rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
Found this buried in the doc:

"In some unique driving scenarios or vehicle conditions , including clutch slip
causing incorrect ratio, extended reverse driving due to miscalibration of odd/
even shift gates, and customer modifications [emphasis mine], a mismatch between the gear position sensor signal and the estimated gear calculation might be detected by the PCM resulting in a degraded signal state."

I suspect, but can't prove, the entire PCM software will be overwritten. Since manufacturers will often use 'modifications' to void warranties I doubt Ford will be sympathetic to your tune getting wiped; is a 're-tune' possible?

Side note: WTH is 'extended reverse driving?'
i got the fault on mine a few days before the recall came out. was reversing out of my driveway which is pretty long and sloped. i usually just feather the clutch but this time i let the clutch out and was reversing at a decent rate and boom, camera went out got the fault and my rev matching was gone.
Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Found this buried in the doc:

"In some unique driving scenarios or vehicle conditions , including clutch slip
causing incorrect ratio, extended reverse driving due to miscalibration of odd/
even shift gates, and customer modifications [emphasis mine], a mismatch between the gear position sensor signal and the estimated gear calculation might be detected by the PCM resulting in a degraded signal state."

I suspect, but can't prove, the entire PCM software will be overwritten. Since manufacturers will often use 'modifications' to void warranties I doubt Ford will be sympathetic to your tune getting wiped; is a 're-tune' possible?

Side note: WTH is 'extended reverse driving?'
If bringing in for the recall I’d suggest loading the stock tune prior to bringing it in. that’s what I’ll be doing if impacted by this.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I was at the dealer for an alignment and a message popped up on the service advisors screen for the PCM reprogram. I told them not to do it as I have the Ford Performance tune installed. I think I may contact FP about this update. Maybe they will have to provide a new tune to fix the issue. If not, no biggie. I can deal with the glitch if it ever occurs.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I was at the dealer for an alignment and a message popped up on the service advisors screen for the PCM reprogram. I told them not to do it as I have the Ford Performance tune installed. I think I may contact FP about this update. Maybe they will have to provide a new tune to fix the issue. If not, no biggie. I can deal with the glitch if it ever occurs.
Does that mean dealers are actually ready to do this now?

Sponsored

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Todd,
I'd be interested to know what you find out.

I have not had this problem, but have a late 2020 with the manual and the FP tune.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Todd,

I have not had this problem, but have a late 2020 with the manual and the FP tune.
Let me get on that tomorrow. I will reach out to Ford Performance and reference the decall/PCM reprogramming.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
If bringing in for the recall I’d suggest loading the stock tune prior to bringing it in. that’s what I’ll be doing if impacted by this.
With an E85 tune married to an SCT4, can one simply reflash to stock, get the recall done, and reinstall the tune?

Just askin' for a friend.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
With an E85 tune married to an SCT4, can one simply reflash to stock, get the recall done, and reinstall the tune?

That may be tricky. I’m currently on a Lund E85R tune so I’d be going to my flex tune until I could get to 100% 93 octane, then switching to my OEM tune. But honesty if this issue happened to me I’d probably ignore it unless it was long lasting persistent issue.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Doesn't reflashing the tune completely negate the entire point of going in for the recall in the first place? I mean other than for resale/compliance reasons, I would assume that unless you get a new tune file based on that latest PCM program revision that you're just getting the same problem back?

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Doesn't reflashing the tune completely negate the entire point of going in for the recall in the first place? I mean other than for resale/compliance reasons, I would assume that unless you get a new tune file based on that latest PCM program revision that you're just getting the same problem back?
That's my thought as well. I'm thinking any tune you install after having the PCM fix is going to overwrite it. Unless... tunes only write to certain sections within the flash memory in the PCM.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
One time my AC in my truck wouldn't kick on. 40K miles after that and no issues.
Software has error states built into it. Its possible that some weird combination of things creates some edgecase where sure this might happen but turning it off and on again fixes it.
Computers can get scrambled sometimes and just need a reboot "but turning it off and on again fixes it"

Intermittent is not unusual with solid-state devices, in spite of the big tech pushes.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Todd,

I just got off the phone with a Ford Performance tech.
He said in order to apply the PCM recall fix it must be done as follows:

1. Inform the service advisor of the FP tune when you take the car in and bring your Procal4 device and ODB cable. You will need to work with the tech to ensure he knows this and that the vehicle CANNOT be started until the FP tune is re-flashed.
2. Drive the vehicle to the service bay and shut off the engine.
3. Re-flash the PCM back to stock using the Procal4 device. DO NOT start engine.
4. Dealer may then apply the PCM recall fix. DO NOT start engine.
5. Re-flash the FP tune back to the PCM.
6. Start engine and procedure should be complete.

I tell you, I don't think it's worth the hassle of going through all that and the potential for something to go wrong. Now, if you are experiencing issues like the recall is describing and you can't live with it, I would say go for it.

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Thanks much for the info, Todd. :thumbsup:
I tend to agree with you. Unless I have an issue, I'm going to sit tight for the time being.

Thx again.

gw