Sponsored

Oil pump gear disaster

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Decided to install some MMR Oil Pump Gears this weekend and now my car makes a horrible tapping noise when I crank it. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side, possibly the timing chain tensioner. Looks like I get to pull it back apart and try again. Any tips on what to look for specifically or coming mistakes?
Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Maybe the timing chain on the driver's side isn't timed correctly? Hopefully, your pistons are not beating your valves up on the driver's side.

I wish you the best getting it corrected.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
I used that same guide for everything except the timing. I used the timing procedure from the ford service manual. I did mark the chains and didn't have any issues getting them back on in the same exact spot or so I thought. Assuming it's timed correctly, could I have broken one of the tensioners somehow? I'm kinda just reaching here

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you actually started the car yet?

If you marked and reinstalled the chains correctly, maybe the drivers side chain guide isn't holding tight against the chain...and your hearing the drivers side timing chain slap against the chain guide?

Sounds like you might suspect this?

Sponsored

OXFORDS550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 oxford GT white premium black accent
You don't need to mark the chains. The best thing to do is take it all apart and start over and follow the service manual do exactly what it says. The chains are already color coded etc if you follow the service manual you'll have no issues.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer

OXFORDS550GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 oxford GT white premium black accent

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Did you release the tensioners?

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think an important step for us amateur guys that's not listed in the Ford guides posted here is once you have all the timing stuff back in is to do a handful of revolutions by hand before you put the cover back on to make sure nothing is hitting or sounds off. Could save a lot of headache and potential money.

Sponsored

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think an important step for us amateur guys that's not listed in the Ford guides posted here is once you have all the timing stuff back in is to do a handful of revolutions by hand before you put the cover back on to make sure nothing is hitting or sounds off. Could save a lot of headache and potential money.
Best advice.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Mine was actually out of time and I had no noise at all. Only a misfire when I used the 11-14 directions.

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
True, but if someone has made a different mistake than what you did, they could possibly get it far enough off to cause damage-which would probably be harmlessly detectable by turning it slowly by hand.

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
So I ripped it all apart and cranked it a couple times with the timing cover off and the tapping noise is definitely the timing chain tensioner on the driver side. I decided I didn't wanna mess around and picked up some Boss tensioners from MMR since they're local. The problem is, I did not get new bolts with the new tensioners which are much beefier. The old bolts are much too short, and I was hoping someone might be able to provide me a part number or spec for the bolts that are supposed to come with the tensioners?

Also, I retimed the engine using the procedure used here, thank you for posting! After timing it again, we decided to crank it a couple times and it does not appear to have changed at all. I took a video for you guys to check out and hopefully provide some insight. I'm thinking the tensioner went to shit. Thoughts?

[ame]

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I can't 100% tell by watching but is your tensioner even extended? It doesn't look like it is. Did whatever you use to hold the tensioner in break in there without you knowing?

If it is extended and pushing back in something happened for sure.

Regarding bolts for the Boss tensioners I can't find anything via googling around. Anything I find is stock replacement or says they are supposed to come with the Boss tensioners.
Sponsored