stecolny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi Guys,

I finally found a place that will install my Roush supercharger. What I wasn't expecting was the extra $2,000 for parts and labor for an oil pump. Is it recommended that this be changed out to handle a supercharger??
Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I hear tell boost likes to break the oil pump gear, as said previously, cheap insurance.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, if you have it open anyway...

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
It is very highly recommended. Whilst you are at it, New chains (gt350) they cost 70 bucks and are 10% stronger, crank sprocket, MMR Secondary bracket and ATI Damper.

Then shut that sucker up and forget about it. Depends how long you want to keep the ride though. I'm keeping mine for life so I thought why not.

I did all those when I put the Kenne Bell on. I helped the tech put the parts on. Took us about 6 hours start to finish.

When mine is idling, the motor is so still that you wouldn't believe it was running.
20190810_102151.jpg

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, you don't need a full new oil pump. Just the gears. If you open it up and it's scored to hell then you can replace the housing, otherwise you are good to go.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
I had it done, as other said - cheap insurance that allows me to sleep better at night. That being said, $2000 is a bit steep...

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I guess I'm the minority hear but I skipped the opg and sprocket because I'm not planning on over 750hp or above 7500 rpms. I just slapped on my $5k supercharger and let her RIP! If she blows then I would just buy a built mmr motor and go from there. So far so good but only time will tell!

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had it done, as other said - cheap insurance that allows me to sleep better at night. That being said, $2000 is a bit steep...
2000 bucks is steep indeed but as you say. Peace of mind. I was also worried about harmonics so thats why I justified the ATI Damper. To be fair, it is a lot of work getting to that oil pump. I had to do it twice. There is a story behind that. I bought some aftermarket chain guides and Tensioner too and the Tensioner weren't kosher. Currently going through RMA... Let's see what happens.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Did they change the oil pump??? Or the oil pump gear?

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
It's definitely cheap insurance to install OPG's and a new sprocket when doing the blower. We were lucky in the past with 3 of our blown Coyote's that we never did the upgrade on. However we thought for the price of the OPG's and sprocket these days it makes complete sense to install them just to be safe. With that said we put the Boundary combo in our 2018 project car Goldmember and it's worked out great for us.

We've got Boundary and MMR combos in stock with same day shipping so please feel free to give us a shout if there's anything we can help you with.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...yote/engine/oil-pumps-billet-oil-pump-gears-1
bdr.jpg

Peter15051

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT (Roush Supercharger)
I didn't replace the OPG because my car only had 1500 miles on it and a month old when I installed the Roush Phase II kit at an authorized Roush installer. The warranty covers me for 3 yr/36k miles for now. Before the warranty ends I plan on upgrading for piece of mind. That being said, if your car is over 3/36 then I'd get one on there ASAP just for insurance. However I'd like to add that despite knowing several people who've SC'd their Stangs, I have yet to meet a single one who has actually had theirs break. Typically they "know someone" who it happened to or have a friend who is a mechanic that assures them it happens. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I think it's a weak point that if you're not living in the 7500 RPM range probably is a non issue.
Also, the Roush Kit is 750hp crank and probably 630-640rwhp, so by modding standards it's a pretty mild set up.
Sponsored