Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
This has to be downloaded to a USB ? I endured that crap with my Explorer. Never again !
You “can” do it with a USB while driving. But over WiFi while parked is easier.
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
That's what I thought. So where does the USB use come from ? Oh ......... Wait ....... I get it. Some people like doing things the hard way. Duh ! :crazy:

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
There is an “Auto Off” setting where the car will automatically turn off after 15 minutes if not doing anything. Simply uncheck that Auto Off feature and it will keep going.
Where is the Auto Off setting located, I have looked everywhere and no joy?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
As Don and others stated, a USB thumb drive is not required as long as you have a strong and reliable WiFi signal to the Web. I do but decided to duit with the memory stick.

I downloaded the .ZIP file to the hard drive of the PC then, extracted the files to a TD.

Powered up the vehicle, gave her the TD, and in less than a minute,

"System software update in progress" (or words to that effect,) displayed on the first row of the display.

I didn't want to sit in the darn vehicle while it finished so I set a timer and came back in 25.

The update was complete and it said it was OK to remove the TD and that the system wouldn't indicate updated until the next engine start. Fired her up and sure enough, got the new home screen as indicated here previously. I don't know if going the WiFi route is faster or not but for me, it didn't matter, it was quick even with the TD.

Can't check with Mother Ford though as I removed the Telematics fuse not long after I took delivery so Mother isn't aware that I've done it. NBD. The ASM at the dealer where I purchased her is a close friend and even he tried to get me back on the Ford system but I don't want Ford or anyone else to be able to monitor what I'm doing.

Earl: For whatever reason, my ignition didn't shut off so I don't know what to say about that feature. Who knows, maybe the car saved me from a bricked system? I completely forgot about the auto OFF possibility.

OR... the software is designed to disable Auto OFF during a system update. I'd bet a wee bit of pesos on that.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Settings button
Driver Assist
Then you see this:
image.jpg
Oh, I was thinking that you found a way to turn off the Battery Management System, this is what cuts off the power when the engine is not running.

I have no problem installing the SYNC updates using the USB stick and the engine "NOT" running, but I do hook up my battery charger during the procedure. But thee are other updates that show up when you do a "scan for updates" that are not available on Fords website and can only be download over Wi-Fi, these are the ones I am having problems with download and installation. The Battery Management System shuts down power before the download is complete.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Oh, I was thinking that you found a way to turn off the Battery Management System, this is what cut off the power when the engine is not running.

I have no problem installing the SYNC updates using the USB stick and the engine "NOT" running, but I do hook up my battery charger during the procedure. But thee are other updates that show up when you do a "scan for updates" that are not available on Fords website and can only be download over Wi-Fi, these are the ones I am having problems with download and installation. The Battery Management System shuts down power before the download is complete.
My cars are always on trickle chargers. So I don’t have that problem.
And yes, there are other updates going on as well. I just let them all run. Guess I should pay attention to all the various version numbers. But I don’t….

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
There's one very obvious difference after the update. Other than that only Ford knows.

The media screen has a better layout and now looks like this:
20210513_190758.jpg
This is the update?? Gotta be more than this.....come on binary nerds, what else got updated?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is the update?? Gotta be more than this.....come on binary nerds, what else got updated?
Actually even this is the same as the last build. Might be a bunch of background stuff. Cannot see anything new yet.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
No free beer coupons ? Fail !

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
WIFI doesn't seem possible for me, car shuts off well before the update is complete.
Sponsored