Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Yes, I know I shouldn't be asking this here. Yes, I know it's a topic that's had the ever living crap beat out of it.

I've got my finger on the "order" button, and just want to be sure I'm not making a mistake. I just need a few fast replies so I can place my order.

WIX XP filters are good, right? Considered one of the better filters?
Sponsored

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
From what I have learned, the most important part of the filter is the bypass valve. The specific pressure that it opens varies from brands and models, and Ford designed the engine to have increased oil flow at the bypass valve opening pressure. If the filter used has a different pressure that the valve opens that may cause issues. Just food for thought. This is why I use the OEM filter. I do use premium synthetic oils though.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
From what I have learned, the most important part of the filter is the bypass valve. The specific pressure that it opens varies from brands and models, and Ford designed the engine to have increased oil flow at the bypass valve opening pressure. If the filter used has a different pressure that the valve opens that may cause issues. Just food for thought. This is why I use the OEM filter. I do use premium synthetic oils though.
2018+ have electric bypass valves built into the oil pump I believe.

The oil pressures the gauge on the dash reads (PP cars) is very different from 2015-2017s, to the 2018+s.

Anyways, I ordered a Mobil 1 filter.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
2018+ have electric bypass valves built into the oil pump I believe.

The oil pressures the gauge on the dash reads (PP cars) is very different from 2015-2017s, to the 2018+s.

Anyways, I ordered a Mobil 1 filter.
Care to elaborate on the different readings for 15-17 and 18-up?

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Care to elaborate on the different readings for 15-17 and 18-up?
The oil pressure gauge stays pretty low most of the time. At warm idle it's around 12PSI. It scared me at first, I thought something was wrong in comparison to my 2016 GT PP. And during a cold start, it drops much faster.

Turns out there's some electronically controlled bypass built into the oil pump, so that the pressures are lower to gain 1/1000th of an MPG.

Reactions: luc

Sponsored

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
I generally use Purolator , Wix or Bosch filters

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Wix #1, by the way Purolators are Wix filters.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
WIX is all I use on every car, WIX for the Mustang is a tad bigger in diameter, compared to the Ford. The WIX actually has a larger sealing surface IMO to the block boss.

Tip fill the filer ONCE, let it absorb the oil. The filter can be installed without spillage.

Some what better than installing a totally dry filter. Motor starts pushing oil sooner, causer the filter element is oiled/saturated.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to prime a filter. That's what the bypass valve is for. Did some digging earlier and it seems the OEM filter valve is set at 16 PSI.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The bypass valve – otherwise known as a pressure relief valve – is an integral part of the oil filter. The valve is designed to open when the oil filter becomes clogged or when the oil is too thick. This allows the oil to bypass the filter through a center tube. The oil then goes straight to the engine to prevent starvation and damage.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is good over all info, I want to make a point about one size (manufacture) fits all, meaning oil filters with one source and labeled for others to sell

I actually learned this little factoid, buying a product form Home Depot & Lowes.

An identical product from both, in the box there were differences. I asked Home Depot why the difference . I got this answer, Home Depot has different requirements for their identical product.

As with anyone filmilure with Home Depot, that equates to lower standard of quality.

One line in the link provided stood out to me. It said ""Enginered by Purolator"

So what can that mean it can mean the canister & bypass are the same. But the filter element quality (moron) could be questioned ?

Just saying. ^^^^^

No need to prime a filter. That's what the bypass valve is for. Did some digging earlier and it seems the OEM filter valve is set at 16 PSI.
.................................^^^
How does this make any sense ........ think about it?

And no there really is not a need to prim an oil filter, nor is there a need to check tire pressures.

But I do both cause it makes sense.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to check tire pressure when you have a gauge readout on the dash. :sunglasses:

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Seems Ford disagrees.

Screenshot_20201018-222220.png

Screenshot_20201018-222919.png

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems Ford disagrees.

Screenshot_20201018-222220.png

Screenshot_20201018-222919.png

You are correct, the app is pretty close, gauge is better.

Believe the comment regarding tire pressure. Was a childish attempt to change the subject. After a hole was blown , in the ridiculous post regarding the operation of a filter by-pass valve .

Instead of learning, attracts the messenger .............
Sponsored