Sponsored

Of these 3 mods, which one would you do?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Cams and CJ then add a centri, forget the OPG's.
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
as much as what i wanna spend your money I gotta say this...
if you can't make up your mind don't do anything you don't have to.
just wait until what you oughta do is clear.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I didn't see mention of any sort of cradle lockout in the have list, so....

Cheap and easy, makes a ton of difference. More so once you put down some extra power.

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
New CJ and the supporting mods for that would be my recommendation. It will look great and perform really great. Snag a ported CJ from somewhere, TJ 69, and a PMAS intake you'll be set. if you can swing it toss some cams in it as well

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Stock cams are in 1k and 1200hp coyotes. Cj is useless for a street car and n02 is not awesome overall.

Get another 4k, and go boosted.

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
There is a bunch of useless mods you mention….

no cai, keep oem box with better filter… no need for another intake manifold. Go with cat deletes like maks… lt will only give you like 7-10 hp more and the labor is much more expensive….

keep oem wheels, get better tires… the difference will be a lot…

get the steeda sub frame brace and their vertical links… put the power on the ground…

get a custom tune and go e85

but at the end… you will want to go with F/I… because I already did all the previous shit and now i want the F/i… so, plan ahead…

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Get the CJ manifold then next mod is FI. You will smile when you blow past other FI mustangs. Add the cams and go even faster.

Only draw back to the above is the MT trans you have. I don't know how well it will shift at 8000+ RPM.

Dapepper9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
I'm team CJ then start saving for boost. Really easy pieces to off-load later and will make a huge difference in the time being

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think you should wait and find out what the S650 intake can do for you. I expect it will be an improvement if it can be fitted to the older cars. And the twin intakes will look cool as well.

I like your ideas for mods, though. I always think the NA mods seem more fun and I don't like FI that much.

What I was considering doing for higher power NA mods was to find a junkyard Coyote and build the engine from the bottom up for more power and to handle more revs. I don't know if I'll end up doing it or not, but I would rather have my stock engine as the spare and then swap in the higher power version. That way if I end up having a problem I already have a backup. I won't be down for too long waiting to build a replacement.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
So it looks like none of the manifolds they tested were an improvement over the stock Gen III Coyote.
You don't see very well do you? The CJ blows them all away if HP is what you are after. Another thing about these "manifold shootouts" is they are based off a 2018 manifold tune. The CJ has higher AVG power from 6000 to 8000 RPM where they stopped the test.

Below 6000 RPM the CJ only gives up power from 4500 to 5100 RPM
In the normal street ranges they are equal. Add a good tune with the CJ and smile for days.

Intake:Peak HP:Peak TQ:Av. HP:Av. TQ:PN:
2018549.8472.1438.3441.5JR3Z-9424-A
Cobra Jet545.5468.7466.8432.1M-9424-M50CJA
Boss 302531.2461.0430.0433.7M-9424-M50BR

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
A lot of people are putting out opinions on here...

For reference, I had a FBO gen 2 coyote. I am now building a gen 3 coyote short block, gen 2 heads, cams, ported 18 intake (for now, CJ in future most likely), headers, opg, machined heads for higher compression, and some other internal supporting mods.

This is a perfect time to decide on your goals.

If your goals are to go fast. ESS supercharger kit. <$5k for the base kit. $300 OPG and cranksprocket with about $100 in bolts and supplies to get it done (I did it at home with almost no car knowledge). You can run pump gas or spend some more to get a boost a pump and run e85. From there you can steadily upgrade the fuel system, head units, and pulley, to get more power.

If you really want an all-out N/A car, then cobra jet, cams, and opg. If you really want to buy some upgraded timing chains and new tensioners. You could also buy billet goodies like chain guides but it isn't necessary.

A full cobra jet setup is expensive especially when you consider the new throttle body (those prices are ridiculous) and the new intake piping. Cams are also almost $2k (I got mine used for $1,200). The cam, cj, and opg will cost you the same as the cheapest ESS option, but the ESS option will make 50whp-100whp more.

Ignore the people who say the CJ doesn't do anything. It is the best intake for the coyote (except maybe the insanely expensive MMR one, although I think that one fits under the hood), and will shine even more so if you cam the car. You will make flat power from ~7,200 - ~8000+, something the ported 18 can't. But it is stupid expensive for not that much of a gain.

Another thing to think about is resale. You can easily sell a used cobra jet, and can probably sell the used cams.

I vote FI, but if you are going to go N/A, go all out. Also I don't like nitrous on the street, seems like such a hassle to manage and get it refilled. If you have $10k I say twin turbos, I like turbos tho. But if you want to stick to that $5k range, ESS kit all day.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
There is a bunch of useless mods you mention….

no cai, keep oem box with better filter… no need for another intake manifold. Go with cat deletes like maks… lt will only give you like 7-10 hp more and the labor is much more expensive….

keep oem wheels, get better tires… the difference will be a lot…

get the steeda sub frame brace and their vertical links… put the power on the ground…

get a custom tune and go e85

but at the end… you will want to go with F/I… because I already did all the previous shit and now i want the F/i… so, plan ahead…
Watch some races with cammed cobra jet mustangs. They put out some serious work. It is a lot of costs though, and you can pick up a cheap supercharger kit like ESS for the same cost and make more hp.

Even a ported 18-intake manifold will give good power gains.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Stock cams are in 1k and 1200hp coyotes. Cj is useless for a street car and n02 is not awesome overall.

Get another 4k, and go boosted.
Stock cams don't give as much power as upgraded cams... No one is saying you can't run stock cams in high boost applications.

Cj is great for the street, if you are racing on the street, or even revving the car out. It will make more power than other manifolds and will have a nice flat hp curve from ~7k - ~8k rpm. It will also help a lot with cams.

And OP doesn't need another $4k for boost...
Sponsored