Sponsored

New Roush SC Cooling Kit - what does everyone think?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It mentions the supercharger but it is the IC under the supercharger that needs cooled to reduce iat2. This kit seems designed more for overall engine cooling and reducing under hood temps than reducing iat2.
The intercooler is indeed under the supercharger (and that's what actually cools the air charge aka IAT2), but that intercooler works off of coolant which is cooled by the heat exchanger that's sitting in front of the radiator. This kit looks like it expands that cooling, which in turn should help with IAT2s directly.
Sponsored

Tukman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2020 pp2 Roush stage 2 Mustang GT/ 2019 Bullitt
https://www.roushperformance.com/20...rade.html?mc_cid=08459f0d92&mc_eid=2a12c772ef

What does everyone think?
$2,100 for the kit.
I talked with the very experienced mustang / Roush tech at my Ford dealership today (super awesome and knowledgeable guy), and he said it is a "big job" and the car is getting cut up. Roush says 5 hours for the install on their website. The car would have four radiators on it.
Wonder if Roush will sell the kit customized to its customers who do not want the vented corner pockets and fender heat extractors?
I personally already spent money having the Roush non-vented corner pockets installed; so I may just have the dealer cut out sections of the pockets to allow them to be functional.
Wonder how effective the Roush kit would be versus a killer chiller or VMP triple pass heat exchanger? I know Killer Chiller is extremely effecitve, but I have heard numerous stories on PITA install challenges.

Thanks.
Very interesting, think I’ll look into it up here, there’s a good Roush dealer nearby me but the cost is kinda high even with current rates. The cooling benefits seem reasonable.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The intercooler is indeed under the supercharger (and that's what actually cools the air charge aka IAT2), but that intercooler works off of coolant which is cooled by the heat exchanger that's sitting in front of the radiator. This kit looks like it expands that cooling, which in turn should help with IAT2s directly.
I agree it could help some. I have found that the coolant in the HE doesn't get very hot even with the stock HE. Obviously, cooler would be better, though.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
In most cases that would be true. With the tiny intercooler used in the Roush kit, you would have to increase the pump and line sizes to see a benefit of a larger heat exchanger.

Also, I'm only referring to the s/c cooling side of the Roush upgrade kit... guys that have replaced their h/e with the whipple or vmp have not seen very positive results (with the 2650 kit only)...

Here is part of an email from Department of Boost explaining what it takes to cool the Roush system...

Here is the thing. Intercooler systems are just that, a system. Upgrading just one component doesn't make a big impact. It's when you upgrade it as a system that you get results. For example:

-Your current pump moves 5.5gpm

-The next pump up is the Pierburg CWA50 (stock 13' GT500). That will get you 9gpm. This one is about $285 and draws the same amperage as your current pump (6 amps).

-The next pump is our POWA pump which will get you 10.25gpm. This one is $375, huge and draws 26 amps.

You would think that the Pierburg would be the way to go. Here is the problem. 9gpm isn't nearly enough to keep it cool. You need a bare minimum of 14gpm (more depending on boost level, etc). So if you get the Pierburg you have spent money on a half measure.

Another way of looking at it is to go with our Super Single heat exchanger (which has 1" fittings opposed to most others at .75"), 1" lines and the POWA pump. That's only going to get you 11.25gpm. Still not enough.

You're running into how restrictive your intercooler is. That Super Single, POWA pump and 1" lines flows 22gpm on our intercoolers as an example of how much the intercooler design is a factor.

The only chance you have of keeping it cool is with our not yet released S550 Titanic heat exchanger that has 1.25" fittings, the POWA pump and 1.25" lines. That will get you 16gpm. That's as good as it gets through that Roush intercooler.

There is no clear cut answer as to what direction to go. You need to weigh your goals, expectations, budget, timing, etc and do what's best for you. If I was you (I'm assuming you want it to run cool some day) I would buy a cheap replacement pump just like you have now with plans on upgrading the entire system to the Titanic, POWA pump, 1.25" spec in the future. Anything less and you spent a pile of money to end up way short.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

Sponsored

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
In most cases that would be true. With the tiny intercooler used in the Roush kit, you would have to increase the pump and line sizes to see a benefit of a larger heat exchanger.

Also, I'm only referring to the s/c cooling side of the Roush upgrade kit... guys that have replaced their h/e with the whipple or vmp have not seen very positive results (with the 2650 kit only)...

Here is part of an email from Department of Boost explaining what it takes to cool the Roush system...

Here is the thing. Intercooler systems are just that, a system. Upgrading just one component doesn't make a big impact. It's when you upgrade it as a system that you get results. For example:

-The next pump up is the Pierburg CWA50 (stock 13' GT500). That will get you 9gpm. This one is about $285 and draws the same amperage as your current pump (6 amps).

-The next pump is our POWA pump which will get you 10.25gpm. This one is $375, huge and draws 26 amps.

You would think that the Pierburg would be the way to go. Here is the problem. 9gpm isn't nearly enough to keep it cool. You need a bare minimum of 14gpm (more depending on boost level, etc). So if you get the Pierburg you have spent money on a half measure.

Another way of looking at it is to go with our Super Single heat exchanger (which has 1" fittings opposed to most others at .75"), 1" lines and the POWA pump. That's only going to get you 11.25gpm. Still not enough.

You're running into how restrictive your intercooler is. That Super Single, POWA pump and 1" lines flows 22gpm on our intercoolers as an example of how much the intercooler design is a factor.

The only chance you have of keeping it cool is with our not yet released S550 Titanic heat exchanger that has 1.25" fittings, the POWA pump and 1.25" lines. That will get you 16gpm. That's as good as it gets through that Roush intercooler.

There is no clear cut answer as to what direction to go. You need to weigh your goals, expectations, budget, timing, etc and do what's best for you. If I was you (I'm assuming you want it to run cool some day) I would buy a cheap replacement pump just like you have now with plans on upgrading the entire system to the Titanic, POWA pump, 1.25" spec in the future. Anything less and you spent a pile of money to end up way short.
Excellent info. So when does the " S550 Titanic heat exchanger that has 1.25" fittings, the POWA pump and 1.25" lines...16gpm" get released by Department of Boost?

That kit has to be comparable, or perhaps cheaper, than $2,100 Roush kit with its likely $1,000 of install labor - and hopefully, much more effective for reducing SC air temps.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Excellent info. So when does the " S550 Titanic heat exchanger that has 1.25" fittings, the POWA pump and 1.25" lines...16gpm" get released by Department of Boost?

That kit has to be comparable, or perhaps cheaper, than $2,100 Roush kit with its likely $1,000 of install labor - and hopefully, much more effective for reducing SC air temps.
Not sure.... [email protected] is the email address I used for contact... He is all over Facebook too....

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500

WOTPULLS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 and 2015 Mustang GT, Roush Supercharged,

That method helps with intercooler temps, but nothing with engine temps. I'm sure Roush went with an additional Engine cooler as well because of dual purposing the cars for track use. Not everyone Drag races, not everyone road races, not everyone goes to starbucks, you get what i'm saying haha. I'm sure if they released a kit this in depth, they aren't doing it for just looks. It has to work as a complete system. I know if I push my car hard oil temp rises first, then engine coolant temp (makes sense since coolant cools the oil) The car the entire time is trying to protect itself by pulling power i'm sure, if you can help "all systems" vs "one system" It probably is best for most users who are just driving their car on the street. I do agree if you are a street/drag racer and you just are worried about charge temps, then a more "one system" approach would be better for you. Not one part (pump only/HE only etc) a system like Dept of Boost explained. Makes sense.

I think this is a good discussion.
Sponsored