Sponsored

New ssm from Ford ( Typewriter Noise )

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
Maybe a Ford insider who knows can chime in, but my bet is Ford does not do any extensive (key word) engine testing on any production engines ... only the R&D engines.

Besides, if they do you'd think they would have found some engines that fail like the ones people are experiencing here and do something about it. That doesn't seem to be the case so far.
yes thats what im saying, maybe there was not any failures outside of the normal percentage they deem acceptable, but yeah we would need to know the inner testing procedures, really the only way to actually know i spose
Sponsored

bluestar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Quick question, why does the "tick" seem to appear after the first oil change? My 2018 will be coming out of winter storage about April. At that time I'll be doing my first oil change. Was planning on going with Penzoil Ultra Platinum....

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Some folks, particularly among the small minority of enthusiasts among all Mustang owners, might be happier if they just knew what the causes were and might then accept them as a characteristic. I don't even have these issues in my 17 and I'd like to know the causes. But Ford can't be compelled to say so they won't, just as they haven't said what the causes of the ac and RHD oil cooler failures are.

Then there are people who just find these things annoying. If there's a cumulative affect on car sales Ford might fix things but it would have to be a hell of an effect to be noticeable in the US market, and maybe quite easily addressed by a reduction in sales margin. I don't recall BMW sales being affected by poor M3 V8 crank tolerances or Porsche sales being affected by Cayenne engine failures.

As for their release saying the tick is normal, remember this is a company that was fined AUD10m recently for unconscionable conduct over telling owners that transmission failures in one of their small cars was due to operator error.

Where the presence of these issues doesn't affect normal operation the current options seem to be either live with it (extended warranty maybe) / hope there's an aftermarket fix that doesn't void the warranty, or sell it.

abbeynormal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PPGT Magnetic
Quick question, why does the "tick" seem to appear after the first oil change? My 2018 will be coming out of winter storage about April. At that time I'll be doing my first oil change. Was planning on going with Penzoil Ultra Platinum....
I think the theory is that Ford is putting a (mystery) additive in the engine at the factory that stops the cavitation noise. It's lost when the oil is changed.

ETA - Found it: XL-17

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Theory is the anti-friction/anti-wear coating that's built up on parts from oil being ran is being stripped away by the new oil at an oil change. That is a known thing that happens. Also explains why an additive like Ceratec or XL-17 (anti-friction/anti-wear additive) quiets the BBQ ticking in short order. And also explains why some guys report that their ticking slowly goes away the longer the oil is ran, but then shows up again with a new oil change - the new oil stripped off the built up anti-wear layer.

I think one thing to try to quiet the ticking is to run a good full synthetic 5W-30 with some Moly in the formulation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I don't believe any rattle really exists.. I heard the videos and it sounds just like my brand new ford transit van and mustang, here it most when its revving right up to a gear change from 1 to 3 in the stang and the transit van does it as well, especially if I mash my foot on the gas.

Dunno fellows

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I doubt Ford pulls production engines and fully tests them ... too costly.
Yes and no. Coming from the truck side of things, the standard is to have different phases of testing. The starting phases are all pre-production sample builds. These are fully tested on a engine dyno, and end up in test vehicles for validation, endurance, emissions, etc. By the last couple phases, the engines are full production line built samples. These should be exactly the same as normal production. The engines get full testing. There are also voice of customer vehicles built using production engines, and these will go out to customers in the field for testing. Up to this point, every engine gets pre and post testing, as well as full tear down inspection. Once released for production, every engine will get a short functional test at end of line, and every Nth engine will get full hot test (N being 100 for my previous company). Ford will also occasionally buy back high mileage vehicles for full testing and analysis. Even with all this testing, things get missed. Happens all the time, unfortunately.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I don't believe any rattle really exists.. I heard the videos and it sounds just like my brand new ford transit van and mustang, here it most when its revving right up to a gear change from 1 to 3 in the stang and the transit van does it as well, especially if I mash my foot on the gas.

Dunno fellows
Wut? The rattle clearly exists. It's a specific noise that only occurs under light load around 2-3k rpm. It has nothing to do with gear changes. My video of the noise was done in neutral. Mashing my foot to the gas makes the rattle go away.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang

Dunno fellows
It exists. On mine, anyway. Easy, easy, easy to hear.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and no. Coming from the truck side of things, the standard is to have different phases of testing. The starting phases are all pre-production sample builds. These are fully tested on a engine dyno, and end up in test vehicles for validation, endurance, emissions, etc. By the last couple phases, the engines are full production line built samples. These should be exactly the same as normal production. The engines get full testing. There are also voice of customer vehicles built using production engines, and these will go out to customers in the field for testing. Up to this point, every engine gets pre and post testing, as well as full tear down inspection. Once released for production, every engine will get a short functional test at end of line, and every Nth engine will get full hot test (N being 100 for my previous company). Ford will also occasionally buy back high mileage vehicles for full testing and analysis. Even with all this testing, things get missed. Happens all the time, unfortunately.
So the Gen3 Coyote went through all that development and testing and nobody said hey: "This thing ticks a lot at idle and it rattles like crazy at around 2000 RPM".

Ford ... send me a new GT-500 and I'll test it and if it's making any weird noises you'll be the first to hear from me ... LoL.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
Wut? The rattle clearly exists. It's a specific noise that only occurs under light load around 2-3k rpm. It has nothing to do with gear changes. My video of the noise was done in neutral. Mashing my foot to the gas makes the rattle go away.
This right here...^^^. My '18 is has the '2k rattle' and is very repeatable under light throttle load in that 2k-3k area...

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
So the Gen3 Coyote went through all that development and testing and nobody said hey: "This think ticks a lot at idle and it rattles like crazy at around 2000 RPM".

Ford ... send me a new GT-500 and I'll test it and if it's making any weird noises you'll be the first to hear from me ... LoL.
Seems odd to me as well. However, they can still make production changes after launch. Not sure if a change happened right when they started ramping up. That, or they heard the noises and blamed it on the DI.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems odd to me as well. However, they can still make production changes after launch. Not sure if a change happened right when they started ramping up. That, or they heard the noises and blamed it on the DI.
Yes, anything is possible and we wouldn't know unless the whole process was followed or audited for how complete their testing and production was/is.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
Was bound to happen, wasn't adding up, especially people blaming the plasma liners when in fact the 2011-17 had the same tick and did not have the liners. Glad it can be put to rest now.
i'm just glad... it's not in my garage! dman

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Yes honestly how did the Gen III Coyote make it through testing and nobody notices the rattle?
Wondered this myself. The SSM may indicate that they knew all along but didn't think we'd care and just accept it. Particularly since folks here have said that other models have it, and they seem to be selling just fine. Doesn't explain why they were replacing engines though. Unless someone at Ford in the engine replacement chain one day suddenly woke up and went 'wait...what?...oh no not THAT tick...that's normal!!!'.

A key point for anyone wanting to tackle them may be that the noise overwhelmingly (only?) seems to arise after an oil change. If a 'characteristic' only arises after an oil change it could be claimed that the engine's sound, which is a key component of the buying decision in a car like Mustang, was misrepresented to the customer prior to purchase. I'm guessing no one was told by the dealer 'yeah the sound will change it'll tick noticeably after the first oil change, here's a car we changed the oil on so you can see if you're ok with it'. It's not possible to know if everyone would have walked away from the deal if the noise was there when they were test driving/shopping for their car, but some definitely would have and no one could argue with them if they chose to claim that.
Sponsored

Last edited: