OEM Batteries are junk

Bamastangbham

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffery
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Yes mine 19 bullitt was doing some really odd things when it was going out about 4 months ago sometimes it would crank and sometimes it would not morning time was fine i would drive to work and it would not crank. I bought a gel battery diehard and its worked great crazy how most batteries only have a 2 year life now the one i bought was 3 years and was more expensive but yeah wanted to share with everyone.
Sponsored

Bamastangbham

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffery
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Well mine just bit dust on my 19 bullitt wow what did you replace it wit

My 19 bullitt has setting In the cluster that you can silence the alarm with key fob in which the lights flash instead of honk. Seems like I started having trouble with mine when I cut horn off in the sitting. Needless to say my battery just bit dust and wow batteries is not like they use to be
Thats excatly when mine went out

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I may be one of the very few who find the OEM battery and the BMS strategy perfectly fine. :blush:
1.5 years and 9k miles down the line, the stock battery still reads fine on the tester. State of health 100%, internal resistance 3.5mĪ©. The open voltage after a night's rest (but having been driven the day before) is 12.72V.
I've also measured the parasitic draw. Ford says in the service manual that, depending on the installed features, it should be between 25 and 50mA. Mine is 30mA. This should in theory allow for two months until the state of charge drops to 25%. At 25% SOC (i.e. 12.0V) a healthy battery should still be able to start the car.
Of course, there's also the natural discharge over time that must be accounted for, so in real life you may not get two full months, but one month should be easily achievable. If the battery is dead after one week, then something isn't right. That's neither normal nor acceptable.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
I may be one of the very few who find the OEM battery and the BMS strategy perfectly fine. :blush:
1.5 years and 9k miles down the line, the stock battery still reads fine on the tester. State of health 100%, internal resistance 3.5mĪ©. The open voltage after a night's rest (but having been driven the day before) is 12.72V.
I've also measured the parasitic draw. Ford says in the service manual that, depending on the installed features, it should be between 25 and 50mA. Mine is 30mA. This should in theory allow for two months until the state of charge drops to 25%. At 25% SOC (i.e. 12.0V) a healthy battery should still be able to start the car.
Of course, there's also the natural discharge over time that must be accounted for, so in real life you may not get two full months, but one month should be easily achievable. If the battery is dead after one week, then something isn't right. That's neither normal nor acceptable.
Mine is still going strong after 5 years. Too bad all my batteries have not been this good.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I have two dead cells in my 19 Mustang GT, so I am going to buy a Duralast 96R EFB Battery to see how long it last.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Locking the car shuts everything down? I park in my garage with the key in it, probably a no no.

I know 2014 BMW's you have to get the key far and away from the car or it will run the battery out

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Locking the car shuts everything down? I park in my garage with the key in it, probably a no no.

I know 2014 BMW's you have to get the key far and away from the car or it will run the battery out
I have not 100% verified, but have been told before if you leave the fob in the vehicle if it's a push button start it will randomly wake things up with it left in the vehicle since it recognizes it when you get close to open a door per say that has the nifty no touch open or whatever it's called that has escaped me.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I have not 100% verified, but have been told before if you leave the fob in the vehicle if it's a push button start it will randomly wake things up with it left in the vehicle since it recognizes it when you get close to open a door per say that has the nifty no touch open or whatever it's called that has escaped me.
Thats how the bmw works. When the fob is in range its waking up

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I still have the OEM battery in my 2015 Focus SE with 75K miles on it...I just probably jinxed it.

Update, my battery just finally died on my 2015 Focus after 6 years and 78K miles.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Thats how the bmw works. When the fob is in range its waking up

Correct, in BMWs don't ever leave the keys over night in the car. It can drain the battery. Ask me how I know...err.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine is still going strong after 5 years.
Update, my battery just finally died on my 2015 Focus after 6 years and 78K miles.
The stock battery in my wife's Kuga also died after six years. In my first Mondeo they discovered it was a bit weak after five years and replaced it, though it could have probably lasted one more year easily. I don't know about my second Mondeo, as I sold it after three years and the battery was still strong.
I do believe that the reason they last so long these days is the BMS. The BMS is really smart and keeps the battery healthy for a longer time.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
There have also been a number of internal improvements that will aid plate longevity and therefore battery life.

I know it's 'just lead acid', but its still subject to small incremental improvements :like:

WD :like:

ps : I got nine years from my daily driven Kia battery :like:

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
Mine is going on 7 years now. I only drive it in the spring and summer. It is attached to a tender most of the time. It might be time to replace it now.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Mine is going on 7 years now. I only drive it in the spring and summer. It is attached to a tender most of the time. It might be time to replace it now.
I have a 2016. Cleaned off a little corrosion on the negative terminal this weekend, but the battery tested fine.
Sponsored