Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So, after pioneering the Tesla unit en masse, then moving on to an 8" unit, I caved in and ordered the Scoche Dash kit and a Kenwood Excelon double din with AA. Everything it MUCH faster and more reliable than it ever was with the Non-QC Chinese garbage that keeps flooding in. ...and it was $700 for everything. I would absolutely make this thread disappear if I could.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Good choice, I'm not crazy about putting cheap chinese crap in my new car either. Waiting 30 seconds for a radio to boot up is ridiculous.

I have looked at the double din dash kits from Scosche and Metra and they both replace the stock hvac controls for some reason. I actually prefer simple manual dials for my hvac instead of digital. Anyone know if there Is a double din dash kit that preserves the stock hvac controls?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good choice, I'm not crazy about putting cheap chinese crap in my new car either. Waiting 30 seconds for a radio to boot up is ridiculous.

I have looked at the double din dash kits from Scosche and Metra and they both replace the stock hvac controls for some reason. I actually prefer simple manual dials for my hvac instead of digital. Anyone know if there Is a double din dash kit that preserves the stock hvac controls?
I suppose if you could find just a bezel unit from someone who pulled a 8" sync unit, then you could get some brackets off Ebay to fashion something. Otherwise, I know of nothing like that. I actually like the manual hvac controls as well. I would love it if the wide-screen 10.2" Seicane unit had a fast boot.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Metra doesn't make a kit for 18+ and has none in production. Which is disappointing cause their f150 kit is very nice. The scosche unit has had mixed reviews, and as well as nearly all electronics are all made in....cough cough....China...

The boot time on the new model is the same as the oem. Sync is retained, the oem radio is passed thru. Full cold boot is not instantaneous but even at a cold boot sync usb/phone calls/reverse camera still work. So if your listening to usb music when you exit, that same playlist will start as fast as oem (cause it is oem) when you return.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Metra doesn't make a kit for 18+ and has none in production. Which is disappointing cause their f150 kit is very nice. The scosche unit has had mixed reviews, and as well as nearly all electronics are all made in....cough cough....China...

The boot time on the new model is the same as the oem. Sync is retained, the oem radio is passed thru. Full cold boot is not instantaneous but even at a cold boot sync usb/phone calls/reverse camera still work. So if your listening to usb music when you exit, that same playlist will start as fast as oem (cause it is oem) when you return.
The fact that it retains the factory radio brain and Sync is why it works as well as it does. Most of our cars electronics are made in China anyway. The one thing I like about the vertical layout is when I use Maps. Nav on that full screen looks sick.

Has your replacement unit made it through customs yet?

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I installed on Monday drove around Tuesday, removed heated the unit to 140 for 6 hours as a test. Reinstalled wed night, everything working fine all day.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
So far so good. I use Sync pass thru for phone, and usb music. I have a mobile hotspot for Amazon music/Pandora/spotify. I use tomtom go for nav. Still lots to figure out, I'm trying to figure out how to customize themes. Rather than I different launcher.

Grip so far, in reverse the units music pauses though Sync music would still play. I'm sure there's a setting to change that, it's hasn't bothered me enough to figure out.
20190903_071700.jpg

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So far so good. I use Sync pass thru for phone, and usb music. I have a mobile hotspot for Amazon music/Pandora/spotify. I use tomtom go for nav. Still lots to figure out, I'm trying to figure out how to customize themes. Rather than I different launcher.

Grip so far, in reverse the units music pauses though Sync music would still play. I'm sure there's a setting to change that, it's hasn't bothered me enough to figure out.
20190903_071700.jpg
OK, i got a question concerning ease of use for the USB music....

1. When you play USB music files off a thumb drive or SSD, does the software layout show a listing of albums or artists that you can scroll through like on a cell phone, then just tap it to play?

I ask this, because the OEM system takes my eyes away from driving quite a bit because the buttons select one album at a time, and songs are always jumbled on the list. It's quite annoying.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
OK, i got a question concerning ease of use for the USB music....

