Official 2.3L Ecoboost Thread

SouthernCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 3.7 TT
Well MPT tuning announced on there facebook page they will be purchasing the 15 Mustang EB4 with performance pack.
So tuning will not be an issue, no worries there.

Almost makes me want to purchase one myself, but I have to much money in my car and its half way paid off. I'd be better off just going FI on the ole 3.7 V6. But if I was stock or in the market for a Stang I'd be all over the new EB4.

I had a GM LNF 2.0 4 cylinder eco turbo powered car that was rated 260 hp 265 tq from the factory. With simple bolts ons and tune I was 300 whp / 320 wtq, with an upgraded factory stage 2 turbo, retune, clutch I got up to 340 whp /360 wtq. I went from 260 tq/265wtq to 340 whp/ 360 wtq without even cracking the engine open.

If ford builds a half way strong engine and there are tuners and aftermarket, there should be no reason not to be able to hit 400 whp in the 2.3 EB 4
Sponsored

M.Senger

Threads
Reaction score
Welcome there SouthernCyclone.

Ford Focus RS had 2.5 L EcoBoost engine with 305HP. That engine with just ecu tune gave 350 HP. Few intake/exhaust mods + ecu and people were able to hit 400 HP. In power we trust, brother.

MustangWill

Threads
Reaction score
That's a relief because it seems like it took forever to get the SHO and EB F-150 tuned after they came out.

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
Welcome there SouthernCyclone.

Ford Focus RS had 2.5 L EcoBoost engine with 305HP. That engine with just ecu tune gave 350 HP. Few intake/exhaust mods + ecu and people were able to hit 400 HP. In power we trust, brother.
The engine in the RS was completely different and not an Ecoboost. It was a Volvo based 5 pot engine.

Sponsored

nyyankees2589

Threads
Reaction score
Does anyone else have any concern or hesitation about this ecoboost just based on the fact that its unproven? By unproven I mean, im the kind of person whos going to do my due diligence when making large purchase. Ill read reviews and get a general concensus before leaping in and making a choice. At this point in the game, Ford hasnt allowed anyone to drive the car aside from a few test runs in the passenger seat. With the 5.0 a proven beast, would anyone else here be reserved and cautious on the 2.3, or do we trust Ford on this one and go for it?

Please all opinions help?

MustangWill

Threads
Reaction score
For me, I would purchase the EB even though it's unproven. Ford has proven the car on their own terms during research and development. I'm certain the motor has thousands upon thousands of hours of testing.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Does anyone else have any concern or hesitation about this ecoboost just based on the fact that its unproven? By unproven I mean, im the kind of person whos going to do my due diligence when making large purchase. Ill read reviews and get a general concensus before leaping in and making a choice. At this point in the game, Ford hasnt allowed anyone to drive the car aside from a few test runs in the passenger seat. With the 5.0 a proven beast, would anyone else here be reserved and cautious on the 2.3, or do we trust Ford on this one and go for it?

Please all opinions help?
Unproven? Ford has been building four-cylinder Ecoboost engines since the 2.0 EB showed up in the 2008 Ford Explorer America Concept and the 1.6EB appeared in the 2009 Lincoln C Concept. As of September of 2013, Ford had built 2 Million EcoBoost Engines.

These engines have been raced in the British Formula Ford Championship and for the past couple of seasons in the World Rally Championship series.

The 2.3EB does have some unique features, but the basic engine architecture is common to all Ecoboost Fours.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Unproven? Ford has been building four-cylinder Ecoboost engines since the 2.0 EB showed up in the 2008 Ford Explorer America Concept and the 1.6EB appeared in the 2009 Lincoln C Concept. As of September of 2013, Ford had built 2 Million EcoBoost Engines.

These engines have been raced in the British Formula Ford Championship and for the past couple of seasons in the World Rally Championship series.

The 2.3EB does have some unique features, but the basic engine architecture is common to all Ecoboost Fours.

+1, just because it's new to the Mustang doesn't mean it's a new engine.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
So I don't remember where I saw it, but is there a possible 2.7 coming to the 4 cylinder later this year?

Also, what do you think the odds are that they are slating one of the 2.7 or 3.5 EB V6 to the Mustang?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
So I don't remember where I saw it, but is there a possible 2.7 coming to the 4 cylinder later this year?
No

Also, what do you think the odds are that they are slating one of the 2.7 or 3.5 EB V6 to the Mustang?
Maybe in 2017 when the new gearboxes come, but definitely not any sooner. They don't homologate car/engine combinations just to drop them within a year. The 2.3 EB will stay no matter what and Ford replacing the current V6 or all together dropping it will probably depend on how sales figures turn out now the 2.3 EB is here.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
No

Maybe in 2017 when the new gearboxes come, but definitely not any sooner. They don't homologate car/engine combinations just to drop them within a year. The 2.3 EB will stay no matter what and Ford replacing the current V6 or all together dropping it will probably depend on how sales figures turn out now the 2.3 EB is here.
Thanks Eric...just makes my purchase of a EB more solidified now. Didn't want to get one and then they drop a better EB later this year or the V6 EB next year.

86GT

Threads
Reaction score

The 2.7 is a six cylinder that will be in the F-150. I won't be surprised if it shows up with 350+ hp after the next Camaro comes out.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The 2.7 is a six cylinder that will be in the F-150. I won't be surprised if it shows up with 350+ hp after the next Camaro comes out.
Yah I wouldn't be surprised either...maybe in 2016-17.
Sponsored