Oil overheating at track

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I use this one because I can just use pipe clamps to mount it to my roll bar right behind my seat. It doesnt last very long (30-40 mins) at a time, but the form factor is great. Huge fan of it. I then hook it up to a standard Coolshirt t-shirt.

If this thing can keep my cool in 100* Texas heat in a race car with no interior, it gets the thumbs up from me :)

https://ultrachiller.com/collections/cool-suit-systems/products/400-series-cool-suit-system
Duuude...I didn’t know such things existed for the general consumer. I’m gonna have to link into these!
Sponsored

sk8ermoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350 / 2004 LSB M3
It was streets of willow. I noticed the temps dropping when I shifted at lower rpms. I went about 2 laps shifting earlier. This dropped the temps back down to about 260.
I remember my first and last time there in September, probably 10 years ago. I told myself this is the last time i'm going to this track in the summer and will wait until October to begin tracking again. Props to you for tracking there in August! I will not track in >100 F heat!

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I remember my first and last time there in September, probably 10 years ago. I told myself this is the last time i'm going to this track in the summer and will wait until October to begin tracking again. Props to you for tracking there in August! I will not track in >100 F heat!
I went there only once.
Basically stock. With the oil cooler on my gt18.
Did 2 session. 3 laps each. 1.23.0 at lap 2 (so my forst ever hot lap there) at 9am. Temps were 92f
Then session 2 at 11am with 102f. Car boiled at lap 3 LOL and I packed and went back home.
Not worth it the risk.

Slidingsidewayz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
My last track day at Buttonwillow speedway a few weeks ago was also above 100 degrees and my oil temps were about 275 degrees. I wonder why yours reached 300 degrees though

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
My last track day at Buttonwillow speedway a few weeks ago was also above 100 degrees and my oil temps were about 275 degrees. I wonder why yours reached 300 degrees though
All depends the speed and how hard you were pushing :) also type of track. Streets has diffferent use of gears.
May I ask you the lapt time?

Sponsored

sk8ermoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350 / 2004 LSB M3
Streets doesn't have that long of straights so there's not a lot of cooldown area with high aero. With a heavy car like the Mustang that relies on massive tire for grip, consumables and engine temps can get up there if it's raging hot like it has been. I've only been there with my M3, but with the GT350 gearing, i'm guessing you're spending a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd at high rpm.

Slidingsidewayz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
All depends the speed and how hard you were pushing :) also type of track. Streets has diffferent use of gears.
May I ask you the lapt time?
That’s true about streets of willow. My gt350 didn’t perform the best on that track compared to some of the hondas that we’re out there.
I’m not a fast driver by any means, but my best time was a 2:17.89 at Buttonwillow. It was my first time there and I had a lot mechanical sympathy due how hot it was.

Slidingsidewayz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
Streets doesn't have that long of straights so there's not a lot of cooldown area with high aero. With a heavy car like the Mustang that relies on massive tire for grip, consumables and engine temps can get up there if it's raging hot like it has been. I've only been there with my M3, but with the GT350 gearing, i'm guessing you're spending a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd at high rpm.
Yessir! I was in 2nd and 3rd majority of the time.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
This. I was mostly in 2 & 3 pretty close to redline at most times for both gears. I’m pretty new at tracking. My times are pretty slow (average around 1:35)

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
That’s true about streets of willow. My gt350 didn’t perform the best on that track compared to some of the hondas that we’re out there.
I’m not a fast driver by any means, but my best time was a 2:17.89 at Buttonwillow. It was my first time there and I had a lot mechanical sympathy due how hot it was.
Got it. Probably is that. Pace is still little slow because your first time there. :)
OP what oil are you running?
Also what CHT you had?

Sponsored
OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Got it. Probably is that. Pace is still little slow because your first time there. :)
OP what oil are you running?
Also what CHT you had?
I’m running oem 5-50 motor craft. I don’t remember the CHT or intake numbers. I just remember my transmission and axle temps staying relatively cool.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I just completed a track weekend with BMW Club at High Plains Raceway. I ran several 30-minute sessions doing lead-follow instructing at lower RPMs as well as hot laps in the morning. The lead-follow temps were 270 at 98 degrees max air temp at 5000 feet elevation. The max oil temp during hot lapping was 297, at which point I backed off.
As I was maneuvering the car in the paddock to refill the fuel tank after the last session on the last day, the power steering went out. Soon after, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with messages detailing all of the electronic systems shutting down, which appeared to be the result of the alternator failing. So it's sitting at the stealership in the snow (!!!) awaiting repair yet again.
At this juncture I'm considering either evaluating aftermarket cooling options, or going to a different platform entirely. how well-developed/tested is the aftermarket in terms of cooling?

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I just completed a track weekend with BMW Club at High Plains Raceway. I ran several 30-minute sessions doing lead-follow instructing at lower RPMs as well as hot laps in the morning. The lead-follow temps were 270 at 98 degrees max air temp at 5000 feet elevation. The max oil temp during hot lapping was 297, at which point I backed off.
As I was maneuvering the car in the paddock to refill the fuel tank after the last session on the last day, the power steering went out. Soon after, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with messages detailing all of the electronic systems shutting down, which appeared to be the result of the alternator failing. So it's sitting at the stealership in the snow (!!!) awaiting repair yet again.
At this juncture I'm considering either evaluating aftermarket cooling options, or going to a different platform entirely. how well-developed/tested is the aftermarket in terms of cooling?
Man, that’s a total bummer! Do you think it was the heat that killed the alternator?

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
An update: i was at auto club speedway this weekend (3 days in a row). New oil. It was a record breaking 115°. My oil temps reached 297° degrees, and then I decided to just start shifting at 7000rpm instead. Seemed like that made a pretty large difference in oil temps (thanks for the tip, honeybadger!)
What’s weird is that the water/engine temps seem stable. Is there something wrong with my oil cooler (it was replaced under warranty after it developed a leak). I’m wondering whether there is some blockage in the oil lines coming from the cooler.

pS, I’m running oem motorcraft 5-50

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Man, that’s a total bummer! Do you think it was the heat that killed the alternator?
That's the most likely root cause. I've not heard of anyone else's alternator failing. I'll see what the dealership says.
Sponsored