Sponsored

Normal 10 speed automatic behavior (quirks)?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Now to answer your question. In s it is aggressive. you can be in tenth and hit the gas and it will shoot right to 5th and bang go... then for what ever reason it likes 5th and wants to stay there in s mode. If i put it in track mode and in select shift(s) it is harsh. both my buddies cars are too. Now in that mode if you drive it like you hate it , it loves it. If you try to drive it normal like on the street and in regular traffic its gonna shift hard and some times chunk. its not really meant for that mode on regular driving roads. you gotta drive that mode hard and it loves it. it will also aggressively down shift in that mode as well. short story if you are in track mode and in s and you are just driving on normal roads and in normal traffic the shifting is gonna be strange and at times harsh you may even get clunks as it not really made to drive that mode in normal situations.
I think what you're saying is that the programming for this transmission can't always match the way a stick-shift driver might drive. It apparently doesn't understand why you might want the match an enthusiastic shift schedule (gears used vs mph) up with the same sort of soft clutch/brake engagement that you would naturally do with a MT in normal street driving. Or that wanting manual control over the shifting doesn't have to mean that you're racing and need to minimize the shift time. Basically, it's still catering more to the drag racers among us and isn't quite there yet for the road course guys. At least in this respect.

Norm
Sponsored

OP
OP

mustang123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Although I have seen a few people say that the trans fluid was low, I feel like most of the issues (hard shifts, lurching and etc.) were fixed by resetting/relearning the software.

I drive mine in track mode with paddle shifter most of the time. I noticed that the shifts are quicker/smoother the harder you step on the gas. Like starting from a dig, if I give it 10% throttle, the 1-2 shift takes a full second. If I mash the throttle it shifts lightening quick. Biggest complaint I have for the paddle shifter is that it doesn't skip gears. Like sometimes I would like to go from 10 to 5 and do a hard pull. (I heard the new GT500 lets you go to the lowest gear possible if you hold the - paddle, would love to have that function for normal Mustangs). That being said automatic shifting in S or track works well too. The car shifts super fast, but sometimes it doesn't go into the gear I like, or was too aggressive. Like I would gently tap the brake and it immediately drops from 1 to 5 and stays there for 2 min... Like some of you said, it's really uncomfortable to drive slowly in traffic or narrow streets in S or track mode. In normal mode though, I hardly notice the shifts at all, the car just stays at 1k-2.5k rpm the entire time... (except for cold start, the shifts in normal was a bit lurchy for the first few minutes then all is well)

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
My F150 had the same transmission characteristics. Even after the trans update, it would skip 2-3 and clunk into 4th on light throttle. That and the pointless engine shutoff at stoplights made me trade it. It was an annoying truck to drive.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
My F150 had the same transmission characteristics. Even after the trans update, it would skip 2-3 and clunk into 4th on light throttle. That and the pointless engine shutoff at stoplights made me trade it. It was an annoying truck to drive.
Well a couple of weeks after updating my transmission it’s drifted back to less desirable behavior, although not as bad as before. Weird rough shifts at times. Bumpy downshifts. Seems confused at times. But only one harsh reverse engagement since the update. Worst behaved automatic I’ve owned and I’ve had 25 since 1972. I honestly would take back for my 2014 V6 in a heartbeat. It sounded better, shifted much better, and rode much smoother. The top wasn’t permanently wrinkled either. The new one is peppier, and looks better inside and out, but Ford dropped the ball on many things. I might look for a very nice 2014 next spring and dump this thing. Every time I drive it I’m pissed at the crude transmission and harsh ride on crappy Indiana roads.

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hi friends! I've been driving my GT 10 speed for over half a year now. It's been great. However, just want to confirm a few behaviors (quirks) of the automatic transmission, make sure it's not just my car that does these weird things.

Normal mode:
Everything is normal, although the car is pretty eager to shift to higher gears even at low speed. I've seen it shifting into 10th gear when going like 45 mph. Smooth shifts.

S, S+, Track mode:
2-3 shift very rough, almost feels like I got rear ended. 4-5 shift also pretty rough, but not as bad as 2-3. However, the rough shifts are not as noticeable if I'm press hard on the accelerator. If I floor the gas while shifting from 2 to 3, it's not rough at all. The shift is only rough when I do it while not giving it a lot of gas.

S, S+, Track mode (paddle shift):
Taking off in 1st gear, after pulling the upshift paddle, it takes forever (1-3 seconds) for the transmission to shift into 2nd. Even moderately pressing the gas paddle, the transmission won't shift from 1 to 2 until I'm almost at 5000 rpm. Pretty annoying.

Down shifting from 3 to 2 sometimes takes a while (1 second ish).

If I want to drop 4 gears at a time, I quickly pull the downshift paddle 4 times, but the transmission sometimes would issue two separate shift commands, like it would drop 2 gears and another 2 gears.

Drag mode:
Chirps the tires on every shift.

All modes:
Very occasionally I would take off from a stop in D, giving the car gas and the car would just sit there and rev, almost like it's in neutral for like a second. Then it engages drive and starts to go forward. Everything would be normal after that. This has only happened to me twice since I owned the car.

