Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22V382000

Since it's 5.0 and manual gearboxes most, if not all, Bullitts are affected. I had these symptoms--reported here a couple years ago--but the dealer "couldn't replicate."

EDIT: I mis-wrote, it'a a PCM, not ECU issue (but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection). I hope Ford has really solved the underlying condition--my symptoms occurred when my Bullitt had sat in the sun--and not just applied a band-aid.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22V382000

Since it's 5.0 and manual gearboxes most, if not all, Bullitts are affected. I had these symptoms--reported here a couple years ago--but the dealer "couldn't replicate."

EDIT: I mis-wrote, it'a a PCM, not ECU issue (but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection). I hope Ford has really solved the underlying condition--my symptoms occurred when my Bullitt had sat in the sun--and not just applied a band-aid.
I had this for a bit actually so I took it in, but since its been in, and dealer found 0 wrong and couldn't replicate, I've not had the issue since.

In my case it would happen while I was driving. Even if I had been driving at night for an hour or more all the systems would just disable. Even Rev matching. It felt like the car just went back in in time to 2003 with its lack of modern features.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I had this for a bit actually so I took it in, but since its been in, and dealer found 0 wrong and couldn't replicate, I've not had the issue since.
Have you left your car out in a hot sun for several hours? That's when I got this problem, probably 80% of the time.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Have you left your car out in a hot sun for several hours? That's when I got this problem, probably 80% of the time.
It's only ever been outside. I don't have a garage to put it in.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I just read the notice more carefully and saw that the the issues may only happen with rev matching ON (hence the association with manual gearboxes). I've used rev matching since I bought the car--heel-and-toe isn't particularly convenient--but didn't think to disable it to see if caused the problem.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
OP, do you realize that your link doesn't provide any info about what you're talking about, right?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Will this recall affect tuned cars, as in wipe out the aftermarket tune?

ArtieTheOneManParty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I had this happen to me only one time. Started with backup camera showing an error, then I realized rev-match was disabled. I shut the car off, restarted, and toggled the rev match settings, and everything was fine again. I guess we'll see if I get the update, since I can't reproduce the issue.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ve had my entire screen go black a few times when backing up and I had to rely on the backup sensors .

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
One time my AC in my truck wouldn't kick on. 40K miles after that and no issues.
Software has error states built into it. Its possible that some weird combination of things creates some edgecase where sure this might happen but turning it off and on again fixes it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
We've been discussing it here
A little more info but it seems they haven't told us all that much yet.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Will this recall affect tuned cars, as in wipe out the aftermarket tune?
Found this buried in the doc:

"In some unique driving scenarios or vehicle conditions , including clutch slip
causing incorrect ratio, extended reverse driving due to miscalibration of odd/
even shift gates, and customer modifications [emphasis mine], a mismatch between the gear position sensor signal and the estimated gear calculation might be detected by the PCM resulting in a degraded signal state."

I suspect, but can't prove, the entire PCM software will be overwritten. Since manufacturers will often use 'modifications' to void warranties I doubt Ford will be sympathetic to your tune getting wiped; is a 're-tune' possible?

Side note: WTH is 'extended reverse driving?'

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Found this buried in the doc:

"In some unique driving scenarios or vehicle conditions , including clutch slip
causing incorrect ratio, extended reverse driving due to miscalibration of odd/
even shift gates, and customer modifications [emphasis mine], a mismatch between the gear position sensor signal and the estimated gear calculation might be detected by the PCM resulting in a degraded signal state."

I suspect, but can't prove, the entire PCM software will be overwritten. Since manufacturers will often use 'modifications' to void warranties I doubt Ford will be sympathetic to your tune getting wiped; is a 're-tune' possible?

Side note: WTH is 'extended reverse driving?'
Clutch slip and incorrect gear ratios sounds scary. Not sure about the extended reverse driving either.