Sponsored

Oil Recommendations for 19 PP2

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
Guys,

So I am right at 1k miles (took me two months though with all the current shutdowns and all..) finally, and that means first oil change time.

What do you guys use in the PP2? I remember my Boss 302 Laguna Seca used 5-50, while pretty much all my other mustangs were running 5-30.

Also what differential oil is everyone using to keep temps down? (track season will start soon, yeay!)
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Oil viscosity isn't a one size fits all, it depends on your oil temps. If you're just daily driving and don't see above 215° F oil temp then 5w20/30 is perfectly fine. I'd only run 5w50 if I had 300° F oil temps, at which point that 5w50 is nearly as thin as the former two viscosity specs around 200°

The new SP GF-6 formulations will be hitting the shelves soon, too, so that's something to look for. I'm not sure if there's enough difference to warrant waiting though.

OP
OP

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Understood, so 99 percent of my driving will be daily commuting/running errands. However, I do plan to run a few track days this summer.. Do you think it would be best to use a 20/30 weight around town and then switch to a 50 before my track day, and switch bak right after?

What are the new SP GF-6 formulations about?

OP
OP

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah so the manual basically says to use 5w-20 for daily and switch to 5w-30 for track use..

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Diff fluid isn't going to keep it cool on the track, plenty of problems with the diff overheating in just a couple of laps. this isn't a track car inspite of the PP designation and/or SC2's they put on it. It's a street car...you'll find it's temperature limit's very quickly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been reading through the forums here and essentially - a higher viscosity differential fluid plus exhaust heat shields will go a long way. Before adding a differential cooler of my own (which I will do at some point later) I need a temporary improvement in behavior in preparation for my first (in this car, second ever) track day, which the aforementioned will give me.

A definition of a track car is so wide that I would not be so quick to announce what is and is not a track car. That being said, the PP2 is a package for the track and you can look up lap times up there with the best of them from C&D's lightning lap test.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
I've been reading through the forums here and essentially - a higher viscosity differential fluid plus exhaust heat shields will go a long way. Before adding a differential cooler of my own (which I will do at some point later) I need a temporary improvement in behavior in preparation for my first (in this car, second ever) track day, which the aforementioned will give me.

A definition of a track car is so wide that I would not be so quick to announce what is and is not a track car. That being said, the PP2 is a package for the track and you can look up lap times up there with the best of them from C&D's lightning lap test.
Careful, your going to get a bunch of opinions you didn't ask for or want on track worthiness. Lol.

I've been running redline 5/20 and 5/30 strictly on the street, but completely happy with it. Noticed a very slight increase in indicated oil pressure over the semi synthetic.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Guys,

So I am right at 1k miles (took me two months though with all the current shutdowns and all..) finally, and that means first oil change time.

What do you guys use in the PP2? I remember my Boss 302 Laguna Seca used 5-50, while pretty much all my other mustangs were running 5-30.

Also what differential oil is everyone using to keep temps down? (track season will start soon, yeay!)
No change on the rear diff, but I use PennUltPlat 5w30 since the factory fill (which I kept for the full life of the oil) And I'd keep the factory fill in until the OLM says to change it

Kmp013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 1990 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4X4 1971 Chevrolet C20
I have 16,000 miles on my 2019 PP2 and my first track day I got the overheat on the rear axle. I changed over to the BG Ultra-Gaurd gear oil and have done 2 more track days and have not had an overheat of the rear axle. I have not done anything else to "cooling" of the car. I have put in adjustable upper control arms on the rear and have the camber set a -2 degrees.

As far as motor oil goes, I am using the Ford Motorcraft 5W50 because I have a whipple on my car. But I have just followed the OLM on the car and changed the oil when the car tells me.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Daily 99%
1% tracking.
I would use 5w30
I ran since day 2 of my more track dedicated car ow40 mobil1. Good compromise price/ quality.
This morning i put on AMSOIL 5W50. Higher viscosity and higher protection at higher temp.
But for daily is too thick IMO. also depends where you are. In cali temps are 100f while somewhere else temps are cooler.
Most important thing is I use MOTORKOTE ,friction reducer. with oil(way superior than liquimoly. Take a look on youtube PROJECTFARM videos. Cool guy testing everything. )
Differential
Well I'll share my trick before going with different oil
First add MOTORKOTE.
1oz

Second
Between session bring a leafblower. Poor some water in the front of it and spray. And blow the diff. This will drop temps a lot in time for the next session :)

Have fun!
Alex
20200525_193719029_iOS.jpg
20200603_171321_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The GT got 10w30 (full syn Penzoil) put into it today. It's summer, 5w nonsense is for cold weather.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hey
I think 10w is too thick.
Add some friction reducer..at least :)

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have been running 10W-30 since day one. Approaching 11K miles and my 5.0 is quiet as a mouse all the time, with no oil additives.

5W is to improve CAFE ratings and for cold climates, it makes sense. Not cold where I am.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So where's all the proof that viscosities higher than 5w20 is better (other the 5w50 which is ONLY recommended for supercharged applications)? Good quality 5w20 is all you need. As for differential temps, header wrap on the axlebacks works wonders on reducing diff temps.