Odd Break Wear?

Serenity24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
Hey guys I'm looking for some input. Just got my 2017 Ecoboost Vert back from the dealer after getting some work done. I asked them to check my brakes because I was starting to get some squeeking. They said I need a rear brake job and that the pads were 3mm. I decided I was gonna do it myself because a brake job is pretty easy. Well I took off the pads and im a little stumped. The outer edges on the left and right are worn down but not the center. Is this normal and im being a total noob or is this not right? Any input would be greatly appreciated. As far as info on my car its a 2017 Ecoboost Convertible with 56,000 miles and without the performance package. This is the only used car I've ever bought. I only buy new but it was a rental fleet car and i got a really good deal and I figured with an extended warranty I could handle any problems it threw my way. Sorry if I'm being a total noob and this is perfectly normal break wear.
20200708_085030.jpg
20200708_085037.jpg
20200708_085055.jpg
Sponsored

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
What condition are your rotors in? Any pics of those?

OP
OP
Serenity24

Serenity24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Rotors seem to be ok was gonna have them machined regardless but ill attach some pics. They're smooth with no gouges from what I can tell.
20200708_091438.jpg
20200708_091429.jpg

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I just checked my pads last weekend for wear and they look like yours. I don't think its wear on the outer edges but an oddly shaped pad. Mine looked similar but with less wear to the portion of the pad that makes contact with the rotor. I was surprised that the contact patch doesn't go the full length of the pad. The brembo pads look the same. I have a pp1 car.

OP
OP
Serenity24

Serenity24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input!!

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Hey guys I'm looking for some input. Just got my 2017 Ecoboost Vert back from the dealer after getting some work done. I asked them to check my brakes because I was starting to get some squeeking. They said I need a rear brake job and that the pads were 3mm. I decided I was gonna do it myself because a brake job is pretty easy. Well I took off the pads and im a little stumped. The outer edges on the left and right are worn down but not the center. Is this normal and im being a total noob or is this not right? Any input would be greatly appreciated. As far as info on my car its a 2017 Ecoboost Convertible with 56,000 miles and without the performance package. This is the only used car I've ever bought. I only buy new but it was a rental fleet car and i got a really good deal and I figured with an extended warranty I could handle any problems it threw my way. Sorry if I'm being a total noob and this is perfectly normal break wear.
20200708_085030.jpg
20200708_085037.jpg
20200708_085055.jpg

Correct to the above, that the outer edges have purposely less material than the centre of the pad - that's how the OEM pad is for this application.
However, in the last picture you attached with the pad lying on its side, it shows tapered pad wear, which is a form of uneven pad wear. This could indicate the sliders are somewhat seized, or the abuttment clip(s) [where the brake pad "ear" rests on] could also be causing the pad to stick as well.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm on side with Rapid Red, in that rotors are "relatively" inexpensive in the big picture, that I also prefer changing them out for new, as opposed to resurfacing/turning them.

Although this process allows you to have a smooth surface for the new pads, the downside is that it will just be more prone to warping; A rotor is essentially a heat sink. So, by shaving off a light layer of metal to expose a new finish, what also happens is you are also reducing the amount of material that would otherwise be absorbing the heat / thermal energy, thereby increasing the likelihood of warping.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on side with Rapid Red, in that rotors are "relatively" inexpensive in the big picture, that I also prefer changing them out for new, as opposed to resurfacing/turning them.

Although this process allows you to have a smooth surface for the new pads, the downside is that it will just be more prone to warping; A rotor is essentially a heat sink. So, by shaving off a light layer of metal to expose a new finish, what also happens is you are also reducing the amount of material that would otherwise be absorbing the heat / thermal energy, thereby increasing the likelihood of warping.

Deleted my post cause you explained the uneven wear better & simpler then I had.

OP take cmxPPL219 at his word, knows what he is talking about

Pep

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The factory pads are just tapered like that.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Deleted my post cause you explained the uneven wear better & simpler then I had.

OP take cmxPPL219 at his word, knows what he is talking about

Pep
Haha you actually did a fine job explaining it as well imo - I understood it :like:

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
For Reference, these are the applicable OEM Ford Motorcraft replacement pads for models with that size rear rotor. (Other model and trim combos like Premium/ GT Perf Pkg etc., have a different rear vented rotor and pad / caliper, although upon close inspection, all versions look the same, they're not)
Notice how:
-They have cut/chamfered friction material ends
-They are not tapered when new (compared to the used pads posted by OP)

So, taking out a tapered pad is indicative of something not right - not just for this application, but generally speaking.

brake pads.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I am curious why they are shaped like this. It looks as though once you wear the pads down beyond the chamfered area you end up with even more pad/rotor contact. The wear indicator would still be far from indicating pad replacement.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase