Sponsored

Oil Weight

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I've had the pleasure of attending some presentations from the guys at Brad Penn and one piece of advice I always thought worth sharing is that consistency is key when it comes to changing oil. They had explained how each oil manufacturer has their own patented chemical / detergent packs and that your engine gets used to their specific recipes. So sticking with the same type / brand of oil is much better for the engine long term and to avoid switching to what ever is on sale at that time. Otherwise your engines can begin consuming or leaking oil from frequently switching the type, brand, or weight of oil you normally use.
That right there is great advice !
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Not to hijack the thread, but is 5w30 a thick enough weight for a boosted coyote? I know ford specifies 5w50 with the GT500's and other non boosted cars like the Boss 302, GT350's etc. but that's assuming heavy track use (road course, not drag strip). My car is 99% a street car and have been using royal purple HPS 5w30 since I installed my procharger on the stock motor, but now that I have a built motor I was just wondering if that oil weight is still ok or if I should step up to a 40 or 50 weight oil.
Running the procharger on a stock engine 5w30 would be fine. Having a built engine now we would switch it over to 5w50.

That right there is great advice !
Thank you very much for the kind words!

Yeah they've said it can basically confuse seals, rings etc. switching oils frequently due to the different combinations of additives / chemicals which makes sense when you really think about it. Similar to how people say do not switch to full synthetic on higher mileage engines if they weren't already using it since that can also cause consumption and / or leaks.

S550Will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Running the procharger on a stock engine 5w30 would be fine. Having a built engine now we would switch it over to 5w50.

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Yeah they've said it can basically confuse seals, rings etc. switching oils frequently due to the different combinations of additives / chemicals which makes sense when you really think about it. Similar to how people say do not switch to full synthetic on higher mileage engines if they weren't already using it since that can also cause consumption and / or leaks.
What would you recommend for my setup. I've been searching as my oil change is approaching what people are doing in their cars. Currently I have a procharger 8lbs of boost on a stock motor, off road x pipe and cat back. I've read good thing about AMSOIL AZF 0W-40 when adding a super charger. My car is a fair weather street driven car. May see the drag strip 2-3 times a year.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
What would you recommend for my setup. I've been searching as my oil change is approaching what people are doing in their cars. Currently I have a procharger 8lbs of boost on a stock motor, off road x pipe and cat back. I've read good thing about AMSOIL AZF 0W-40 when adding a super charger. My car is a fair weather street driven car. May see the drag strip 2-3 times a year.
For this application we would do 5w50 of redline oil and change it i would say every 3000-3500 miles

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah they've said it can basically confuse seals, rings etc
Are they transgender? I highly doubt that seals / rings care what brand oil is being used as long as the viscosity is the same, and more frequent oil changes if using non synthetic.
Sponsored