New supercharger choice

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Looking to purchase a supercharger for 2015 mustang performance pack manual car. Considering 3 different options. I just prefer the supercharger on top design instead of the inverted designs.

Roush phase 1, roush phase 2(concerns for surging issues reported) or vmp gen3r but seems that setup maybe overkill.

The car will never see the track or drag strip. Run pump gas 91 octane(91 is max available in my area). This is a daily driver car with some fun stop light to stop light fun. This would be the extent of performance mods and no interest in running drag radials or slicks. Not looking for max hp and something similar to the 13-14 gt 500 specs. I would prefer to go with what ever tune is supplied with supercharger instead of going custom tuning.

concerns about the roush kits is the heat soak talk everyone refers to because I’m in Az with summer time temps in the 115 degree mark.

Roush phase 2 kit was my first choice but after talking to some people they say the phase 2 kit with an 80 mm pulley is just too small to safely run on 91 octane.

is running the phase 1 or 2 kit in Az on 91 going to a problem?
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Yes our 91 is crap in AZ. I run boostane in every tank. And a water/meth set up to help with cooling and octane. Plenty of people run the roush kits so you should be fine but if you run 91 by itself you will probably have some issues with knock.

OP
OP

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Yes our 91 is crap in AZ. I run boostane in every tank. And a water/meth set up to help with cooling and octane. Plenty of people run the roush kits so you should be fine but if you run 91 by itself you will probably have some issues with knock.
do you recommend going with the phase 1 setup given the fuel quality in Az?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
do you recommend going with the phase 1 setup given the fuel quality in Az?
I'm running turbos and don't have much in depth knowledge of pd blowers but a phase 1 with upgraded heat exchanger is probably a good choice. Or if you know you want more hp than that get the phase 2 and run octane booster or meth. Looking at your goals and intended use a phase 1 is probably all you need. It will give you stop light to stop light fun and any more power than that and you'll definitely need drag radials. I DD my mustang at about 600whp and it's perfect for daily fun out here.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Whichever route you chose, I went whipple but roush is a great choice, put a bigger radiator in it.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Looking to purchase a supercharger for 2015 mustang performance pack manual car. Considering 3 different options. I just prefer the supercharger on top design instead of the inverted designs.

Roush phase 1, roush phase 2(concerns for surging issues reported) or vmp gen3r but seems that setup maybe overkill.

The car will never see the track or drag strip. Run pump gas 91 octane(91 is max available in my area). This is a daily driver car with some fun stop light to stop light fun. This would be the extent of performance mods and no interest in running drag radials or slicks. Not looking for max hp and something similar to the 13-14 gt 500 specs. I would prefer to go with what ever tune is supplied with supercharger instead of going custom tuning.

concerns about the roush kits is the heat soak talk everyone refers to because I’m in Az with summer time temps in the 115 degree mark.

Roush phase 2 kit was my first choice but after talking to some people they say the phase 2 kit with an 80 mm pulley is just too small to safely run on 91 octane.

is running the phase 1 or 2 kit in Az on 91 going to a problem?
Procharger or Whipple, any other supercharger is 2nd tier at best...

OP
OP

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Whichever route you chose, I went whipple but roush is a great choice, put a bigger radiator in it.
just having a hard time going with the whipple gen5 due to the inverted design. If they still offered the previous setup, I would be purchasing that setup. I prefer the traditional supercharger setup looks wise.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Procharger or Whipple, any other supercharger is 2nd tier at best...
I don't think this is a valid statement. ATI makes the centris for Prochager (WHICH IS A BRAND), Vortech and Paxton. So if you think procharger is good you think the rest are good. ESS makes a centri setup that produces good power as well. VMP, Edelbrock, Harrop make 2650 superchargers which all makes the same power. Whipple is a great PD choice as well.

The roush guys all have all have complaints about the heat, and I have none of those issues. Heat causes detonation, so I would be wary of putting this one in my car.

To the OP there are options, people like the ease of installation of a Centri. But the real question is how do you want the power delivery handled, and how much do you care about how it looks under the hood. Another thing to consider is maintenence. As with these kinds of things, the more components to a system the more you have to check on to maintain it.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
just having a hard time going with the whipple gen5 due to the inverted design. If they still offered the previous setup, I would be purchasing that setup. I prefer the traditional supercharger setup looks wise.
All of the good running PD superchargers all have an inverted setup. the IATs stay lower that way. The Roush DOES NOT have this design thus more heat.

Sponsored
OP
OP

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
All of the good running PD superchargers all have an inverted setup. the IATs stay lower that way. The Roush DOES NOT have this design thus more heat.
From my understanding the whipple gen 4 and earlier models were an inverted design. I find complaints about the roush for the 18 plus cars but not much complaints about 15-17 roush setups.

OP
OP

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I don't think this is a valid statement. ATI makes the centris for Prochager (WHICH IS A BRAND), Vortech and Paxton. So if you think procharger is good you think the rest are good. ESS makes a centri setup that produces good power as well. VMP, Edelbrock, Harrop make 2650 superchargers which all makes the same power. Whipple is a great PD choice as well.

The roush guys all have all have complaints about the heat, and I have none of those issues. Heat causes detonation, so I would be wary of putting this one in my car.

To the OP there are options, people like the ease of installation of a Centri. But the real question is how do you want the power delivery handled, and how much do you care about how it looks under the hood. Another thing to consider is maintenence. As with these kinds of things, the more components to a system the more you have to check on to maintain it.
I am just looking for good drivability with the fun factor from street light to street light. 550 to 600 whp is the goal. Pretty much something similar to the 13-14 gt500 which is why I am considering the roush supercharger.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am just looking for good drivability with the fun factor from street light to street light. 550 to 600 whp is the goal. Pretty much something similar to the 13-14 gt500 which is why I am considering the roush supercharger.
my recommendation is pd
i read that you have a 15. roush is good there.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
From my understanding the whipple gen 4 and earlier models were an inverted design. I find complaints about the roush for the 18 plus cars but not much complaints about 15-17 roush setups.
Pre Gen 5 are all not inverted

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
For the street only you should probably be thinking about the shape of the torque curve rather than hp. Matching the 5.8 GT500 hp is very easy in a boosted coyote, but it also has 631 ft-lbs of torque peak on a fat curve that will feel powerful at low-mid revs, which feels great on the street. The TVS2300 you're thinking of from Roush I've heard has a nice "hit" so might be what you're after. Their 15-17 kit is not inverted (which I guess you like the looks of) but has a reasonably sized intercooler. But research it a bit...I've heard their tune is very safe but a tad underwhelming if you want to stay with it, but there must be lots of folks here who have a Roush 2300 on their gen 2 if you were curious about their opinions.
Sponsored