Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
They will not fail unless you are hammering the limiter, on a trans break or dumping on a good clutch very very high in the rpms. But just hard Accelerating you’re fine
Sponsored

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
From my <personal> experience, I would shy away from doing OPG's. I'm not sure if it was truly the culprit for blowing my stock motor (that's what the shop told me), but that's what they said.
I had my Hellion Sleeper installed in July last year (along with OPG's) and 300 miles later the motor took a dump. (Snapped a primary timing chain)

Maybe the manufacturer had a bad run I don't know, but if I could do it again I would have spent the money on a good shift light indicator setup.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
From my <personal> experience, I would shy away from doing OPG's. I'm not sure if it was truly the culprit for blowing my stock motor (that's what the shop told me), but that's what they said.
I had my Hellion Sleeper installed in July last year (along with OPG's) and 300 miles later the motor took a dump. (Snapped a primary timing chain)

Maybe the manufacturer had a bad run I don't know, but if I could do it again I would have spent the money on a good shift light indicator setup.

I highly doubt that changing the oil pump gears had anything to do with a chain snapping.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

This is why I recommend timing chains, gt350 primary’s and aftermarket secondary’s when installing OPG’s

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Slowpoke, Wazslow, if it wasn't the OPG's that caused the chain to snap, what are your thoughts about what the most likely culprit was?

I honestly would like to hear yours or anyone else's opinion, not meaning to hijack Superman's thread though.

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Slowpoke, Wazslow, if it wasn't the OPG's that caused the chain to snap, what are your thoughts about what the most likely culprit was?

I honestly would like to hear yours or anyone else's opinion, not meaning to hijack Superman's thread though.
The oil pump gears themselves don't interface with the timing chains. The only way I can see the oil pump gears causing the chains to snap is if the motor lost oil pressure and then the chain tensioners stopped working. My guess would be some kind of installation error when the timing components were put together.

The timing chains run off the timing gear off the front of the crank after the oil pump is already installed, so the oil pump gears really don't impact the chains.

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
The oil pump gears themselves don't interface with the timing chains. The only way I can see the oil pump gears causing the chains to snap is if the motor lost oil pressure and then the chain tensioners stopped working. My guess would be some kind of installation error when the timing components were put together.

The timing chains run off the timing gear off the front of the crank after the oil pump is already installed, so the oil pump gears really don't impact the chains.
Thanks Waz, your guess is more believable than what I was told. Whatever caused it, it sure ain't cheap, new motor was north of 10K and hopefully will be installed in the next month or so.

Hey, I also noticed your Hellion set up doesn't have the "Oil Catch Box" (or whatever they call it) hanging down underneath.

That's one thing I discovered that made me nervous about the kit (after the install); they say it has plenty of clearance, but still makes me nervous about the possibility of road debris crashing into it there - that would take the car out of commission for a while, did you get a newer version of the kit or something?

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks Waz, your guess is more believable than what I was told. Whatever caused it, it sure ain't cheap, new motor was north of 10K and hopefully will be installed in the next month or so.

Hey, I also noticed your Hellion set up doesn't have the "Oil Catch Box" (or whatever they call it) hanging down underneath.

That's one thing I discovered that made me nervous about the kit (after the install); they say it has plenty of clearance, but still makes me nervous about the possibility of road debris crashing into it there - that would take the car out of commission for a while, did you get a newer version of the kit or something?
My hellion kit does have the catch tank between the turbos. My avatar picture is before I installed the turbo drain setup. I do believe the newer kits have done away with the tank though. I haven't had any problems, but my car is also not lowered.

See picture attached (also mid installation).

20200605_172530.jpg

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Hey Thanks Buddy - my car isn't lowered but it is a Bullitt but I don't think they're sitting any lower than a GT, at least the 2019 verison isn't (I believe). Had a 2009 which was definitely lower than GT's of that time period.

Hmmm, I wonder if it's an option to upgrade the kit. Guess I'll have to call Hellion.

It's either that or maybe some sort of custom shielding / brace for my piece of mind.

Boosted21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT
If you know how to drive and don't continually bounce of the rev limiter or do a money shift you will be fine. That said, you will be most of the way there and it isn't that hard to do.

I would go with either Ford Performance or Boundary.
Couple things. When changing OPG do you need to do a full oil change on a Gen 3? Also I bought MMR OPG would you not recommend them? I feel like you can’t go wrong with any brand of OPG it’s all stronger than stock by far

Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
For piece of mind you may want to take a feeler gauge and check the clearance of the MMR gears. Some have reported various aftermarket ones being too loose a fit (toward ten thousandths and greater) I have a set of MMR for an eventual build here and they seem good tome, in the 5 thousandths range. There's a long thread on here regarding this subject.

Boosted21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT
For piece of mind you may want to take a feeler gauge and check the clearance of the MMR gears. Some have reported various aftermarket ones being too loose a fit (toward ten thousandths and greater) I have a set of MMR for an eventual build here and they seem good tome, in the 5 thousandths range. There's a long thread on here regarding this subject.
Hmm yeah HPR on YouTube did a video on boundary OPG and he put them on his Gen 2 and there was too much play between the gears and the oil pump housing and there was a ton of abnormal wear after just a few minutes of idling. He had to get a new oil pump housing but his car had 40k plus miles mine only had 7200 miles and it’s a 2021 Gen 3 I shouldn’t have any issues

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had Boundary OPG's ready to go on my car. My tuner said not to use them, they are inferior. He recommended Triangle Speed Shop.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I always recommend doing Oil Pump Gears any time you start to really step on the car. its cheap insurance vs replacing a motor if they fail. The stock unit is not the best once you get into high RPM boosted set ups, so I strongly believe the upgrade is warranted. Some people have gotten away with it but I have seen them fail before And that's enough for me to say they are worth it.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.co...orsports-ford-5-0l-oil-pump-with-billet-gears

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Mine failed and caused me to have to replace an engine. I was planning on it anyways but still.

Might as well do them and the timing chains while working on the car. Easy peace of mind.

Before anyone hops in from another thread, yes I was on a transbrake and I am sure that did not help. But at the end of the day the item that failed in my twin turboed gen 3 setup was the OPGs
Sponsored