Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
I am a bit the same. Trouble is it is an unknown with the 2018.
I will look at the Harrop solution and then decide whether to fit it or the Street Fighter option.
Regardless I don't plan to drive around in a ticking time bomb
I might check weather the 19 has the same setup first, if so i guess after market will be the way to go to get some piece of mind,just got to wonder if we would loose our FORD warranty if we go aftermarket if something did go wrong.
Sponsored

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I might check weather the 19 has the same setup first, if so i guess after market will be the way to go to get some piece of mind,just got to wonder if we would loose our FORD warranty if we go aftermarket if something did go wrong.
If you fit an aftermarket oil cooler and something else goes wrong with the engine or the after market cooler fails on you ford will deny a warranty claim so you will be up shit creek . Ford Aus know of the oil cooler problem and will replace your engine even after warranty has expired . Rob Herrod has spoken about this a few times .

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
If you fit an aftermarket oil cooler and something else goes wrong with the engine or the after market cooler fails on you ford will deny a warranty claim so you will be up shit creek . Ford Aus know of the oil cooler problem and will replace your engine even after warranty has expired . Rob Herrod has spoken about this a few times .
So if your unlucky to need an engine replacement,would FORD be restamping the engine's with the original build numbers or would you just get what they give you?.

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Ford can deny any driveline warranty claim should any aftermarket component be the cause of the failure.
This includes, suspension, exhaust systems,air intakes, aftermarket tuning, short shifters etc etc etc.

Sponsored

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
Ford can deny any driveline warranty claim should any aftermarket component be the cause of the failure.
This includes, suspension, exhaust systems,air intakes, aftermarket tuning, short shifters etc etc etc.
Sounds like your best not to do any Mods until the car warranty has expired then,
car company's would always be looking for a reason to not give you a warranty claim,but 5 years is a long time to wait,so its bit of a gamble then if you do i guess.

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Sounds like your best not to do any Mods until the car warranty has expired then,
car company's would always be looking for a reason to not give you a warranty claim,but 5 years is a long time to wait,so its bit of a gamble then if you do i guess.
Generally car companies will cover warranty problems should there be no link to an aftermarket component, however there are times when it is a grey area and cause them to deny the claim.
This why companies like Streetfighter, Ford Performance and several others offer a secondary 3 Year/100,000km driveline warranty to cover any faults that cause a warranty issue should you carry out an upgrade.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
'Anything built [in] 2018 is unaffected'. As usual, a sweeping statement with nothing to back it up. At one stage they'd have said there's no problem with the 16s. Maybe 'as yet unaffected' is more appropriate but time will tell. Streetfighter has suggested the problem relates to oil pulsation, it could be a case of Ford fixing the pulsation and not the cooler so fitting an 18 cooler to a 17 car might not work. Despite Ford's unusual behaviour around this problem (and the ac evap) people are buying the 18 with no actual assurance of a fix so if you're Ford, why try harder.

Ford Aus know of the oil cooler problem and will replace your engine even after warranty has expired . Rob Herrod has spoken about this a few times .
All due respect to Rob but he isn't Ford and neither does he represent them. Conversely he's unlikely to represent disaffected owners to Ford should it arise that they're not covered outside warranty for their blown engine. Ford have much to gain by providing an assurance around this but they refuse. Hell of a way to find out but we'll only know their intention after a motor blows outside warranty. The response will undoubtedly go viral, either good or bad.

Notably it appears that owners in the US are being stung for a/c evap repairs outside warranty, and that problem is both global and more widespread in any given market than the oil cooler issue.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Nong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual Fastback Lightning Blue
Drewbo, with that last failure you documented do you know the build date of the car, if not could you find out.

We know the Ford TSB states that build dates before 26 July 16 may be affected however we know they are failing after that date and if this is the case here its just more information we know that Ford would not want us to know. Information is power. It would be great to know just how many GT's have had this problem in Aus and the RHD market in general.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Drewbo, with that last failure you documented do you know the build date of the car, if not could you find out.
I am reliably informed that it's an October 2015 build.

Last edited:

Sponsored

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My advice is enjoy your car. If the oil cooler fail, let Ford handle it and give you a new engine. The moment you install aftermarket solution, you will void your warranty. You have 5 years to relax and not worry about it.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Everyone's circumstances are different but I largely agree with this ^.

I have NRMA coverage and don't do much country driving, also I suspect you could drive the thing for 200km after the milkshake without it actually stopping so there's reduced likelihood of being badly stranded. Other than for the inconvenience and needing to find a good dealer, if they keep replacing engines I'm happy.

But we need to stay aware in case they stop doing this or go to flushing the engine instead of replacing it.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
My advice is enjoy your car. If the oil cooler fail, let Ford handle it and give you a new engine. The moment you install aftermarket solution, you will void your warranty. You have 5 years to relax and not worry about it.
Everyone's circumstances are different but I largely agree with the bit about just enjoying the car. I have NRMA coverage and don't do much really remote country driving, and also I suspect you could drive the thing for 200km after the milkshake without it actually stopping thus reducing the likelihood of being badly stranded. Other than for the inconvenience and needing to find a good dealer, if they keep replacing engines I guess I'm happy enough.

But we need to stay aware in case they stop doing this in or out of warranty, or go to flushing the engine instead of replacing it.

The issue of voiding warranty has been discussed quite a bit in this thread. The general rule is that the dealer, in rejecting a claim, must prove that the modification contributed to the failure. If you're concerned get the dealer to install it, some are happy to do this and since most of these kits remove the part that fails there's not a lot to be concerned about in this particular regard.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
I'm sure my warranty is only 3 years and so runs out March next year. There will be others like me who need to make a decision soon what to do.

I will be comparing the cost of extending the factory warranty and know this covers everything vs. my desire to fit headers and have a tune. I'm thinking if you go down the extended warranty path, you wouldn't want to start modifying the engine especially. I've done some suspension mods already but I'm not concerned about those.

So for me it's; do I spend $1200- on the cooler kit and know that potential problem is sorted (with the added bonus of improved cooling) and then do what I want to the car, or extend the warranty for another 3 years (considering also the a/c issue) - effectively putting off the same decision until 2022 and leaving the car as is.

I've got six months to decide... :shrug:

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I will be comparing the cost of extending the factory warranty and know this covers everything vs. my desire to fit headers and have a tune. I'm thinking if you go down the extended warranty path, you wouldn't want to start modifying the engine especially. I've done some suspension mods already but I'm not concerned about those.

So for me it's; do I spend $1200- on the cooler kit and know that potential problem is sorted (with the added bonus of improved cooling) and then do what I want to the car, or extend the warranty for another 3 years (considering also the a/c issue) - effectively putting off the same decision until 2022 and leaving the car as is.
I was thinking along the same lines, however the T&C's (the 'warranty' is provided by a third party) give a blanket out for them if your vehicle is 'modified'.

That would seem to rule most of us out (assuming that they class aftermarket exhaust systems as a modification).

https://www.einsure.com.au/wb/public...L383DE_FOR.pdf

This warranty will cease to operate and no claims will be accepted where the vehicle:

1. Has been modified from the manufacturer’s original specifications, unless endorsed by the warranty administrator.

Sponsored