Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
If Ford don't acknowledge this issue and come up with a solution, I'll certainly consider offloading the car when the factory warranty expires.
You can't do that. As a 60 year old St Pats boy I'll miss your photos of the Shire.:lol:
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
You can't do that. As a 60 year old St Pats boy I'll miss your photos of the Shire.:lol:
I live on the next block!

It's probably a hollow threat, to be perfectly honest.

I'm quite attached to this bloody car.

:thumbsup:

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ Yep, makes total sense.

Do you think you'll have it back for the Sinclair Mudgee cruise?

I'm aiming to go on that one.
If I don't get The Beast back, they've already offered me one of their loaners for the weekend!

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
I also contacted ford Aus customer service and they responded by stating that all cars will be inspected at service intervals. I asked if I could have the cooler replaced for my piece of mind and the response was if it hasn’t failed yet ford won’t replace the oil cooler
I can understand that so I would love to know how Frostee's dealer is going to sell the replacement to Ford with no visible issues see posts 219,222
Cheers

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
I can understand that so I would love to know how Frostee's dealer is going to sell the replacement to Ford with no visible issues see posts 219,222
Cheers
The other issue is, are you changing out an ok oil cooler for a new one that will potentially fail. As there appears to be no guarantee that the new coolers are not going to fail then it is a lottery if you get an old one changed to a new one.
Frankly, the only genuine worry free way is to replace the water/oil interface with an air/oil type.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I think the evidence suggests the new ones will fail. TeamDenno's car is a Jan 2017 build so whatever fix Ford thought they had, isn't one. TSB was published 4 Nov 2016 for pre Jul cars so maybe they didn't clear the shelves of the problem units (oops not a problem it only affects a small number of cars :doh: ) etc but fact is there's at least one 2017 build affected.

Oil cooler is one way, the other is to get Ford to acknowledge it as a problem that will be fixed per the TSB outside warranty. One is $1.5k at your leisure to fix their problem, the other costs almost no $ but does require time and delivers a huge amount of satisfaction. Depends on which hat fits...:)

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
I'm just going to run with what I have.

The oil cooler has been replaced and documented under the TSB

If anything happens, I've got enough to be comfortable that I am covered

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Have you heard anything back from the dealership over how your warranty job was received by Ford?

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
Have you heard anything back from the dealership over how your warranty job was received by Ford?
No, and I don't expect to.

The replacement was performed as a result of me asking them to check it out. They made the call, and I'm happy that they did.

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
The issue still remains that replacing the part with a same/similar part will not change the outcome if the design and placement is faulty to begin with

Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
The issue still remains that replacing the part with a same/similar part will not change the outcome if the design and placement is faulty to begin with
True, but encouraging Ford acknowledged potential defect and useful documented evidence in event of subsequent failure beyond warranty.
Better if issue completely resolved.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Coupe Race Red 6MT
Looking for a remote filter option with an oil cooler, like many from what I have read on this forum. I have come across a promising unit from Improved Racing (USA) that is a remote filter and thermostat which will simplify plumbing http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-c...n-oil-filter-mount-with-thermostat-p-781.html, I gave them a call and found that they working on a Mustang kit to be released in the next 1-2 months. They sent me the CAD view of the oil adapter for the block and it looks good. I do not like any kit that uses the big aluminium extension housing right near a big heat source or cat and/or headers. Putting a blanking plate on it with a channel to complete the oil circuit is hardly an engineering masterpiece. I have called Harrop but I cannot get any broad details on the kit they have in testing eg does it use the extension housing, is it a sandwich plate or proper adapter?
Does anyone know if the GT350 housing (M-6881-52CA): filter with thermostat and cooler line ports will clear the RHD rack?

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Is the Improved Racing version ok for RHD? Harrop told me their kit won't have a remote filter option, but I've been talking to Eastside Mustang Enhancements in Adelaide as they might soon be able to put together a kit that does - they're not intending to mass produce theirs at this stage since Streetfighter and Harrop already have kits.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Coupe Race Red 6MT
Improved Racing are happy to try and make their kit RHD compatible. But, they cannot get access to RHD car for fitment so they are reliant on input from us. I have send some pictures of the OEM oil cooler extension housing and mentioned that I expect that they would need to make spacers to fit under the engine mount bracket or use a USA LH engine mount bracket. I have some BMR engine mount brackets that I am going to use which allow lowering while using the OEM rubber mounts. The adapter block should fit but while they are in prototyping they can accommodate changes. Once I get back from Tokyo at the end of the week I need to send them some pictures of the RHD setup and how oil system things are positioned around the steering rack motor which I believe is driving the differences to the USA/LHD setup. If someone else can post some pictures especially if they have a hoist to get some good under car shots that will be good.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Mmr do a plate that replaces the filter manifold totally. The rhd manifold is totally removed. You then plumb oil lines to the mmr plate and take it to a remote filter under the hood. I plan on using a generic remote filter boss with no thermostat. I will then put a laminova oil/water heat exchanger in line and plumb it with the coolant supply from the stock locations that feed our rhd oil cooler. All this will be mounted in the engine bay.
Sponsored