Sponsored

Oil Change

pjcar52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
A question I have a 2017 Ford Mustang GT and its due for its first oil change the Ford Dealer told me that if I do not use for motorcraft oil that it would void my engine's warranty I spoke with a friend he side as long as I use the correct type and weight then I am fine?

Thanks its my first post
Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
That would mean that everyone here that doesn't use motorcraft oil has voided their warranty.
Find a new dealer?

Edit: Just make sure you use the right oil.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
A question I have a 2017 Ford Mustang GT and its due for its first oil change the Ford Dealer told me that if I do not use for motorcraft oil that it would void my engine's warranty I spoke with a friend he side as long as I use the correct type and weight then I am fine?

Thanks its my first post
Totally false, at least in the USA. You do still have to use an oil that meets the weight and standard called for in the owner's manual. Pretty much any "name" brand oil will meet the standard, but always a good idea to look for the standard being mentioned on the bottle or can (anyone still do cans?).

Warranty also requires oil changes per the manual (often displayed on the dash of cars when time). So make sure there is a record of the change that includes the date/mileage/oil life percent (if car shows it) and what oil was used. Good idea to keep receipts. Great place to record changes is on the Ford website. Owners can create a profile for any Ford they own which will show everything Ford has done and allows owners to enter what they or a 3rd party has done.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
There's no way for them to know what oil you used if it's the same color, type, and weight. They are fearmongering you into buying Motorcraft for no reason other than profit.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Your Ford Dealer is stupid. That's not true at all. My first oil change was 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I'd love to see someone try to void my warranty over that stuff.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Your Ford Dealer is stupid. That's not true at all. My first oil change was 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I'd love to see someone try to void my warranty over that stuff.
+1

I don't use Motorcraft....never have.

My '18 gets Mobil 1 Full Synthetic at every change interval. I'd like to see a dealer make an argument that Motorcraft is better than that.

Your dealer.....as stated above.....is stupid. Sadly, a lot of them are.

Sponsored

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Yea, don't let the dealer BS you. Just keep receipts and anyplace can change it. Don't use that dealer for anything.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me very unlikely that even a newbie Service Writer (what are they called these days?) would make such a statement. Someone at the agency was making a bet: "For lunches, let me see if I can convince this guy to use exclusively MotorCraft oii." It's a bad joke of some kind, or a misinterpretation of what the Owners Manual says, which is NOT "Use only Ford products," but "Use only products that meet Ford's well-defined standards."

For my part, I believe that it is a worthwhile decision to change to Full Synthetic oil from any major refiner, including Ford, PennZoil, Mobil, Castrol, and many others. It's not necessary in order to maintain factory warranties, I had an early experience with full-synthetic that convinced me the slight increase in price was more than outweighed by a ten-degree drop in oil temperature after a mid-event oil change during a hot Riverside International Raceway track session.

Deleted member 35644

I wish this was the first time I've heard of service personnel talking out their asses.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The dealer isn't stupid, just trying to scare you into servicing the car there, so they can make more money off you.
Sponsored