Sponsored

Oil filter comparison. Omg blasphemy.

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
So for the last month I bought some filters that are not supposed to fit the all might God created Gt500 since you couldn't get them. I drive my car 70 miles a day. It needed an oil change badly. So I went and committed a GT500 forum sin and put in a fram filter. Omg it's going to suck in and blow the engine. The factory filter does have metal in it where as the aftermarkets have plastics
20220411_101623.jpg
20220411_101651.jpg
20220411_101705.jpg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You probably will be fine. Nobody said an aftermarket filter would blow your engine. The problem is that if your engine blows and they find an aftermarket filter in there, then your warranty might get voided. That's all, nothing more to the story.

If you decide you want to install an FL2087, let me know.

OP
OP
GTFORMULA

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You probably will be fine. Nobody said an aftermarket filter would blow your engine. The problem is that if your engine blows and they find an aftermarket filter in there, then your warranty might get voided. That's all, nothing more to the story.

I'll get one eventually. I have a few deplorables to go thru first hahaha. In one year if I still have the car it will have a whipple 3.8 and no warranty anyways.

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None

I have such a problem with this...Catch 22 BS. If Ford voids a warranty because theres an aftermarket filter then Ford needs to be sure that they can provide us with the needed factory filter. "Oh, you have a fram filter and your motor blew...void....Oh, we can't supply you with a filter and you couldn't do the necessary service on your car and went past the oil change service dates...void. F That. Nobody here to my knowledge signed anything saying if Ford can't provide us with simple service parts we either A. possibly get our warranty voided or B. can't drive the car we paid for. This is such BULLSHIT!!!
EDIT to add: And why should the onus be on us to go out searching for these filters....NO I make my appointment (or any of us) to take my car with reasonable leeway, to my local certified Ford dealer and they change my oil. Not our job to do their job for cars we paid good money for... End rant

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTFORMULA

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never heard of any car company voiding a warranty from an aftermarket oil filter. Those manufacturers must meet factory specs to even sell them.

OP
OP
GTFORMULA

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I worked at a Pontiac and Cadillac dealers years ago. Nothing ever even came up about which filter was on the car. Only if it was clearly not maintained.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have such a problem with this...Catch 22 BS. If Ford voids a warranty because theres an aftermarket filter then Ford needs to be sure that they can provide us with the needed factory filter. "Oh, you have a fram filter and your motor blew...void....Oh, we can't supply you with a filter and you couldn't do the necessary service on your car and went past the oil change service dates...void. F That. Nobody here to my knowledge signed anything saying if Ford can't provide us with simple service parts we either A. possibly get our warranty voided or B. can't drive the car we paid for. This is such BULLSHIT!!!
EDIT to add: And why should the onus be on us to go out searching for these filters....NO I make my appointment (or any of us) to take my car with reasonable leeway, to my local certified Ford dealer and they change my oil. Not our job to do their job for cars we paid good money for... End rant
The filters are available now. I posted a thread with a link to filters

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
The filters are available now. I posted a thread with a link to filters
Yes, I read your post and saw your link and saw your thread as well. 1. That dealer is one of few who have them in stock and 2. I'll elaborate on my situation, Tom. I have 5 free oil changes through my purchasing dealer. It defeats the purpose of me buying filters when they are to be free. I'll pass along the info but I am sure thier parts dept. can look up themselves and see who has them in stock at other dealers

ARAMP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Not to hijack the thread, I have been comparing the few filters I have on hand lately also. I know this has been gone over before, but why not...I have a K&N PS-7020 (I've always been a fan of K&N stuff and run their filters on my other vehicles), the Motorcraft FL-2062, an Amsoil EA15K43 (I'm using Amsoil 5W-50 in my GT350), and the coveted Motorcraft FL-2087 (that I was able to recently pick up with the housing).

20220415_103510.jpg

One thing I immediately noticed after buying my car was that the oil pressure was extremely high compared to pretty much any other vehicle I've owned. I know that the pressures are different in different parts of the motor too, depending on where the sensor is located. But, the GT350 was over 100 PSI at initial startup, cold at idle. It was around 100 PSI warm just cruising down the interstate. I think it's easy to see why they added the metal internal reinforcement in the newer style FL-2087 filters.

The first obvious difference is that the Amsoil and FL-2087 have the rubber end caps where as the K&N and FL-2062 don't. If you look inside the Amsoil, you can see that though it doesn't have the metal inner support structure that the FL-2087 does, the filter pleats do have the metal screen supports like the FL-2087.

20220415_103517.jpg

It appears that neither the K&N or the FL-2062 have the pleat reinforcement screen.

20220415_103523.jpg

It seems there are three levels of this type of filter. The lowest, base model that doesn't have rubber end caps, doesn't have metal screen reinforced pleats, and has a plastic core. K&N and FL-2062. Personally, I'd avoid these. The next level adds the rubber end caps and the metal screen reinforce pleats. Amsoil and the Fram above in the thread. And the last adds the metal inner core. The only one I've been able to find that has this is the FL-2087.

I bought my car used with 1000 miles on it and changed the oil the first night of ownership just to get a baseline on what I had. The filter in it was an FL-2087 and since I couldn't find one at the time, I put in an Amsoil filter. I'm not racing my car, just driving it back and forth to work, so I plan on leaving the Amsoil filter in until the next oil change just to see what it looks like after use. Now that the FL-2087 seem to be getting back into stock, I'll probably stick with that one from now on.
Sponsored