BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I love this thread. My 2022 convertible is on order and I sure wish it would get scheduled for production.
I kept waiting and waiting for my order to be scheduled, and I finally gave up and got one that was in-stock. It was a new 2021, not my first color choice but it had the all-important third pedal and no options that I didn't want, so I bought it. Life is short.

... are there any little nuances like these that still exist with convertibles that would make me regret getting one over a well insulated, quiet hard top?
I had a 2016 GT coupe and replaced it with a 2020 convertible. The convertible is significantly louder inside than the coupe was.
I had a 2020 coupe and although the convertible is louder, especially the exhaust sound (GT) but road noise is not significantly worse, and I do hear a bit more ambient noise (like other cars as I pass them) but it's nothing that should stop anyone from buying one of these. Of course, the coupe is no Lexus as far as quiet goes, so the bar isn't that high...

And yes, the rear window is glass.
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I had a 2016 GT coupe and replaced it with a 2020 convertible. The convertible is significantly louder inside than the coupe was.
I defer to the opinion of the man who has owned both. That said, I don't find my car to be particularly noisy inside with the top up. Down, well, that's just part of the fun.

dougpaw57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
I defer to the opinion of the man who has owned both. That said, I don't find my car to be particularly noisy inside with the top up. Down, well, that's just part of the fun.
I'm not complaining about the noise, I had a 2012 Mustang convertible, so I knew what I was getting into. The biggest noise seems to be 18-wheelers next to the car, that's where I notice the biggest difference between the coupe and convertible.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I was never really a fan of the S550 convertible, when I was looking for mine last summer, my wife really wanted us to get a convertible, but I just couldn't find one I liked. I think my bias towards them is how they look with the top up, it just kills the body lines for me. Now, with that said I got a coupe last summer and my wife ended up ordering a convertible. Mine is a run of the mill GT Performance Pack, her car may end up being a little more desirable down the road due to lower production numbers of the HPP cars, especially in the convertible. My car has had the Roush Phase 2 installed and a bunch of other modifications, her car will remain pretty much stock...gives us the best of both worlds, and I must admit after driving her car, I like the feel of it better than my GT, I like how smooth it is, how it seems to handle better, and dropping the top on a warn day or night it is just an awesome feeling. 99.9% of the time the top is down, its not a daily so it normally sits in the garage just waiting to go out for a spin!
cars.jpg
Excellent color choices.... mine is not a daily driver, only fun drives and track days both with the top down!

IMG_6165.jpg

289767173_5213494212073788_8027946809032582844_n.jpg

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Excellent color choices.... mine is not a daily driver, only fun drives and track days both with the top down

289767173_5213494212073788_8027946809032582844_n.jpg
Lucky you. All the tracks around here require convertibles to have a roll bar.

I like the stripes - they appear to be glossy rather than flat black. OE or aftermarket?

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Lucky you. All the tracks around here require convertibles to have a roll bar.

I like the stripes - they appear to be glossy rather than flat black. OE or aftermarket?
I guess the photo doesn't show it but I had to add a roll bar, it's a Watson 4 point bar that can be removed and reinstalled each "season". The stripes are OEM and glossy.

289535585_5213464485410094_7319195696492173612_n.jpg

gokart29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT convertible 6-spd manual
Always have loved convertibles. We had an '86 GT convertible (first year of fuel injection) before kids and have now had an S550 GT convertible for about a year now (post kids moving away). My wife and I would love to keep the top down all the time but, the Missouri weather doesn't really allow for that as much a we like to drive it. Taught my wife to drive a stick in college and we wouldn't have it any other way!

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Growing up in Florida, I have never not had a convertible and prefer them to any other car. I hate being enclosed in a car unless its raining. This current GT convertible is my 15th convertible with 2 T-tops and 2 Targa-tops as well. I don't intend to ever not have a convertible.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Growing up in Florida, I have never not had a convertible and prefer them to any other car. I hate being enclosed in a car unless its raining. This current GT convertible is my 15th convertible with 2 T-tops and 2 Targa-tops as well. I don't intend to ever not have a convertible.
I live in south Florida and used to drive a Mustang Vert. The only time I drove with the top down was either in the evening or during winter months..it's just effen hot here. The sun will fry you up.
But I miss my Vert when going to Lowes or Home Depot! Used to haul all kinds of things with the top down. Can't do that anymore. Some really nice looking cars in this thread! :like:

My old vert I traded in.
IMG_20201004_171432935_2.jpg

Sponsored

moosestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Vert
I live in south Florida and used to drive a Mustang Vert. The only time I drove with the top down was either in the evening or during winter months..it's just effen hot here. The sun will fry you up.
But I miss my Vert when going to Lowes or Home Depot! Used to haul all kinds of things with the top down. Can't do that anymore. Some really nice looking cars in this thread! :like:
I agree with you on both counts. I live in the Keys and always get a laugh from the tourists who rent convertibles, then drive around town mid day with the top down, in the blazing sun. We wait till evening to drop the top and catch the sunset near seven mile bridge.

Also, the Christmas tree is real easy to get in the car with the top down!

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Always have loved convertibles. We had an '86 GT convertible (first year of fuel injection) before kids and have now had an S550 GT convertible for about a year now (post kids moving away). My wife and I would love to keep the top down all the time but, the Missouri weather doesn't really allow for that as much a we like to drive it. Taught my wife to drive a stick in college and we wouldn't have it any other way!
Amen!

RJ

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

My old vert I traded in.
IMG_20201004_171432935_2.jpg
Yep. When I lived in Miami, I had a Vette roadster. As you say, from around 8pm to 9am is top down time (outside of winter).

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I agree with you on both counts. I live in the Keys and always get a laugh from the tourists who rent convertibles, then drive around town mid day with the top down, in the blazing sun. We wait till evening to drop the top and catch the sunset near seven mile bridge.

Also, the Christmas tree is real easy to get in the car with the top down!
In Northwest Ohio, my favorite temperatures for driving with the top down are 75 degrees with the sun on me or 85 degrees after the sun goes down. I am always amazed at the number of people who know my car and will say to me, "What a great day for a convertible!" when it's almost 100 degrees! I always reply, "No. This is why convertibles still come with air conditioners."

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2017 GT Vert. Really loved the top down experience, but could only enjoy it for a portion of the season here in WI. I really did not like the experience with the top up. THe A pillars were wide along with the small rear window made visibility a challenge. If I had the cash and storage space I would own a vert just for those gloriously warm summer days and nights.
Sponsored