When the car is still cold, the idle rpm is kind of high. If I shift into D and just creep around parking lot, sometimes the car would increase throttle and speed up on its own for 1 to 2 seconds, then slow down. Not sure what's going on, almost like the transmission is shifting into another gear and shifting back.

It takes a couple of seconds to engage D from R. I scared myself the first time when I was backing up on a hill, trying to park in tight space. When I went from R to D and let go of the brake, the car started to slide backwards for a bit.

Do you guys agree with the behaviors I just described?

Final question: do you guys like to drive in paddle shift mode? Aside from the 1-2 slow shift from the start, the paddle mode has been quite fun. The shifts are mostly quick and responsive. When I first drove the car around mountains, I put it in auto mode, and the car would get pretty confused with what gear it wants to be in (the downshifts when I brake at corners make pretty sweet sounds tho). With so many gears, I feel like it's constantly shifting. I only use auto mode when I'm feeling lazy or around parking lots (the rough shifts scare me in parking lots!). Otherwise I use the paddles. What are your thoughts?
got mine back from the dealer today they did some update to the the trans and every shift is like butter now the 4-5 in track and sport that would throw me in the trunk is gone. Car drives great now extremely happy. Think they released a better tune for the 10r80

Sponsored

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
The transmission learns your driving habits but you don't do the same things all the time. It's trying to perform based on what it thinks you're doing. Under heavy throttle, it's a simple matter. Floor it and those shifts are amazing, especially in the higher modes. When you aren't giving it heavy throttle, you're introducing more guess work into the mix. Light to mid throttle in S or S+ and it shifts "harder" because you're driving soft in a mode made more for performance. Though, in S+ paddle shifting there is a minor delay shifting from 1-2 it should not be 1-3 seconds and if that really is the case, have the dealer check it out.

My last two cars before my '15 GT both had a DCT and under full throttle the a10 shifts nearly as fast and smooth if not just as fast. I wasn't expecting that and was pleasantly surprised. My suggestion would be to have the tables reset and keep it in D if you're just cruising and want smoother shifts. If you go into S or higher and aren't driving harder, be prepared for some rougher shifting, especially 2-3 and 3-4.

If you do that and still feel something is off, have the dealer check it out.

trewon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT
I bought my 18 new back in April of 18. I had my transmission check and re-flashed about a year later give or take. My main issue was jerking from p to d or r to d. My car shift smooth for maybe a year. Now my car is back to jerking in to drive. I have about 30k easy driven miles on it.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
got mine back from the dealer today they did some update to the the trans and every shift is like butter now the 4-5 in track and sport that would throw me in the trunk is gone. Car drives great now extremely happy. Think they released a better tune for the 10r80
It probably won’t last. Mine was great for a couple days then went downhill as it ‘learned’ how to be a crappy transmission again. It’s still better than before the update, but does lots of weird things. Most annoying is a jerk just before I come to a stop, slow change from R to D, and occasional harsh engagement when going into R. Sport mode shifts are still rough at times too.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Geez, my A10 is spectacular, in D/Normal mode, it's a Lexus, in Sport+ (either in D or S), it's a beast like an old school shift kit, fast and hard. Mine is also tuned, so maybe that included sorting out the normal modes as well.
Mine seems to be the same way, but I only have almost 1,400 miles on it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
I almost always drive it in D and in Normal mode with traction control off. Once in a while, I'll drive it in D in Sport+ mode with traction control off. Mostly on the highways as it's really aggressive for around town stop and go.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's because humans and machines/electronics don't work the same way. The driver is an analog kind of device with the ability to choose from a near- infinite variety of choices, while car mode selection is limited to having only six basic approaches that try to approximate the entire spectrum. As good of a job as the PCM and the A10 can do most of the time, it's not going to be able to find all of the "in-between" schemes that some individual human driver might want to use at any given moment. The electronics may get close, but the driver is most likely doing some adapting of his own at the same time.

Some people will notice this more than others.

Norm

Aldra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Iconic Silver
Mine only has 600km on it but it does seem a tad fussy under hard acceleration at lower speeds, with some other odd behaviors like reversing faster than you would expect. Apparently some cars have come with the transmission under filled, I'm wondering if mine is one of them.

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt, 2011 Lexus is250
My 2019 a10 does some strange stuff, lots of jerky shifts, the whinning noise it makes worries me - plus, I have 3.55 gears, so 1st gear is just about useless
Sorry to revive a 2 year old post lmao but did your transmission whine ever get better/go away? I got a 2022 that whines like nobodies business -.-

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
lol, actually no - 2 years later and its still whinny, jerky, and clunky. I checked and found the trans fluid about a half a quart low. I topped that off and it seemed to help a little.

I have about 22k miles on it now, and its still going strong... still loving the car

GT2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt, 2011 Lexus is250
lol, actually no - 2 years later and its still whinny, jerky, and clunky. I checked and found the trans fluid about a half a quart low. I topped that off and it seemed to help a little.

I have about 22k miles on it now, and its still going strong... still loving the car
Damn ahaha yea I got the whine and only super jerky when using the paddle shifters from 3rd to 2nd the car lurches forward quite considerably. As you said though, still loving the car. Thanks for getting back to me!
Sponsored