Sponsored

New ssm from Ford ( Typewriter Noise )

nodie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0L
A key point for anyone wanting to tackle them may be that the noise overwhelmingly (only?) seems to arise after an oil change. If a 'characteristic' only arises after an oil change it could be claimed that the engine's sound, which is a key component of the buying decision in a car like Mustang, was misrepresented to the customer prior to purchase. I'm guessing no one was told by the dealer 'yeah the sound will change it'll tick noticeably after the first oil change, here's a car we changed the oil on so you can see if you're ok with it'. It's not possible to know if everyone would have walked away from the deal if the noise was there when they were test driving/shopping for their car, but some definitely would have and no one could argue with them if they chose to claim that.
Well said... I wonder if this would be class-action material down the road if this was intentional... Hmmmmmmmmm. I hope some lawyers get on that quick.
Sponsored

Ruby17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Just had the short block replaced along with water pump and timing chain at 20k. Tick is gone and I’m not going to worry about it anymore. My Paxton has been sitting in its box for 3 months and wants to come out and play.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt 10r80
My car went into the shop for the typewriter tick about a week before this tsb was released. Glad I brought it in when I did. The engine is out and apart and the tech determined that it was excessive rod side clearance. After measuring he found that the rod side clearance was over double spec, on two different bearings. He showed it to me and it was very evident. Had a lot of side to side play and made the exact typewriter tick noise when moved side to side by hand. Ford approved a short block, however it’s in back order for a month and a half.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My car went into the shop for the typewriter tick about a week before this tsb was released. Glad I brought it in when I did. The engine is out and apart and the tech determined that it was excessive rod side clearance. After measuring he found that the rod side clearance was over double spec, on two different bearings. He showed it to me and it was very evident. Had a lot of side to side play and made the exact typewriter tick noise when moved side to side by hand. Ford approved a short block, however it’s in back order for a month and a half.
Yep ... been my theory for quite some time.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-test-request.117273/

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
The engine is out and apart and the tech determined that it was excessive rod side clearance. After measuring he found that the rod side clearance was over double spec, on two different bearings. He showed it to me and it was very evident. Had a lot of side to side play and made the exact typewriter tick noise when moved side to side by hand. Ford approved a short block, however it’s in back order for a month and a half.
See, the tick IS normal. For an engine with excessive clearance.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Well said... I wonder if this would be class-action material down the road if this was intentional... Hmmmmmmmmm. I hope some lawyers get on that quick.
Intent to deceive would be difficult to prove, but if someone did an oil analysis of the original oil ie pre change and found it contained some interesting or unexpected substances questions could be asked as to the intent. Someone may have already done this. If it were found that these substances altered the sound of the engine it could be a handy adjunct; however, I think the difference between what a buyer hears before and after an oil change is the simplest and strongest line of argument particularly since it's one that would resonate with the broader community and therefore the folks who are likely to be the decision makers were such a case to be brought. Most folks can relate to not wanting a brand new car that rattles.

You'd have to prove it didn't do this from the get go but based on folks' reactions on here that seems unlikely to be the case, and it might also be an 'own goal' for the defence if they proved that the rattle was always there as it would give profile to the issue ie 'we admit our new cars rattle'. The defence argument might also be that 'you didn't know your engine had a problem until you read about it on the forums' but while that's plausible and probably true in some cases it's not a strong argument.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Intent to deceive would be difficult to prove, but if someone did an oil analysis of the original oil ie pre change and found it contained some interesting or unexpected substances questions could be asked as to the intent. Someone may have already done this.
Yes, it certainly would be interesting to see a used oil analysis (UOA) of the factory fill oil formulation compared to the standard Motorcraft 5W-20 UOA formulation.

nodie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0L
Im sure this has been posted somewhere in the dozens of threads on the issue but there is some interesting information on comment section under this video on the tick.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I believe that is a MY 16

nodie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0L
I believe that is a MY 16
Correct, the SSM concerning the tick in this thread is for MY 11-19. This video seems very similar to the one GT pony posted as well a couple posts higher. It is all the same tick sound, but seems to affect a bigger % of the 18-19 MY.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ He mis-quoted the SSM about the oil temperature. Ford says the BBQ tick is more prevalent with oil temp higher than 150F.

He wonders why they all don't do it ... well, it's because there are differences in parts clearances from engines being manufactured. Why else would some engines have it and others wouldn't if all engines were all perfectly the same parts clearances.

Ford SSM 7718 - 5.0L Coyote Typewriter Tick.png

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
I am about to loose my mind and common sense.
The car has been at the dealer the last week some 300 miles away where I originally purchased the car.

I have provided videos and in written text explained the different sounds.

1: 2k slap
2: type writer tick

Now this freaking ssm comes out and now they are referring to this stating that there is nothing they can do. I am like wtf it is two unrelated issues, they are saying no it is not.

Also they sent me this video during week asking me if it was this noise I referred to

What the hell is this noise lol. It is during idle/car is in neutral and when they lift off there is some other weird noise. Now they are saying the the noise during lift of on idle is the same as constant 2k rpm slap. I was more or less saying are you fu... kidding me, one sound is coming during let off att a random rpm when lifting off and the other sound is coming during constant acceleration how are they related....

So now I am stuck and don't know what to do do. This is my second motor on which they have at different occasions swapped the injectors and manifold on as well.....
Did you mange to get it fixed? Had a similar noise and was gone after replacing the chain tensioners
Sponsored