Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Strata

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
I have to say, by looks atleast, the newest version of the Tesla head unit looks really nice. Im currently looking to buy a new mustang to replace my current vehicle, and i'm considering this unit as an upgrade. Does anyone know, If i use it as a replacement on a base model radio head, Does it allow the use of dual zone climate and the drive modes? Also, would it retain the base Sync system, or does it bump up to Sync3?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Good choice, I'm not crazy about putting cheap chinese crap in my new car either. Waiting 30 seconds for a radio to boot up is ridiculous.

I have looked at the double din dash kits from Scosche and Metra and they both replace the stock hvac controls for some reason. I actually prefer simple manual dials for my hvac instead of digital. Anyone know if there Is a double din dash kit that preserves the stock hvac controls?
If you got an 8"-screen stock radio you can look at idatalink with their upcoming kit MFT1. You need the kit, a Maestro RR and an idatalink compatible radio which then retains the stock HVAC controls, steering wheel controls and all that stuff.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
I have the new tesla radio, I fell into a unique situation with my mustang purchase. I would highly recommend buying the premium package, and the pp1 is hard to beat.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the new tesla radio, I fell into a unique situation with my mustang purchase. I would highly recommend buying the premium package, and the pp1 is hard to beat.
In my case, I really didn't want the Premium or the upgraded stereo. I like the 6 speaker setup that is easier to upgrade, and I'm hoping the new PX6 from Phoenix will be worth it.

That said. I also didn't want the PP1. I personally think a Steeda suspension package is usually higher quality, and can be tuned for what you personally want. In my case, lowering, better dampers, and better progressive springs.

Sponsored

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I have to say, by looks atleast, the newest version of the Tesla head unit looks really nice. Im currently looking to buy a new mustang to replace my current vehicle, and i'm considering this unit as an upgrade. Does anyone know, If i use it as a replacement on a base model radio head, Does it allow the use of dual zone climate and the drive modes? Also, would it retain the base Sync system, or does it bump up to Sync3?
It shows dual zone climate, though I have no reason to believe it works. It is not automatic hvac which is a nice upgrade.

If you have drive modes, those might still work. But if you're running a tune (at least I was told) the tune is in normal mode, and depending on what you're tuned don't switch modes. I could be wrong on this. Steering modes do work. Traction off works.

The sync module is still in the car. So if you have sync 1 or 3 that's it.

I have sync 3 in my ecoboost flex, and the px6 in my mustang. Anything that sync 3 does the px6 will do, not necessarily out-of-the-box but with android apps/tasker/wifi.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
In my case, I really didn't want the Premium or the upgraded stereo. I like the 6 speaker setup that is easier to upgrade, and I'm hoping the new PX6 from Phoenix will be worth it.

That said. I also didn't want the PP1. I personally think a Steeda suspension package is usually higher quality, and can be tuned for what you personally want. In my case, lowering, better dampers, and better progressive springs.
I was ok with the base gt. I had a leather seat covers from a take off and a brake kit. I wanted to pick my own wheels, springs, exhaust, speakers etc. Imho The pp1 is worth it just for the brakes and the leather, if one is thinking about upgrading them.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
What does the performance package have to do with leather?

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
If you got an 8"-screen stock radio you can look at idatalink with their upcoming kit MFT1. You need the kit, a Maestro RR and an idatalink compatible radio which then retains the stock HVAC controls, steering wheel controls and all that stuff.
Darn it I got the 4" base radio so that won't work for me. I would be happy with the tomtop unit but it doesn't work with the 2019's. :(

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Darn it I got the 4" base radio so that won't work for me. I would be happy with the tomtop unit but it doesn't work with the 2019's. :(
That's why I may just go with the Phoenix unit, because it truly brings it into the modern era with a large vertical screen with all the tech goodies, so you basically get the best performance without buying a whole new receiver unit. I saw a Dodge Ram the other day, and it comes with a Tesla sized screen from the factory, so I think this is the way it's going for most vehicles not too far in the future.

Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
That's why I may just go with the Phoenix unit, because it truly brings it into the modern era with a large vertical screen with all the tech goodies, so you basically get the best performance without buying a whole new receiver unit. I saw a Dodge Ram the other day, and it comes with a Tesla sized screen from the factory, so I think this is the way it's going for most vehicles not too far in the future.
My concern is that it replaces critical components like the hvac controls and the start button with chinese components of unknown/questionable reliability.

That's why I like the Tomtop unit, it replaces only the stereo. If it breaks down, only your stereo doesn't work, no big deal. If the tesla unit breaks down, you can't turn on your heater and you might not even be able to start your car.

I am hoping that somebody comes up with a unit identical to the tomtop unit but that works with the 2019+ cars.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I was referring to this
We can both be right.