Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
Nah, I'm sure they thought it through as in the same email and I quote -
We will require the form to be signed and returned to acknowledge that you have read and understood the bulleting and actioned review of vehicles that you have installed these oil cooler kits too.
Attached to the .pdf was an acknowledgement form they wanted you to sign and it says -
The undersigned has read the bulletin, understood the contents & where required will comply with the instructions.

Failure to comply may result in non-operation or incorrect operation or damage.
So I'm sure they had some legal help so they can absolve liability.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Ah ok so it seems they want installers to foot the bill? I'm sure that'll work!

I hope they didn't pay too much for that legal advice, it reads like something they put out there to try and be smart about covering their backsides. Unfortunately for them it doesn't work that way.

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
Yeah I really doubt any installer will just foot the bill for Harrop's screw up. They'll either ask us to pay to fix it or just simply not tell us about this issue as it seems like the email is only sent to suppliers or those who bought from Harrop directly, which in that case Harrop will probably just point to the document they're getting companies and people to sign and go "see we already told you and you signed here! It's your own fault." if there are any more failures.

I'll be interested to see what the Ford dealers who install the kits and are close with Harrop will do. I wonder if they'll just cop the hit/stay silent on the issue and not tell customers/get Harrop cover their bigger clients.

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Yeah that's bad on Harrops behalf, surely this is a consumer affair issue, or something for a classic today tonight type show....very poor, especially as you paid all that coin to prevent a failure only to risk a failure :crazy::thumbsdown:

El Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Oh seriously, I just got my kit installed literally last week and thought I could put away the topic of risk of failure on the stock part with peace of mind. Now I may potentially be back to square one and foot another bill?! 😡

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Certainly a touch of irony not only because as stated above you pay a lot of money to alleviate a risk etc...and it took them ages to actually release the kits. Too quick and greedy to get to market perhaps. Not routing hoses near sharp edges is something most car modifying folks learn as teenagers.

Harrop thinking they're off the hook because they say/imply it's up to everyone else to fix it = dreaming. Mine was installed by a Ford dealer so I'll be calling them Monday. Risky for them if they go down the ignorance/too hard path, wonder what the response from installers has been.

Takata: Our airbag may kill you because we stuffed up the manufacturing process. Twice. You have been warned. Now fix it.

Mr & Mrs Shrek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave and Beth
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Mine was installed by Harrop in Melbourne and no email. I have just emailed them to confirm if it is at risk or not, and if so will they fix it for free. I will update on their response.

65muzzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT
I had mine installed at tune house. When I called them they booked me in at no charge. They said it was a piece of mined thing but they did secure the hose and did whatever was needed to make sure it does not fail. Can’t complain about that.

Mr & Mrs Shrek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave and Beth
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Mine was installed by Harrop in Melbourne and no email. I have just emailed them to confirm if it is at risk or not, and if so will they fix it for free. I will update on their response.
Harrop confirmed it is free of charge.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Mine was installed at a dealer. They thought Harrop's hose routing solution was questionable and came up with their own. It'll be checked at the next service.

Sponsored

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
Would it be possible to see what they come up with? I was thinking of using rubber trim edge protectors or something instead of bending the rad support

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
For sure, I'll get them to remove the lower panel because I want to see too. I didn't realise they'd done it differently until I called them about the Harrop notification.

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was installed at a dealer. They thought Harrop's hose routing solution was questionable and came up with their own. It'll be checked at the next service.
Having spoken directly to Harrop, the hose routing is actually OK if fitted when following the instructions perfectly.

They issued the bulletin after 3 (only 3!) reported failures. Each of the failures were done by installers who didn't actually follow the correct install process. BUT because they considered that sufficient risk for their brand name to be jeapourdised, they made a conscious decision to make a minor modification to the component.

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. To clarify, they modified the component or installation instructions?
They have modified the component to remove any issues that might arise as a result of poorly fitted hardware.

Listening to their explanation was eye opening in their commitment to their brand name and their product.

It was nice to see their thinking on the matter.
Sponsored