Not impressed with steeda clutch spring

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Am I the only one who was pretty let down after installing the steeda clutch spring? There is a lot of play at the top of the clutch pedal now. The resistance does not feel night and day and it feels like virtually the whole length of the pedal travel that there is resistance that the clutch is engaging/disengaging. In other words it did not make it easier to find the friction point because it's most of the pedal travel. The clutch has 30k on it so I don't think it's the issue. I think the steeda part is just not as great as people have made it out to be. But maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.
Hey I know this post is ancient but did you ever find a solution for the lose play at the top of the clutch? I have the same issue
Sponsored

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Stretch it out from 2.50" to 3.25".
You won't regret it.
Will this affect the function of durability? I asked steeda about it and they said it shouldn't have to be stretched at all but I also have loose play in the clutch pedal at the very top

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Will this affect the function of durability? I asked steeda about it and they said it shouldn't have to be stretched at all but I also have loose play in the clutch pedal at the very top
About 6 years of daily driving on my stretched Steeda clutch pedal spring and still going strong.
You’re correct, there is absolutely play at the top without stretching that spring.

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
About 6 years of daily driving on my stretched Steeda clutch pedal spring and still going strong.
You’re correct, there is absolutely play at the top without stretching that spring.
Does it affect the linear feel? Also did you just grab both ends and stretch or did you stretch each coil individually with it without heat? I'm a metal fabricator so I can do whatever lol

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Does it affect the linear feel?
no. it's an intentionally weak spring. It's just there to remove free play and top-out the pedal against the mechanical limit.
Also did you just grab both ends and stretch or did you stretch each coil individually with it without heat? I'm a metal fabricator so I can do whatever lol
fire up your coal-fired iron forge, don the heavy leather apron and put that spring on a medieval rack and stretch that sumbitch till it begs for the quick, merciful death blow.

sorry, I was imagining the scene from Braveheart.

Sponsored

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
no. it's an intentionally weak spring. It's just there to remove free play and top-out the pedal against the mechanical limit.

fire up your coal-fired iron forge, don the heavy leather apron and put that spring on a medieval rack and stretch that sumbitch till it begs for the quick, merciful death blow.

Lmao. I'm Gunna go stretch that sumbitch out to 3.25 with my cold hard hands. Caveman style

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

I totally envisioned that

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Does it affect the linear feel? Also did you just grab both ends and stretch or did you stretch each coil individually with it without heat? I'm a metal fabricator so I can do whatever lol
Cold stretch, grab a couple crappy 12” adjustable square scales. One on the bottom full coil held with your feet, upper full coil scale held with your two hands. Gently pull up and sneak up on the 3.25” OAL dimension.

GhostWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
Cold stretch, grab a couple crappy 12” adjustable square scales. One on the bottom full coil held with your feet, upper full coil scale held with your two hands. Gently pull up and sneak up on the 3.25” OAL dimension.
I'm thinking just using my fingers or 2 needle nose pliers and grabbing both ends. I don't have any square scales at home.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm thinking just using my fingers or 2 needle nose pliers and grabbing both ends. I don't have any square scales at home.
Then use some metal flat stock.
You’ll want to pull it evenly as to not stretch it out of square.
Fingers and needle nose pliers are going to hurt when stuff goes wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: