as FORD recommending synthetic blend, same reason for 87 octane. It's cheaper. And the American consumer LOVES cheap. Hence Walmart.

Armageddon Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo 2014 Mustang GT
Cause the regular GT doesn't have a supercharger hanging off it's crank. If that's what your asking. As far as FORD recommending synthetic blend, same reason for 87 octane. It's cheaper. And the American consumer LOVES cheap. Hence Walmart.

Exactly!

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the manual state you can use 5w50 in the regular coyote if being used on track or harsh environments?

InvertedRain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Vehicle(s)
n/a
In my humble opinion synthetic blends are a bit of a fad bordering a joke. If you read the fine print there's no law judging conventional to synthetic ratios of the oil. Further still the synthetic can be cheaply made. And same goes for the conventional oil in said ratio. I'm no chemist of engine oils but I did take chemistry in college extensively and I can safely say you get what you pay for. The biggest thing I've noted from personal experience is that filter and oil change interval are everything. If you're truly worried there are companies that test oil quality.

I like these guys: https://www.blackstone-labs.com

To give an example, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic oil is seriously integrated with cleaning agents (i.e. lasts less and is more track oriented) while Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic oil focuses more on lubrication over cleaning agents (i.e. lasts longer and good on commutes). But either way, visually, good engine oil lets you know on a steady pace where the saturation of contaminates are at by just looking at it. Conventional change color drastically and quickly (once a bad dark black looking color - it's often too late). The pricey synthetic takes abuse and asks for more afterward. Of course nothing can substitute proper oil interval changes but I stand by saying that a good engine oil and a good filter (where most skip out) makes a world of difference when you're at full throttle on the last bend. Tons of YouTube videos covering oil filters where the host cuts them in half. Some by-pass valves on certain oil filters are made of cheap plastic should the filter clog. From reviews I've seen Royal Purple, Mobile1 and K&N (laboratory company that makes the filter media is the same for both Mobile1 and K&N) were some of the most impressive.

Edit: words

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I typically switch my cars to full synthetic with first oil change, if it didn't originally come with it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Synthetic vs conventional: There is absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading to synthetic. The only downside is price. I believe synthetic is even listed in the manual along with the ford synthetic spec.

Weight: The 2011-2014 track pack called for 5w50, as did the boss, gt350, and all gt500s. The 2018+ 5.0 owners manual calls for 5w30 for “track use”. Both roush and Whipple call for use of 5w50 in the 2018+ when their supercharger kits are added. All other “plain Jane normal use” 5.0s call for 5w20. The move toward thinner oils is driven by fuel economy goals and many of us believe that a thicker oil gives better protection and less wear. For that reason, I run 5w40 in my 2018.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
many of us believe that a thicker oil gives better protection and less wear. For that reason, I run 5w40 in my 2018.
But thinner oils dissipates heat much quicker.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I run 5w-30 PUP w/ 3-4k service intervals mainly because I run full time E85. Oil w/ 10 quart capacity is still very clean after 4k miles. Could probably go 5-6k no problem.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do yourself a favor and make the switch to full synthetic.

5w20 is fine unless you’re going to track the car.

As mentioned Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum are both great oils as is Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
We typically switch them over to a higher end full synthetic such as Royal Purple or Brad Penn. We also usually step them up to 5w30 depending on the specific build for better protection since many of our clients are going to run their cars hard and hit the track. I've had the pleasure of attending some presentations from the guys at Brad Penn and one piece of advice I always thought worth sharing is that consistency is key when it comes to changing oil. They had explained how each oil manufacturer has their own patented chemical / detergent packs and that your engine gets used to their specific recipes. So sticking with the same type / brand of oil is much better for the engine long term and to avoid switching to what ever is on sale at that time. Otherwise your engines can begin consuming or leaking oil from frequently switching the type, brand, or weight of oil you normally use.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ford made the move to 5W20 around 1999 in order to bump its over all fleet MPG average for upcoming Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) ratings around that time. I know for the 4.6/5.4 Mod Motors, Ford Racing still suggested using 5W30. Synthetic Blend is just the cheaper oil they suggest for servicing at dealers, I always had them use full synthetic in my car when the dealer was doing the changes.

I have 5W30 in all my Fords, just put the Mustang on Amsoil last week which is the same stuff I'm running in the 04 Marauder.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hello All,
Since we are all home sheltering I ve ben looking at threads that don't concern my 2015 gt premium. I m looking at the 2020Gt 500 forum and see they use the motorcraft 5w 50 fully synthetic oil. Why does the regular gt use 5w 20 synthetic blend? My car has 74500 miles on it and I only used the motorcraft 5w 20 blend. has anybody gone full synthetic when changing their oil?

Blake
I run 5w-30, perfect weight in my opinion. I've done a lot of research. I only use full synthetic and change it every 3-5k miles. Engine and crank stay CLEAN!

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
We typically switch them over to a higher end full synthetic such as Royal Purple or Brad Penn. We also usually step them up to 5w30 depending on the specific build for better protection since many of our clients are going to run their cars hard and hit the track. I've had the pleasure of attending some presentations from the guys at Brad Penn and one piece of advice I always thought worth sharing is that consistency is key when it comes to changing oil. They had explained how each oil manufacturer has their own patented chemical / detergent packs and that your engine gets used to their specific recipes. So sticking with the same type / brand of oil is much better for the engine long term and to avoid switching to what ever is on sale at that time. Otherwise your engines can begin consuming or leaking oil from frequently switching the type, brand, or weight of oil you normally use.
Not to hijack the thread, but is 5w30 a thick enough weight for a boosted coyote? I know ford specifies 5w50 with the GT500's and other non boosted cars like the Boss 302, GT350's etc. but that's assuming heavy track use (road course, not drag strip). My car is 99% a street car and have been using royal purple HPS 5w30 since I installed my procharger on the stock motor, but now that I have a built motor I was just wondering if that oil weight is still ok or if I should step up to a 40 or 50 weight oil.

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
i switched my 2019 to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 at the first oil change and only use K & N oil filters. Change my oil every 2-3000 miles like clockwork!
Sponsored