Sponsored

Never Normal Mode

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
I'm shocked, the 6SPD can learn can learn the driving habits?
From what i read, the s197 supposedly did. Mine definitely did bc it just got slower and less throttle response over time until I reflashed the tune
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
How about when getting into 3rd......my revs begin to go up, then it feels like the tcc kicks in, brings me down 2-300 rpm, then comes back up......it should be a linear transition gear by gear, mine is all over the map unless I'm 100% wot.
That's the transmission locking up in the torque converter

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
I'm sure I'd agree if I had an automatic. With a manual, however, the only difference I can perceive at all between Sport and Normal is how the suspension feels. Everything else is the same.
*cries in base suspension*

Sponsored

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
That's the transmission locking up in the torque converter
Yup, thats what it feels like. The trans should know that under stronger acceleration it shouldnt lock up....just shift like normal and maybe when you get off the gas let it lock up for fuel savings. Even does it in sport mode which makes no sense to me.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yup, thats what it feels like. The trans should know that under stronger acceleration it shouldnt lock up....just shift like normal and maybe when you get off the gas let it lock up for fuel savings. Even does it in sport mode which makes no sense to me.
No they always lock up no matter what mode. They only need to be 'unlocked' when stopping and starting otherwise you waste torque and fuel.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The trans should know that under stronger acceleration it shouldnt lock up....just shift like normal
It's quite the opposite. The trans knows to lock up 100% of the time in 2nd through 10th even during shifts or hard acceleration.

It's only unlocked briefly in 1st gear, otherwise it locks up and remains that way on purpose.

This isn't your grand-pappy's ancient 3 or 4 speed automatic.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Normal mode in the GT500 is just weird. The car feels really slow if you forget to put it in Sport at least. I'm not honestly sure why it exists for this car.

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
It's quite the opposite. The trans knows to lock up 100% of the time in 2nd through 10th even during shifts or hard acceleration.

It's only unlocked briefly in 1st gear, otherwise it locks up and remains that way on purpose.

This isn't your grand-pappy's ancient 3 or 4 speed automatic.
Understood, I have owned quite a few cars over the years (4th stang) and not new to the game so to speak. This is my first automatic where it engages the tcc during harder acceleration. Oh well, I will deal with the issue, just doesnt feel like it should. (Personal preference of course)

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Oh well, I will deal with the issue, just doesnt feel like it should.
Why would you deal with something that doesn't feel right? Maybe there is an issue that can be resolved. I'm guessing you haven't reached out to Roush yet.

Try re-setting the learned parameters by unplugging the battery for 20-30 minutes.
Certainly worth a try.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Here's a good example...it was 29° on the way in to work, normally I drive in My Mode which is Sport+ with Sport exhaust. Because the car has summer only tires, when it's dark and under 40° I use Normal mode and toggle the exhaust to sport/track. The traction control is a bit more aggressive and keeps the rear end in line (mostly). If it's raining, wet/snow mode for even more stability. Still want it to default to My Mode, but at least it's a hard switch to toggle to the different modes.
Sponsored