Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
It's going to be interesting going forward to see how this affects the Mach 1. Why invest in a $70k car that is track enabled yet, because of exclusions, can't be tracked unless one has deep pockets. Based on Ford new warranty policy, I might just as well buy the turbo 4 banger and call it a day. :wink:
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The warranty covers track days for 1le Camaros and I believe any corvette. For dodge it’s a little different any drag racing in a stock demon or scat pack 1320 will be covered by the warranty because they are dedicated drag racing cars. With the hellcats and other regular V8 challengers and chargers FCA says it takes them case by case. You might be covered, you might not. If your car is stock I’d say it’s pretty good odds dodge will cover it.
SS and ZL1 are also covered. Even my SS convertible. Basically anything with a V8 and coolers plus the 4 & 6 cylinder 1LE models, which also have coolers.

Last edited:

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
It's going to be interesting going forward to see how this affects the Mach 1. Why invest in a $70k car that is track enabled yet, because of exclusions, can't be tracked unless one has deep pockets. Based on Ford new warranty policy, I might just as well buy the turbo 4 banger and call it a day. :wink:
Good point but and the same old thing if she breaks you have to personally pay for it. So how is that any difference than just buying a factory built one. And yeah I get it on monies spent but it’s all proportional.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
This article in Yahoo News this morning scares me a little. Although it doesn't specifically mention any specific vehicles it shows that they have been diving in deep on their warranty costs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-ceo-tackles-warranty-costs-110631452.html
After reading the article, I think it’s more a result of the former CEO Hackett’’s cost cutting approach. Quote from the article, “To attack internal quality problems, Ford has reconstituted teams that track the quality of inbound parts at its plants. These teams were previously disbanded as cost-cutting moves.” It is dealing with suppliers sending substandard products to Ford to be used in production which account for 1/3 of warranty claims. They were competitive prior to 2017 then Hackett went cheap.
I’m not saying it won’t affect tracking the car and warranties, but it reads to me like more of a supplier issue they are trying to rectify.

Last edited:

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
So here is an idea start the Mustang GT500 Warranty Race Coverage Insurance Program:sunglasses:
OK make a pool and round up some serious cash:giggle:
I wonder what the percentage of GT500 owners are racing theirs? That would be a great poll option to see how many would be effected.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ok, I just had a long conversation with Jim Owens. He is a track enthusiast just like us. He is happy to see us out on the track enjoying the car the way it was engineered to be driven and the way Carol Shelby would like to see us use our vehicles.

Now, pertaining to the warranty.....

I was assured by Mr. Owens that the spirit of the warranty is not to exclude track use. When he returns from his vacation over the holiday he will review the warranty and issue a written statement to that effect.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Tomster
Thanks please let us all know when you get this in writing.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
Tomster
Right as he dies on Vacation.....but Ford I swear he said........when it is in writing to all of us and not one of us and 2 signatures LOL. Just having fun no attacks here LOL. Thats awesome Tom good job now go eat turkey would you.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tomster
I know he isn't going to flip flop. Just as I said, I think the problem is a wording issue. Define "damage". IMHO, if a part fails (for whatever reason - failure in material, workmanship, or whatever) the part in question is damaged. If you are on the track when it happens, well.....

He has confirmed that is not the intent and I have no reason to think he will change his position.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
After reading the article, I think it’s more a result of the former CEO Hackett’’s cost cutting approach. Quote from the article, “To attack internal quality problems, Ford has reconstituted teams that track the quality of inbound parts at its plants. These teams were previously disbanded as cost-cutting moves.” It is dealing with suppliers sending substandard products to Ford to be used in production which account for 1/3 of warranty claims. They were competitive prior to 2017 then Hackett went cheap.
I’m not saying it won’t affect tracking the car and warranties, but it reads to me like more of a supplier issue they are trying to rectify.
From my understanding yes, it is a supplier issue, the changes will hold the suppliers accountable and have to eat some of the cost involving defective items. I don't now when the policy initially started in the industry but this is standard procedure, Ford was late to the game to implement this. I would say that this is actually a good thing

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
So here is an idea start the Mustang GT500 Warranty Race Coverage Insurance Program:sunglasses:
OK make a pool and round up some serious cash:giggle:
I wonder what the percentage of GT500 owners are racing theirs? That would be a great poll option to see how many would be effected.
With as much money that insurance companies make I dont know why they wouldn't do this. It could be for legal reasons, or liability? Ford looking bad for 'encouraging racing'? Don't know but its a pretty good idea.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
IMHO, if a part fails (for whatever reason - failure in material, workmanship, or whatever) the part in question is damaged.
Tom, to “damage” something is to inflict physical harm to it. A part that has failed is not damaged, it is defective. As an example, a large screen TV that has some defective pixels. No damage was imparted on the panel. It was defective, due to a failure during the manufacturing process.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, to “damage” something is to inflict physical harm to it. A part that has failed is not damaged, it is defective. As an example, a large screen TV that has some defective pixels. No damage was imparted on the panel. It was defective, due to a failure during the manufacturing process.
Damage is exactly that, damage to an item. The definition is not dependent on cause or effect, it is simply damage...... a part that no longer functions as intended or is rendered unserviceable. How the part is damaged is what all of this is about...... negligence. If you are negligent in causing damage, then you are on the hook. Otherwise, if it is a failure of materials and workmanship, then it is a warranty item.

Damage is the key word here. IMHO, this is all moot. It has been revealed that damage (as we have been thinking of it) is not part of the scope of the warranty exclusion.

So let's see what transpires after the holiday break.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
That's very true.... And the article was from January 2019 before the car even was out. The argument can go either way. But with that statement, I would lean to its covered unless your in time trials or bracket racing. But its up to the dealer and then if its over $1k (I believe from previous warranty experiences), then Ford becomes involved. So if your in good with your dealer, it could be ok....
If warranties are a roll of the dice based on where you live and if a dealer “likes” you or not, the warranty isn’t worth a penny.

Ford doesn’t back up their products like their competitors do.
Maybe I’m just bitter because my car is back at the dealership for 2 recalls, a drivers side window that sticks when going up and down, a 4-5 shift that feels like I’ve been rear ended and a return of my rear passenger side creaking/tapping noise.

DeltaMobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
My engine had a defective part that gave out during a track session. i got a new engine under warranty. The dealership mechanic told me Ford likes the Mustang out their driving against Camero.
Sponsored