Sponsored

No remote start on manual 2019?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
All I want is for manufacturers to stop treating me as if I were an imbecile.
how is remote start NOT a feature targeted at imbeciles?
What next, sensors that detect the car is in an enclosed space and trigger the garage door to open up so you don't gas yourself or the household?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know it sucks opening a door that seems to be glued shut. We should try a crowbar next time yeah?
Come on guys, Tesla makes the hand-held flame-thrower. You don't keep yours by the door when you go trudging out to your car? I agree frame-less windows was a feature nobody asked for. In addition to just abject laziness, engineers (or more properly the designers) seem to think *weather* doesn't need to be a factor in proposed solutions. You see that in Teslas over and over and over it would be comical if it weren't a "you can't get out (let alone in) your car" issue.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Is the remote start missing entirely from the software in MT cars, or is it merely hidden/deactivated? In the latter case, couldn't it be activated somehow with FORScan?
Missing entirely. The remotes for MT and AT cars operate on completely different frequencies. To enable remote start you'd have to change out the hardware to match an AT and without the transmission present would open a whole can of DTCs for missing sensors.

Also, unless they completely reworked the case for 2019 the MT has no gear position sensors except reverse (for lights & camera). The gear indicator works off of a speed/engine/final drive algorithm.

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
All of the safety features that people are blasting have a significant impact in reducing high value insurance claims. As cars become safer overall and claim totals decrease, so do insurance rates. I was sitting in an excruciatingly boring work related conference one day, insurance related, and this very topic was being discussed and how it's already started to impact claim data. The presenter said he expected to see a drastic reduction in rates over the next 10 years as newer cars become increasingly more safe and more older cars are removed from the roads. Personally, I think it will be longer than 10 years because most of our population doesn't get a new car every 5 years... or doesn't even buy new to begin with, so it might take a lot longer to cycle through older vehicles in usage.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Missing entirely. The remotes for MT and AT cars operate on completely different frequencies. To enable remote start you'd have to change out the hardware to match an AT and without the transmission present would open a whole can of DTCs for missing sensors.

Also, unless they completely reworked the case for 2019 the MT has no gear position sensors except reverse (for lights & camera). The gear indicator works off of a speed/engine/final drive algorithm.
The 2019 service manual shows a gear selector component with a 6 pin connector in the electrical section. It appears to be located on top of the transmission, I hope to get a photo of it next time I am under my car.

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
do ford dealerships accept returns? if so, someone can purchase that remote start module and give it a try. install it, see if the auto start options come on the menu somewhere. if so, thats a good first step, after that, its just a matter of working out a temporary switch for the clutch.

if you dont see any new programming, return it to the dealer right?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
its just a matter of working out a temporary switch for the clutch.
it's way more than some switch. If the clutch is not depressed (thus releasing the interlock) the engine will not crank. You can defeat the interlock but it would be incredibly stupid to not also ascertain the transmission is in neutral.

There is some kind of sensor in the 19+ trans because that's how auto-blip knows what gear selection you're in the process of making and blips the throttle to match speed. The absence of "gear selection" signal, however may not mean you're really in Neutral. Is it really so damn hard to go start the car and sit there? Or if you must, go back in the house and let it warm up?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
it's way more than some switch. If the clutch is not depressed (thus releasing the interlock) the engine will not crank. You can defeat the interlock but it would be incredibly stupid to not also ascertain the transmission is in neutral.

There is some kind of sensor in the 19+ trans because that's how auto-blip knows what gear selection you're in the process of making and blips the throttle to match speed. The absence of "gear selection" signal, however may not mean you're really in Neutral. Is it really so damn hard to go start the car and sit there? Or if you must, go back in the house and let it warm up?
If the rev-matching is actually trying to match and not just blindly bumping the RPM up, the easy (read: cheaper with fewer parts/programming/failures) way is to measure the input shaft RPM and have the engine match that. In fact, you can ascertain which forward gear the transmission is in by simply comparing tachometers on the input and output shafts. Ground speed and final drive are irrelevant. (that may be the 6 pins... 2 for Reverse, 2 for input RPM, 2 for output RPM)

"automatic" rev-matching is a bit pointless to begin with as all it will do is save some wear on the clutch. Unless you're double-clutching, the engine cannot manipulate the input side of the transmission to assist in getting into gear... that's still on the synchros.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the rev-matching is actually trying to match and not just blindly bumping the RPM up
I haven't spent a lot of time exhaustively instrumenting anything but if I shift out of 4th, and 'touch' 3rd gear gate but not actually engage it, the engine revs to whatever the speed it would be at had I finished the motion. If I then go over to 2nd and 'touch' the gate it'll rev much higher in anticipation of engagement. The syncros still have to do their thing. It's not a simple-minded "just add 500 rpm" kind of logic.

The auto-blip is intended to minimize the "drag engine up to speed" scenario when the clutch is let out.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I haven't spent a lot of time exhaustively instrumenting anything but if I shift out of 4th, and 'touch' 3rd gear gate but not actually engage it, the engine revs to whatever the speed it would be at had I finished the motion. If I then go over to 2nd and 'touch' the gate it'll rev much higher in anticipation of engagement. The syncros still have to do their thing. It's not a simple-minded "just add 500 rpm" kind of logic.
"Touching the gate" should be enough to put pressure on the synchros and spin up the input shaft.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Here is what the 2019 service manual shows: so we have the usual power and ground, three gear sensor wires, and the mysterious RS.

mustang_gear_sensor.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
3 bits express 0-7 gears. which value is 'reverse' I don't know. RS could be reverse too.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Here is what the 2019 service manual shows: so we have the usual power and ground, three gear sensor wires, and the mysterious RS.

mustang_gear_sensor.jpg
VRef = Reference Voltage (5 or 12)
Gear Sensor Position 1 = input shaft speed
Gear Sensor Position 2 = output shaft speed
RS = Reverse Sensor
TRGND = Ground

BDCPM could be a neutral sensor. The only acronym I can find is Brushless DC Permanent Magnet. Knowing the gear selector is between gates would prevent the computer from displaying anything except N.

There's also that C1046 connector in both RS and Gnd.
Sponsored