Sponsored

Stardog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 2016 Focus ST, 2004 F250 CCSB Powerstroke
My biggest concern is that I'm not covered for damages caused by curbs. If so if there are blood stains, which I assume would normally be covered, it it ASSUMED that you drove over a curb and is therefore not covered? This is a slippery slope.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
This is an attorney based or should I say Legal question which all know when it goes legal........
The answer in so many words or should I say typed will be the only way this is handled. It’s now being documented in conversations and FP is reading this posting as well. Ford in no way is going to respond to this without legal review and legal response. If they do otherwise it’s what he said she said future argument. As Tom has mentioned it’s all about Time now which hopefully plays to our advantage. If we get an updated legal notice that says go play then that’s a huge win.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Dodge and Chevy don’t have these restrictions, right?
The warranty covers track days for 1le Camaros and I believe any corvette. For dodge it’s a little different any drag racing in a stock demon or scat pack 1320 will be covered by the warranty because they are dedicated drag racing cars. With the hellcats and other regular V8 challengers and chargers FCA says it takes them case by case. You might be covered, you might not. If your car is stock I’d say it’s pretty good odds dodge will cover it.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
The other thing for some here to think about on the Warranty Clause even if it did not discriminate on racing your car its a 3 years 36k warranty. I would imagine most here that are racing their cars will not put 36k miles on her within 3 years. And maybe some but the point is after 3 years you would be on your own anyways. I would think most here would own these cars for many more years and eventually your going to pass the warranty coverage anyways. Just food for thought and can only hope these cars are truly built to be raced otherwise what a joke.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
The other thing for some here to think about on the Warranty Clause even if it did not discriminate on racing your car its a 3 years 36k warranty. I would imagine most here that are racing their cars will not put 36k miles on her within 3 years. And maybe some but the point is after 3 years you would be on your own anyways. I would think most here would own these cars for many more years and eventually your going to pass the warranty coverage anyways. Just food for thought and can only hope these cars are truly built to be raced otherwise what a joke.
powertrain is 5yr/60k miles, and my plan was doing a 8yr/75k mile powertrain esp. I would have stuck with the 5.0 platform if it weren't for the history of covering track use on these cars. so far they have taken care of me, but my issues weren't likely track related at all IMO so we will see if/when the engine pops what happens!

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
powertrain is 5yr/60k miles, and my plan was doing a 8yr/75k mile powertrain esp. I would have stuck with the 5.0 platform if it weren't for the history of covering track use on these cars. so far they have taken care of me, but my issues weren't likely track related at all IMO so we will see if/when the engine pops what happens!
Good point on the 5yr/60k. thanks

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Bringing to light the 5yr/60K warranty on the power train......I just cant see Ford covering all out racing for 5yrs LOL. I will be blown away if they approve or reword this clause I am all for free parts so don't take it the wrong way.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This is an attorney based or should I say Legal question which all know when it goes legal........
The answer in so many words or should I say typed will be the only way this is handled. It’s now being documented in conversations and FP is reading this posting as well. Ford in no way is going to respond to this without legal review and legal response. If they do otherwise it’s what he said she said future argument. As Tom has mentioned it’s all about Time now which hopefully plays to our advantage. If we get an updated legal notice that says go play then that’s a huge win.
And if we don't get a favorable clarification, then that clause would have most certainly been used against you. As I said, a lawyer looked at it and thinks that you probably would win, but it would be a legal battle.

My thoughts on this are that Ford doesn't need any more bad press or a class action lawsuit. Does anyone remember the tech pack lawsuit? That gave Ford a bad name and stigma because they were inflexible to a serious concern.

I believe the warranty exception is a bad choice of words. Somebody messed up. I think they were trying to specifically exclude racing and timed events. But at the end of the day, you have to go by the written word. The written word says that any track use is excluded from the warranty.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
And if we don't get a favorable clarification, then that clause would have most certainly been used against you. As I said, a lawyer looked at it and thinks that you probably would win, but it would be a legal battle.

My thoughts on this are that Ford doesn't need any more bad press or a class action lawsuit. Does anyone remember the tech pack lawsuit? That gave Ford a bad name and stigma because they were inflexible to a serious concern.

I believe the warranty exception is a bad choice of words. Somebody messed up. I think they were trying to specifically exclude racing and timed events. But at the end of the day, you have to go by the written word. The written word says that any track use is excluded from the warranty.
Correct and at the end of the day I think we are on our own. I am sure the back end would argue that should you want to make your Mustang GT into a Track car you would have to modify her and spend some money. And once you start racing her to be capable to compete and things start breaking you would be in the same boat. And possibly in the same amount of monies as spent on a new GT500. Which in essence is why they feel you wouldn't be any better off either way. And I am not arguing with you just giving thoughts and different views to why this is.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I am not arguing with you
I know. I welcome civil discussion with anyone. The problem is that these threads sometimes do get sideways. Its starting to happen over in the GT350 version of this thread. I get the impression some people think its better to keep quiet and take your chances. Some of the attitudes are starting to flair up. Its sad. The purpose of all of this is that a review is competed and either the warranty is corrected or its intent is confirmed. This way, you are making an informed decision about taking your car on the track. Blow your engine and transmission, and you are probably looking at about $60K.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The line between timed events and hpde has been seriously blurred
Most organizations have different run groups depending on skill/speed
Most cars have lap timer,you can rent a transponder at many events...
A lot of drivers use phone based app for lap times...
Many drivers install racing parts such as racing seat, racing harness and roll bar ( Tomster, I believe that you have modified your 350 in such a way?)
And anyone that has a modicum of track experience know that a racing seat and harness is a requirement for fast lap time and therefore pushing the car more than without them...
Let be honest, we have a part of responsibility in the new warranty wording

EBTAGMOTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE R, 2022 GT500 PP HE, 2016 GT350BaseR

This article in Yahoo News this morning scares me a little. Although it doesn't specifically mention any specific vehicles it shows that they have been diving in deep on their warranty costs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-ceo-tackles-warranty-costs-110631452.html

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I wouldn't have a clue how many new owners want to track their cars at either type of venue but in the big scheme of things, i.e., Mustang sales, it's a very small number. Consequently, I don't believe even a class action of all these people would be significant enough for the company legal beagles to feel like they couldn't make their case.

Heck, as I recall, it took a good while for Ford and Firestone to admit culpability and belly up to the bar back in the day and that lawsuit had tens of thousands of plaintiffs or more, I can't recall. This particular issue would never rise to that level.

More importantly me thinks would be the effect on the company's reputation after marketing the car as capable at both the road course and drag strip. As was said earlier, I believe if the automotive press picked up on this, Ford would not like the result.

For the possible warranty money involved, I don't see the company risking their rep over what couldn't be more than a few million overall. Chump change on the 25th floor of headquarters.

Anyway, that's my two or three cents.

KB
Sponsored