Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black Manual GT, S2000, 350z, MT-03
Sorry for the clickbait title, but it's actually what my Ford dealer recommended.

Because I did a track day at 1600km, I changed out my Mustang's factory oil at about 2000km and used 5w30 oil (Valvoline Synpower FE).

Went in for my complimentary 3000km service and was surprised to hear that they didn't do an oil change at that service. Service guy mentioned something about Ford using a 'run-in oil'. Perhaps this is oil with a special dye that shows leaks?

Anyways, that means the first scheduled oil change is at 15,000km (my next service).

Does this seem ok? I understand most synthetic oils do last 15,000km without much deterioration, but on this forum at least people are doing several oil changes in the first 15,000km!
Sponsored

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 SSZ Ute (current), 2017 Race Red GT (Current)
it really depends on how you drive it, mine is saying to do oil change at 15k but the car does have an oil life monitor which will advise, but it pretty much comes down to common sense and if you drive it hard then change every 3k if you want, if you drive it 100km highway only every day then you could go by the sensor/service intervals. but yeah, do what makes you feel right. i'm pretty sure they don't do an oil change at the 3k just to save money as it is "complimentary"

Bradek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT
I had same experience at 3k service and even had the oil life warning message pop up the day prior. Service manager said they just reset the clock and will change at next service! Strange i thought, why would they bother to have the warning then. agree they probably just trying to save money but should we worry about this?

RubyVert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Maggie the GT...
A guy who lives near me and has a DIB GT bought up a good point regarding the oil in the new cars.

They are built and run hot on their systems check before being left for a month outside whilst waiting to be shipped, then driven again onto the ship before another 6 week siesta during transportation - he was concerned about the condensation from the engine being hot twice before sitting for long periods.
Changed his oil at 2000 klm - my GT has 1400 klm now so thinking about doing the same.

Cheers

J

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
A guy who lives near me and has a DIB GT bought up a good point regarding the oil in the new cars.

They are built and run hot on their systems check before being left for a month outside whilst waiting to be shipped, then driven again onto the ship before another 6 week siesta during transportation - he was concerned about the condensation from the engine being hot twice before sitting for long periods.
Changed his oil at 2000 klm - my GT has 1400 klm now so thinking about doing the same.

Cheers

J
But won't the condensation be burnt off once you start running it hot again?

I thought the main issue would be the crap that gets generated in the initial wearing in of the engine?

BNE FASTBACK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback
Hey guys,

I thought the same. So kept checking my oil and got a mid Service oil change done at 7,500 kms with 5w30 as required. I have also had a JLT oil catch can since new too. It works well too.

Cheers Keith.
Sponsored