FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t do anything fancy. But I’m 1000% happy with my car as a DD.

Full steeda suspension:sways:struts shocks progressive springs. Paired with 19x9.5 rims on 285:35:19’s. Cpe fmic Intercooler, with CPE charge pipes with HKS cold side bov paired with ford performance tune and Barton hybrid 3 shifter and steeda clutch spring.

It isn’t faster than prob the protune or base gt, but damn it’s a nice ride. I got a premium, so toss a nice subwoofer, disable center speaker and disable factory eq and you are set for that too.

Honestly, the cars a blast. About 3-4K in mods if I had to guess.

I don’t know if I’d get the same enjoyment from a regular gt, maybe. But it’s pretty smooth and sweet.

The cherry is sams club and Costco is a rock toss away, about 10 mins. So I get 93 octane for about 80c cheaper than the other stations.

My friend does that auto cross racing and he does quite well, won a few of those tournaments etc. he wanted to use my ecoboost but, his car grazed one of the cones on one lap, and it marked his car. He didn’t care, it’s his toy.

But damn! Mines my little trophy car. I don’t want a single scratch, was all for trying auto cross til I saw the cone incident. I pussed out entirely.

Was legit thouth, he took me out on some runs. Fun shit.

Oh my comments was meant to lead up to this point. As a summer dd, it’s a great car. Anymore power I feel I’d be in it all the time and wouldn’t be able to relax and just drive around without worrying about tickets

I get mid 30s on highway being manual
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t want a single scratch, was all for trying auto cross til I saw the cone incident. I pussed out entirely.
PPF on the lower 12 inches all around. Problem solved.
Or go slow enough not to hit the cones? :)

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Article? Everything I remember from Car & Driver, Road and Track, and MotorTrend was pretty non complimentary for the Ecowimp. Some of the (later) GT reviews haven't been great until you get to the upgrade models (PP, PP2, etc.). Even the upgraded version of the EB Performance Pack with more power (that they quit making after 1 year?), I forget what it was called, didn't impress (maybe because it was an extra 20hp, for like an extra $5000?).

I do agree with whoever said the EB makes a decent autocross platform. As weight and balance are more important there than power.

But if you want it, get it. In the end you are the one who needs to be happy.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in the mountains and I always catch up to GT's on mountain/canyon roads (I have an Ecoboost). I'm not sure if it is just people not used to driving their car or a home field advantage. If you train with anything you are going to get good at it. But i'm sure with upgrades (handling/tune/intercooler/ etc., the Ecoboost is formidable.
That's what I was wondering. That weight difference has to influence the Ecoboost being faster. Wish we could ask the GT owners.

The unfortunate thing is, the GT is heavy. I thought it was all in my head after owning my 2012 Civic Si for years, but after driving my GT and then immediately in an SC300 with a manual gearbox, the weight difference of 200lbs will definitely inspire more confidence in ther lighter vehicle.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I was wondering. That weight difference has to influence the Ecoboost being faster. Wish we could ask the GT owners.
they are both pigs. The EB nose is clearly lighter and it's torque (when not using that SHITTY-ASS factory tune) is nice. The EB is easier to approach, flogging it doesn't yield to pucker moments like the GT provides if you keep it on the boil or get greedy with the throttle. I liken it to dancing light(er) on your feet throwing fast punches ("touching" in boxing terms) vs a heavy weight, heavy on his heels throwing bone crunching thuds. Uriah Faber vs Overeem/Lesnar, but that's probably overstating it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I live in the mountains and I always catch up to GT's on mountain/canyon roads (I have an Ecoboost). I'm not sure if it is just people not used to driving their car or a home field advantage. If you train with anything you are going to get good at it. But i'm sure with upgrades (handling/tune/intercooler/ etc., the Ecoboost is formidable.
Probably all three.

You've got lines through those roads that work for you all figured out. Seat time for most people doesn't include nearly enough "enthusiastic" driving to count as "practice", except for the occasional run when the traffic light goes green. Half a lateral g will reel most of them in.

Norm

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Probably all three.

You've got lines through those roads that work for you all figured out. Seat time for most people doesn't include nearly enough "enthusiastic" driving to count as "practice", except for the occasional run when the traffic light goes green. Half a lateral g will reel most of them in.

Norm
Experience a lot of that when I road sport bikes. I quit riding because although I was commuting to work 9 months out of the year on the bike - I got addicted to track days. That's a deep dark tunnel. But after several track days, riding on the street was only exciting on the ability to not get hit my distracted and idiot drivers.

I did start to make fun of buddies whose tire wear consisted of a small strip in the center :cwl:

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Probably all three.

Norm
This is true. However, the unfortunate thing about living in the mountains is all the inexperienced drivers that come to visit. I already lost my Toyota 86 up there because a driver was not paying attention and ran me into the side of the mountain. I still get a bit nervous when I notice i'm in someones blind spot and proceed to speed up as soon as I can.

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium

The unfortunate thing is, the GT is heavy. I thought it was all in my head after owning my 2012 Civic Si for years, but after driving my GT and then immediately in an SC300 with a manual gearbox, the weight difference of 200lbs will definitely inspire more confidence in ther lighter vehicle.
I have driven a GT, and the weight difference is noticeable in the front of the nose when taking turns. I'm not sure if this depletes confidence in GT owners when taking corners or not.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Let's assume drivers are at the same capacity to drive both vehicles at their limit. My guess on a road course available to most people that the V8 ought to be the faster option. Doesn't the Ecoboost's lighter weight account for anything? What about in more tight techinical corners like in Canyons? Would the GT still win?

I do not want to get into the whole "it's about who's pockets are deeper," thing, but what if you took the cost of a Performance Package and dumped that interest free money into upgrades on the Ecoboost? Could the Ecoboost edge out the GT with $13k of upgrades?

I just like pondering over ideas in my head.
This is a silly but fun thread.

I'm going to take a literal approach to this.
Base model 4 banger = $27,000
PP GT = $43,000
Difference = $16,000

$16,000 is a a lot of money for upgrades. You could easily buy calipers, pads, rotors, LSD, wheels, tires, suspension, and maybe some aero and severely beat a factory PP GT. In the straights, the GT will definitely pull away but the upgraded 4 banger will fly passed in every turn.

Factory 2015 GT did a 1:43 at Laguna Seca. The fastest spec Miata qualifying lap is a 1:49 and that's in a 110hp car. An upgraded ecoboost will definitely beat a factory GT.

Last edited:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Probably all three.

Norm
I have seen old ladies in a stockish Subrau BRZ outrun a guy in a Ford GT supercar (prior gen) at a track day. The better driver wins most of the time.

On the street, how much of the so called winners are "compeating" against people who aren't racing them?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have driven a GT, and the weight difference is noticeable in the front of the nose when taking turns. I'm not sure if this depletes confidence in GT owners when taking corners or not.
The weight in the front is pretty nice so we can use the front tire grip effectively.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a silly but fun thread.

I'm going to take a literal approach to this.
Base model 4 banger = $27,000
PP GT = $43,000
Difference = $16,000

$16,000 is a a lot of money for upgrades. You could easily buy calipers, pads, rotors, LSD, wheels, tires, suspension, and maybe some aero and severely beat a factory PP GT. In the straights, the GT will definitely pull away but the upgraded 4 banger will fly passed in every turn.

Factory 2015 GT did a 1:43 at Laguna Seca. The fastest spec Miata qualifying lap is a 1:49 and that's in a 110hp car. An upgraded ecoboost will definitely beat a factory GT.
I'm so glad you were literal and not metaphorical. My poor brain just would not have been able to tell the difference.