1. When you play USB music files off a thumb drive or SSD, does the software layout show a listing of albums or artists that you can scroll through like on a cell phone, then just tap it to play?

I ask this, because the OEM system takes my eyes away from driving quite a bit because the buttons select one album at a time, and songs are always jumbled on the list. It's quite annoying.
There are 2 ways to connect a usb, either via sync in the factory locations or using the units usb/music player. Using sync you can still see all that info album/artist etc. Though without physical buttons it's more cumbersome than oem. I've been using DoubleTwist with iTunes to make playlists for sync and just use the voice commands for everything since sync came out. I haven't used a usb with the unit yet, I'll check.

For fm/am using sync it is a touch screen button to switch from fm/fm2/am/am2.

I don't think the way music is displayed or scrolled thru is the strong point of these units. Aside with h-pipe, long tubes and loudmouths it's not a great listening room!

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There are 2 ways to connect a usb, either via sync in the factory locations or using the units usb/music player. Using sync you can still see all that info album/artist etc. Though without physical buttons it's more cumbersome than oem. I've been using DoubleTwist with iTunes to make playlists for sync and just use the voice commands for everything since sync came out. I haven't used a usb with the unit yet, I'll check.

For fm/am using sync it is a touch screen button to switch from fm/fm2/am/am2.

I don't think the way music is displayed or scrolled thru is the strong point of these units. Aside with h-pipe, long tubes and loudmouths it's not a great listening room!
My wifes Subaru has a basic 6" touchscreen setup, and I actually like it a lot. It comes up and shows the list of all albums or artists in alphabetical order on a list, and you can just scroll down like on a cell phone, or use the steering wheel buttons to navigate up and down, and tap what you want to hear. It's quite nice and intuitive to use. The Ford setup won't even let use use the steering wheel buttons to navigate. It's really cheesy, imo.
I was hoping this system did the same. I have well over 200 CD's I have ripped over the years onto my USB drive to listen to. But for some reason, based on what you say, this setup doesn't sound too promising.

Unless I just fork out a few bucks and use the the extra USB connectors for my music, and spend a few bucks to download a really good Android music player, like Poweramp. Then, maybe.....

Last edited:

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
My wifes Subaru has a basic 6" touchscreen setup, and I actually like it a lot. It comes up and shows the list of all albums or artists in alphabetical order on a list, and you can just scroll down like on a cell phone, or use the steering wheel buttons to navigate up and down, and tap what you want to hear. It's quite nice and intuitive to use. The Ford setup won't even let use use the steering wheel buttons to navigate. It's really cheesy, imo.
I was hoping this system did the same. I have well over 200 CD's I have ripped over the years onto my USB drive to listen to. But for some reason, based on what you say, this setup doesn't sound too promising.

Unless I just fork out a few bucks and use the the extra USB connectors for my music, and spend a few bucks to download a really good Android music player, like Poweramp. Then, maybe.....

I played around with it. Blue screen is factory sync system, grey screen is the radio. The usb attached to the grey screen was just laying around, each album was it's own folder.

The factory dsp is pretty good with quality files after you remove the factory eq cuts with forscan.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I played around with it. Blue screen is factory sync system, grey screen is the radio. The usb attached to the grey screen was just laying around, each album was it's own folder.

The factory dsp is pretty good with quality files after you remove the factory eq cuts with forscan.
Ah, I see now. The SYNC setup looks to operate pretty much the same, and even has screen buttons for selecting where on the artist list to narrow it down in the alphabet.

Is there any way to get the radio to show station identification and song title, like the OEM radio does?

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Ah, I see now. The SYNC setup looks to operate pretty much the same, and even has screen buttons for selecting where on the artist list to narrow it down in the alphabet.

Is there any way to get the radio to show station identification and song title, like the OEM radio does?
Not that I can tell. I don't recall that my oem radio showed the song title
Sponsored