Oil Change Interval

MISCHVOUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen/Pauline
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT/CS,
Does anyone change their engine oil before the 15K Km interval? I plan to do mine at 5,000 Km regularly. The Coyote V8 has Aluminium bearings which are very susceptible to the acids found in used engine oil. I will run 5W40 instead of the 5W20 that Ford recommend. The 5W40 is used in the Shelby Mustangs and offers better protection at high temperatures for no extra cost.
I also will buy a billet reusable sump drain plug instead os the standard Ford disposable one.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-oil...8knT0vyFTURCIXshGdQAJUoTIdFbD57gaAn78EALw_wcB
1674388612331.png
Sponsored

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I don't run hard but I use 0w40 all year round it is a true synthetic and use purealator filter. I usually go about 7,000 miles on all my engines.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hi Stephen/Pauline. I would have thought that your 22 takes the Ford Australian recommended 5W30. They changed from 5W20 in 2018. My yearly milage is not high so I stick with the yearly change. I have used Royal Purple since the first change and will continue with it.
Next oil change I will be throwing on my Femco plug which gets fairly good reviews and should make it an easier job.
https://www.femco.com/product/ford-oil-plug/
OilVac Aust. in Perth have them.
https://oilvacsystems.com.au/
If this is of interest I dealt with their Jon Lamb.
I also have the UPR plug (the 3025-02 version) but the Femco looked a better piece. Some people say that the UPR has come adrift on them. Perhaps not a common thing. The Femco is plastic so may play with the plastic sump pan better.

Last edited:

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Every 12 months. Regardless.

Just serviced last week and had done about 2500km since last change.

OP
OP
MISCHVOUS

MISCHVOUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen/Pauline
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT/CS,
Hi Stephen/Pauline. I would have thought that your 22 takes the Ford Australian recommended 5W30. They changed from 5W20 in 2018. My yearly milage is not high so I stick with the yearly change. I have used Royal Purple since the first change and will continue with it.
Next oil change I will be throwing on my Femco plug which gets fairly good reviews and should make it an easier job.
I also have the UPR plug (the 3025-02 version) but the Femco looked a better piece. Some people say that the UPR has come adrift on them. Perhaps not a common thing. The Femco is plastic so may play with the plastic sump pan better.
Thanks fo the info.,
My wife works in Btbra Lake so I'll get her to pick one up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MISCHVOUS

MISCHVOUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen/Pauline
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT/CS,
Thanks fo the info.,
My wife works in Btbra Lake so I'll get her to pick one up.

the_scotsman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hmmm...I have a '21 GT. Bought it around May last year. It was a year old and had just over 1000kms on it. But I do around 40,000km a year, around 1000km a week.

I used to do my G6ET every 5000-7000km. Maybe I should be doing the same with the Mustang.

Do you give Ford (if you use them) your own oil to use with each service? I used to do that with the Falcon, I assume I can still do it with the Mustang. God knows what stuff Ford use.

For the high mileage I do, what's the recommended oil to use?

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Hmmm...I have a '21 GT. Bought it around May last year. It was a year old and had just over 1000kms on it. But I do around 40,000km a year, around 1000km a week.

I used to do my G6ET every 5000-7000km. Maybe I should be doing the same with the Mustang.

Do you give Ford (if you use them) your own oil to use with each service? I used to do that with the Falcon, I assume I can still do it with the Mustang. God knows what stuff Ford use.

For the high mileage I do, what's the recommended oil to use?
I have allways had the dealer use my oil. I supply them with Royal Purple 10 litres. I have this year's service the last on my warranty period and I will do that and future ones myself. I have lost any respect or faith in the dealers abilities after numerous workshop incidents that were left to me to bring up. The icing on the cake was when at the last service I asked the receptionist who was handing over my car where my remaining 1/2 litre of oil was. She came back from asking the mechanic with his reply,"ýour car takes 10 litres". Funny that. So the mechanic either did not know that they only take 9.5 litres or he took me for a fool. I checked the dipstick later and it was not in excess.

I will never know if my oil was ever used or if the mechanics just took it home. For peace of mind I will do it myself.

the_scotsman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Thanks, yea, I really dislike having to take my car to Ford (or anywhere really). I prefer to do all my own servicing and repairs, but for warranty sake, I just let Ford do it. I know they've lied to me about things in the past with my last car (dashcam was running and captured them saying things they then lied to me about). I never went back to that dealer after that. Looking at you Harrigan Ford.

I'll definitely take my own oil in too then. Just wonder what's recommended for the high kms I do. 5W-30 still ok to be using?

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Thanks, yea, I really dislike having to take my car to Ford (or anywhere really). I prefer to do all my own servicing and repairs, but for warranty sake, I just let Ford do it. I know they've lied to me about things in the past with my last car (dashcam was running and captured them saying things they then lied to me about). I never went back to that dealer after that. Looking at you Harrigan Ford.

I'll definitely take my own oil in too then. Just wonder what's recommended for the high kms I do. 5W-30 still ok to be using?
Yes. You would probably want to stick to the Ford specified 5W30 etc for warranty purposes. Royal Purple rep said that their's met and exceeded the spec. Talking about dash cams, on my second last service I had pulled out onto a main road after picking my car up and the entire dash cam landed in my lap. The dealer had disconnected the cables and left it unattached in its holder. They came back with it is a privacy matter. I could rant on endlessly.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

A very experienced, independent mechanic once told me to choose an oil and then stick with it for the rest of the engine's life. While many will say that oils like 0-20 or 5-30 are only chosen for fuel economy, and to a degree that is true, but it's also important for the VCT system.

Having said that, unless the car starts burning too much oil, then stick with the factory spec 5W-30 oil, especially if its in warranty. Ford dealers typically use Castrol Magnatec Professional -
BPXE-A3PBQT.pdf (castrol.com)

Otherwise, this is the Penrite alternative -
ENVIRO+ GF-S 5W-30 (FULL SYN) | Penrite Oil

the_scotsman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
A very experienced, independent mechanic once told me to choose an oil and then stick with it for the rest of the engine's life. While many will say that oils like 0-20 or 5-30 are only chosen for fuel economy, and to a degree that is true, but it's also important for the VCT system.

Having said that, unless the car starts burning too much oil, then stick with the factory spec 5W-30 oil, especially if its in warranty. Ford dealers typically use Castrol Magnatec Professional -
BPXE-A3PBQT.pdf (castrol.com)

Otherwise, this is the Penrite alternative -
ENVIRO+ GF-S 5W-30 (FULL SYN) | Penrite Oil
Thanks for that. I do tend to prefer Penrite, but I guess what they're using in't bad and could have been a lot worse. Probably not a huge amount of difference between them, but my OCD likes to stick to the things I like, like Penrite.

What's the diference between the Penrite 5W-30 and the one you linked, the Enviro stuff?

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Another vote here for supplying the dealer with my own oil and a Royal Purple HPS fan, for my daily run, tuned Ecoboost. Had the Service Manager tear strips off the mechanic on one occasion when he went to credit the oil, only to find my oil hadn't been used - 45 minute wait to 'fix' the issue (not the Mustang BTW)

Reactions: PKs

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks for that. I do tend to prefer Penrite, but I guess what they're using in't bad and could have been a lot worse. Probably not a huge amount of difference between them, but my OCD likes to stick to the things I like, like Penrite.

What's the diference between the Penrite 5W-30 and the one you linked, the Enviro stuff?
Penrite have a number of 5W-30 oils in their lineup, just be sure that the one you choose meets or exceeds Ford's specification. The oil I linked was the one that came up as the preferred choice on the Penrite oil selector website.
Sponsored