2016 mustang eco boost oil leak - please help

nwinkler247

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
It at the front and bottom part of the engine, I think it’s coming through the sealant/gasket between the oil pan and engine.. I’m 5 miles out of warranty, think I can Ford to fix??

DA3CEACF-7CF3-4DDC-B52D-D9C0C2E4DE04.jpeg

8C7EB526-A46D-4BEC-8F2F-48D8B29CB008.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@nwinkler247

Which direction are we looking at from your photos - head on at front of engine?

I’ll tell you another concern I see from your first image:

The rubber elastomeric center in that pulley is very deteriorated. If that is the crank or harmonic balancer (hard to tell from the image), that is not a good sign. If that rubber deteriorates further, there’s a good chance you’ll have an engine vibration and if let go further, it could walk the pulley apart OR in worst case scenario, snap the front of the crank due to excessive harmonic vibes. Do get that checked out, because if it looks like that on the front side from your image, it may look the same or worse on the back side.

—-

The oil leak:
The 2015-2017 EB’s had a known issue with the timing cover seeping/leaking due to an upper bolt on the passenger side not being properly covered in sealant when factory installed. The oil would seep past the bolt, down the front and side of the timing cover. If let go, oil follows the path of least resistance, so it would pool at bottom front of timing cover near oil pan.

Also to note, another common leak or seepage area was the oil sensor near the filter housing - these were loose from the factory. Again, lil would follow path of least resistance and seep along side of block.

If you are only 5 miles behind the 3/36, you could call the Ford 800# and inquire if they wI’ll give you some sort of compassion coverage since the car is only 5 miles outside of the 3/36 (IF that is the warranty you’re referring to since it’s not clear in your original post).

BUT

So you know, you also have a 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. Since you should ask about that pulley and the seepage is on the engine, the engine is part of the Powertrain Warranty. Now I do not know all components that would be covered 100% or not. You may want to ask your Dealership if they feel it would be covered under the 5/60 Powertrain and would it be a 100% covered repair with nothing out of pocket for you.

OP
OP

nwinkler247

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
@nwinkler247

Which direction are we looking at from your photos - head on at front of engine?

I’ll tell you another concern I see from your first image:

The rubber elastomeric center in that pulley is very deteriorated. If that is the crank or harmonic balancer (hard to tell from the image), that is not a good sign. If that rubber deteriorates further, there’s a good chance you’ll have an engine vibration and if let go further, it could walk the pulley apart OR in worst case scenario, snap the front of the crank due to excessive harmonic vibes. Do get that checked out, because if it looks like that on the front side from your image, it may look the same or worse on the back side.

—-

The oil leak:
The 2015-2017 EB’s had a known issue with the timing cover seeping/leaking due to an upper bolt on the passenger side not being properly covered in sealant when factory installed. The oil would seep past the bolt, down the front and side of the timing cover. If let go, oil follows the path of least resistance, so it would pool at bottom front of timing cover near oil pan.

Also to note, another common leak or seepage area was the oil sensor near the filter housing - these were loose from the factory. Again, lil would follow path of least resistance and seep along side of block.

If you are only 5 miles behind the 3/36, you could call the Ford 800# and inquire if they wI’ll give you some sort of compassion coverage since the car is only 5 miles outside of the 3/36 (IF that is the warranty you’re referring to since it’s not clear in your original post).

BUT

So you know, you also have a 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. Since you should ask about that pulley and the seepage is on the engine, the engine is part of the Powertrain Warranty. Now I do not know all components that would be covered 100% or not. You may want to ask your Dealership if they feel it would be covered under the 5/60 Powertrain and would it be a 100% covered repair with nothing out of pocket for you.
Thank you for jumping in, I’ll try get a better pic of the pulley tomorrow. I’ve already had my timing cover fixed, it was leaking ... this attached illustration was taken from the same angle and may help show where my leak seems to be coming from. There is a non standard metal sheet under the oil pan, I think it’s a shoddy repair from before I got it and the leak is right there

8FC5C6CC-B3C5-4CDE-8FAD-18454B7EBE01.jpeg

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Did you resolve this? I have a similar leak.
Sponsored