Sponsored

Oil Leak Help

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
I've been fighting a wet oil pan area for a while now and could use some help. I first saw oil collecting at the plug so I replaced the plug on the next change. I then noticed oil up higher on the oil pan bolts between the pan and the transmission.

The Ford dealership inspected and replaced the pan(and "built in gasket") during the winter. I found it to be leaking again in the spring and took it back to the dealership. They did a dye test and assured me it is the pan gasket leaking, and did a full replacement. I've put a few miles on it and see oil is already collecting at the usual spots already.

I am fairly certain its new oil as I cleaned it spotless each time. Neither the dealer or I can see any other source. It is driven about 100miles a month. Any ideas?

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Rear main up high is one of the only other possibilities if they aren't doing junk work. It's tricky to get those pans to seal though. Maybe it's not flat and needs to be replaced completely.

WayneK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My 18 GT had same issue. I even bought a new pan as I thought the original might be bad. I've only changed the oil once since then after 5,000 miles and I think it showed some signs of starting again. Those plastic pans are junk. I purchased a new Bronco sport last year and it has a plastic pan. Hope that I won't be facing the same issue.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I've read previous comments of warped valve covers and mis-torqued units causing leaks, so I could see the plastic oil pan being warped and doing same. And if tightened incorrectly in strength or pattern, even more so. Probably all of us at one time or another have come across a bolt or assembly where the installer tightened it using an air ratchet using way to much force for the job at-hand.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Take it to another dealership. If it’s been to the same dealer 2-3x now and the issue keeps coming back - then they’re either overlooking another issue OR their repair efforts are not 100% on par with how it should be repaired.

On a short note, check the oil sensor that is usually near the oil filter. This has been a very common source of leaks because the sensor either comes loose or it wa never secured tight enough to the block from the factory.

Also another common leak location is the valve covers. Earlier S550’s were missing fasteners and Ford actually put out a TSB on that subject matter where additional fasteners had to be added.

Rear main seal is possible too, but I’d make sure the other (2) areas above aren’t suspect before having to tear down the transmission for a RMS.

If the oil is coming “top down”, then further diagnosis is needed. Sure oil pan is first suspect, but I think the diagnosis needs to go deeper than just the pan more so since you’re now on what appearbe the 3rd repair.
Sponsored