Sponsored

OBDLink MX+

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So I bought this devise. Now what? Do I use the app they promote OBDLink or another app? In my research I see Forscan referred to often but in the App Store it has a horrible rating and only shows 83 downloads. How can that even be possible??
My Mustang isn’t throwing any codes but my suburban has and I hope this gadget can do double duty for both vehicles. I just need to figure out how to use it.

image.jpg
Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I use it with the app they recommend. OBDLink. I mainly use it to pull any DTC's and also to monitor my IAT2's when I go to the drag strip.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Use it all the time, their own app seems to work best for me. Data logging, live dasboads, reading and resetting codes all worked great so far. Never tried forscan and don't intend to. I use old phone with mount to keep an eye on key data points when driving. The only one I couldn't figure oit is how to get oil temp PID

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So I bought this devise. Now what? Do I use the app they promote OBDLink or another app? In my research I see Forscan referred to often but in the App Store it has a horrible rating and only shows 83 downloads. How can that even be possible??
My Mustang isn’t throwing any codes but my suburban has and I hope this gadget can do double duty for both vehicles. I just need to figure out how to use it.
What do you want exactly want to do ? There is bunch of apps that could use it. Forscan can reprogram BCM. OBDLink app can read and reset the codes (which Forscan can obviously do too).

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
I am new in this also. Have been seeing some tutorials in Youtube to learn on the road.

I already reset an message of Gas Lid error. Reset it and the Check Engine haven't come back.

Next change i want to do is see if i can turn on the Fog Lights with the High Beam Lights and the Equalizer change.

If somebody can give me insight i will appreciate it. Hope OP benefits of my suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MX+ and have used it for reading/clearing codes on multiple vehicles. I have also used it to look at data points on a dashboard but I switched to the Torque Pro app for data logging and live gauge dashboard.

I read about all the limitations and bad reviews of the forescan Android app so I never tried it. Seems the windows app is the way to go there but you would need a different obdii adapter that connects to a Windows computer via USB.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I have a vLinker MC+ clone and use it with Forscan Lite, I am happy with it.

You can download a demo version to check compatibility with your dongle and to try it out there: https://forscan.org/download/FORScanDemo1.5.16.apk

Because they keep having problems with the Playstore, they now also offer a license without GooglePlay: https://store.payproglobal.com/checkout?products[1][id]=81300

I bought it to have it with me all the time, the dongle is in the glove box.
At home I also have the possibility to use ForScan (Lite) with cable dongle under Windows.

Forscan can reprogram BCM.
Not the Apple or Android app which is called ForScan Lite / Viewer, you can only reprogram with the Windows Version (which is called ForScan (Lite) and which needs a different dongle for my understanding).
https://forscan.org/comparsion.html

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Not the Apple or Android app which is called ForScan Lite / Viewer, you can only reprogram with the Windows Version (which is called ForScan (Lite) and which needs a different dongle for my understanding).
https://forscan.org/comparsion.html
Yeah, I know, I reprogrammed BCM with it multiple times. Doesn't change the fact that to answer OPs question he needs to know what he wants to do. Having OBD reader just in case makes sense too.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
I have an OBDLink MX that I primarily bought to use with an app on my phone to reset the service light on my BMW motorcycle. Since then I've traded the BMW in, but still have used it to read/reset codes on my wife's Toyota, and my Bronco and Mustang.

It's a handy tool, but as kz has said, unless you tell us what you want to accomplish, it's pretty much impossible to tell you what app to use.

OP
OP
Prodigal

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have an OBDLink MX that I primarily bought to use with an app on my phone to reset the service light on my BMW motorcycle. Since then I've traded the BMW in, but still have used it to read/reset codes on my wife's Toyota, and my Bronco and Mustang.

It's a handy tool, but as kz has said, unless you tell us what you want to accomplish, it's pretty much impossible to tell you what app to use.
My use would be just to read and reset CEL on my Chevrolet suburban and trucks as well as my Jeep and Mustang. Nothing fancy just a diagnostic tool to see what the issue may be. If it’s something simple I will address it, if it points to a larger or more in depth problem I will have a pro look at it.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
You can do all that with the free included OBDlink app.

BD
Sponsored