Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Mine had 2x year service done today. I asked what if anything is been done about the oil cooler issues ? The reply I got was nothing don't worry about it unless you get problems !
I did note another Mustang was in the workshop having it's engine removed. I asked if that was an oil cooler issue ? The reply was maybe !!!
Sponsored

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
So, was chatting yesterday to the Mustang mechanic at my Ford dealer. He has been doing nearly 1 a fortnight apparently.

And the shock is, they are nearly all 2017 cars he said. One car went off the forecourt, did 2000kms and was back within a month for a new engine.

No idea where Ford get the idea that this was only going to affect early 2016 cars, but whoever came up with that is clueless... or they simply did not fix the part until much much later.

But certainly sounds much more prevalent than Ford are letting on.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, was chatting yesterday to the Mustang mechanic at my Ford dealer. He has been doing nearly 1 a fortnight apparently.

And the shock is, they are nearly all 2017 cars he said. One car went off the forecourt, did 2000kms and was back within a month for a new engine.

No idea where Ford get the idea that this was only going to affect early 2016 cars, but whoever came up with that is clueless... or they simply did not fix the part until much much later.

But certainly sounds much more prevalent than Ford are letting on.
I think itā€™s worth remembering that this is the same company that managed to fit two different mirrors to an Aussie vehicle (i donā€™t recall who sorry).
To think that they might be able to intercept an oil-cooler....:lol:

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I wrote to Choice Magazine about the oil cooler and ac evap. They said they hadn't heard of these issues before and I got the idea that they were reluctant to investigate further based on only one approach, which is understandable. If others are interested in taking the same approach it probably wouldn't hurt, both in drawing attention to the issues themselves and the lack of communication from Ford. Choice had success in getting exploding Thermomixes addressed, so who knows. Their contact page is here: https://www.choice.com.au/contact-choice

Reactions: 12g

ozracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0
recently had my car serviced ay adrian brien ford at st marys in adelaide and they claimed they had never seen a problem with them. I don't think i believe them be interested if anyone knows different.

Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
So another one has reportedly failed in the past couple of days causing catastrophic engine failure.

Ford seem to be honouring warranties at the moment, but don't appear to be doing anything proactive in order to resolve the issue before it occurs.

I'm particularly concerned about how these failures will be dealt with once our factory warranties expire. (Yes, I'm aware of Australian Consumer Laws, however would rather not have to fight tooth and nail to achieve a resolution).

We should also not have to explore third party options (and associated expense) to address this issue.
oc.jpg

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
Ford seem to be honouring warranties at the moment, but don't appear to be doing anything proactive in order to resolve the issue before it occurs.
As mentioned previously, my oil cooler was replaced on my 2017 at my first inspection service. I hadn't experienced any issues, but asked about the oil cooler. They said they checked it and replaced it under a maintenance bulletin.

Not sure what the story is here. No sure too whether t was a totally different part that was fitted.

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 Ruby Red Magneride/Recaro Seats
I pick up my 2018 this week ( I hope ). Looks like I will have to worry about this as well - the position of the cooler is still the same

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
I pick up my 2018 this week ( I hope ). Looks like I will have to worry about this as well - the position of the cooler is still the same
Good point. If you have not read before , I have added our findings below.
It is more about the positioning , rather than the OEM component itself.

"After extensive testing in regards to why standard oil coolers are failing, our findings are proving the positioning of the standard cooler is the primary cause.
Being mounted under the hot exhaust manifold is not ideal for any type of cooler , however we believe the primary reason for failures is the unusual frequency of oil pressure pulsation at this mounting point.

We have electronically logged oil pressure wave forms at several differing points on the 5.0 engine and have found the mounting area of the standard oil cooler to be the worst for pressure pulsation. This pulsation increases substantially and erratically with engine revolutions and load.

We have also logged the oil cooler mounting position for the LHD Mustangs and found no such pulsation , possibly explaining why the U.S Mustangs do not have a problem with failure.

A possible combination of heat and poor component quality may also increase chances of the cooler failing when placed in a position where there are erratic pressure frequencies.
Please note that these are our own internal findings and may not be the same findings of the OE manufacturer."

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
So another one has reportedly failed in the past couple of days causing catastrophic engine failure.

I'm particularly concerned about how these failures will be dealt with once our factory warranties expire. (Yes, I'm aware of Australian Consumer Laws, however would rather not have to fight tooth and nail to achieve a resolution).

We should also not have to explore third party options (and associated expense) to address this issue.

I agree Drewbo, however when I contacted Ford customer service 2 weeks ago the answer I was given " we cannot comment on what will happen after the warranty expires" so very non committal from ford.

In my situation I do a lot of long distance travel and rather not be stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting to be rescued,which can take up to 1-2 days. then have the hassle of arranging transport to finish the trip.

I have taken to option to purchase the Street fighter kit, I picked it up last week when I was in Adelaide.

Sponsored

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2

One solution taken by a number of us RHD-ers has been to replace the Oil Cooler Assembly pre-emptively with the new one from the 2018 model, with the -D suffix in its serial number: GR3Z-6A642-D. Apparently, the redesigned one is more robust.
This can cost about UKĀ£300 for import and install.
If the problem was all about position, then that was Ā£300 wasted. Question is: have any RHD 2018s failed so far?

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I have taken to option to purchase the Street fighter kit, I picked it up last week when I was in Adelaide.
I'm hearing that Harrop are close to releasing their solution - will be interesting to see what they come up with and how much Mustang Tax (if any) is applied.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Harrop told me they were close just before Xmas. Approx $800 before fitting and no oil filter relocation.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
Starting to worry if i should even pick mine up:shrug:,not sure i want a car that
i wont be able to enjoy because it will always be in in the back of my mind if and when it's going to crap its self.
!!FORD NEEDS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!!:(
Hopefully the 18's wont have this issue,but i might delay my pickup a few months just to see if any issues arise on the 18's first.:ninja:

Ford 18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 Ruby Red Magneride/Recaro Seats
Starting to worry if i should even pick mine up:shrug:,not sure i want a car that
i wont be able to enjoy because it will always be in in the back of my mind if and when it's going to crap its self.
!!FORD NEEDS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM!!:(
Hopefully the 18's wont have this issue,but i might delay my pickup a few months just to see if any issues arise on the 18's first.:ninja:
I am a bit the same. Trouble is it is an unknown with the 2018.
I will look at the Harrop solution and then decide whether to fit it or the Street Fighter option.
Regardless I don't plan to drive around in a ticking time bomb
Sponsored