OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 19 PP2 and when I went to do my first oil chance my factory filter was leaking slightly too. Wasn't really enough for me to notice drips.
What’s crazy is I’ve had this car since February and 4200 miles... never seen anything.
I got to look under the car too and was able to see the oil leaking...
Sponsored

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
I had mine for about 6 and a half months, 5000 miles before my first change. I didn't notice any spots on the ground and didn't lose enough oil to show up on the dipstick but your case might be different. I didn't have any oil dripping under the car when I changed it either, just a little bit running down the filter and a few drops on the inside of the belly pan.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had mine for about 6 and a half months, 5000 miles before my first change. I didn't notice any spots on the ground and didn't lose enough oil to show up on the dipstick but your case might be different. I didn't have any oil dripping under the car when I changed it either, just a little bit running down the filter and a few drops on the inside of the belly pan.
that’s kind of what I had too... I’m guess it just built up underneath the filter and started running on the floor.

(I took her in for her first oil change and filter anyhow. Oil was at 34%, and it was 4300 miles was decent enough timing)

I’ll do the next change at 6k miles. I checked the dipstick too and the limit is perfect.

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
My 2019 PP1 had its first oil change at 4000 miles by me. I saw oil in various places and finally saw the filter was leaking and loose. Well, I changed oil and put the next filter on myself. I tightened it with one hand fairly tight. Well, today at 9,000 miles I see oil under the car. Jacked it and, yep, the oil filter is loose again. Very loose. Apparently, some kind of harmonics are causing it to back off. Never seen this before and I’ve turned wrenches on cars for 30 years.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My 2019 PP1 had its first oil change at 4000 miles by me. I saw oil in various places and finally saw the filter was leaking and loose. Well, I changed oil and put the next filter on myself. I tightened it with one hand fairly tight. Well, today at 9,000 miles I see oil under the car. Jacked it and, yep, the oil filter is loose again. Very loose. Apparently, some kind of harmonics are causing it to back off. Never seen this before and I’ve turned wrenches on cars for 30 years.
Yeah that’s odd hopefully it never happens to me again...

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Jacked it and, yep, the oil filter is loose again. Very loose.
That is really weird, but that explains why other folks are reporting the same thing. Most thought the factory just forgot to tighten them, but I found that hard to believe, since I've always had a hell of a time removing factory filters. I'm about to change the oil on my car at 1K miles, and will make sure to tighten the filter more than I normally do... but if the factory filter comes loose, when it's tightened to hell and back, it'd come loose regardless, no? Curious how I find mine. The other option for us is not to lube the gasket, to make it harder to back out itself. Should I do that???

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
That is really weird, but that explains why other folks are reporting the same thing. Most thought the factory just forgot to tighten them, but I found that hard to believe, since I've always had a hell of a time removing factory filters. I'm about to change the oil on my car at 1K miles, and will make sure to tighten the filter more than I normally do... but if the factory filter comes loose, when it's tightened to hell and back, it'd come loose regardless, no? Curious how I find mine. The other option for us is not to lube the gasket, to make it harder to back out itself. Should I do that???
Never heard anyone recommend not lubricating the gasket, so I really doubt that's a good idea.

There was an idea I had not seen before in the GT-500 forum regarding this: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oil-filter-track-day-mishap.146082/#post-2990146

I can't remember if the oil filter on the GT 5.0 is placed in a location where you can, like in the GT500 photo, easily make it harder for the filter to unscrew by adding a clamp like this.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Never heard anyone recommend not lubricating the gasket, so I really doubt that's a good idea.
Of course is not a good idea, but if the filter keeps backing out, that might be a way to prevent it :D. That's why I mentioned it. If my filter is tight, I'm not going to do anything different than I always do, which is to lube the gasket, and hand-tighten the filter.
Sponsored